I'm short! Please help!!!

Options
Hi! I'm currently 54 kilos and my height is 5ft 1.5 inches. According to my research, my 'goal weight' should be somewhere around 49-50 kilos.

According to a bunch of different websites, my daily calorie requirement for my goal weight is somewhere between 1100- 1250 calories a day. RIDICULOUS. So either I'm NEVER going to reach my goal weight because I insist on netting at least 1200 a day, or I'll be on 1250 calories a day forever. Best case scenario.

What do other short people do? This maths just doesn't add up.

Can anyone help, please!?

Replies

• MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm short, 5'1" to be exact.

My calorie intake is around 1450 cals with exercise. On non-workout days I consume 1200-1300 calories. I lose about a pound to 0.8 a week. I only eat half of my exercise calories, because when I tried eating it all back I maintained. But if I only wanted to lose 0.5 lb a week, my intake would be much higher.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I stay with about 1250 net. If I go over that, or eat back all my exercise calories, I maintain just like PP mentioned. I eat back about half of my calories.

So, yes, you're going to be on 1200-1250 until you go to maintenance. But on exercise days, it's much easier since you are able to eat a little more.
  • clair3jane
    clair3jane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    But that's just the thing--apparently my MAINTENANCE calories for my goal weight is 1150-1250. According to Myfitnesspal, I'll get to my goal weight soon enough if I eat 1200 calories a day... and I'll have to continue eating 1200 calories a day forever. BUT according to other websites, my maintenance calories is LESS THAN 1200, which is apparently unhealthy.

This is all because I'm so damn short!!!
  • clair3jane
    Options
    And yes I'm talking about net calories!
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". According to MFP, I should have 1330 cals plus exercise cals (and that gives me an extra 300-600 depending on what I do). The answer seems to be move.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Oh, my goal is 120-125, something like 55-57 kg.
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and started out at 167lbs. In 70 days I have managed to lose 14 lbs eating 1500-1800cal a day (net). Of course I have had days where I eat 1300 and days when I eat 2200. My suggestion to you is make sure you add weight training into your exercise routine. Muscle burns more calories than fat and ups your metabolism.
  • denyse24
    denyse24 Posts: 62
    Options
    I am 5 foot 1 inches tall and since being part of MFP I net 1200 calories daily and exercise about 4 times a week and very rarely eat any of my exercise calories back . It seem to me that short people tend to lose much slower that taller people but I do lose about .5 to 1 lb a week . Don`t despair keep it up and you will reach your goal
  • kandeelopez
    kandeelopez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and started out at 167lbs. In 70 days I have managed to lose 14 lbs eating 1500-1800cal a day (net). Of course I have had days where I eat 1300 and days when I eat 2200. My suggestion to you is make sure you add weight training into your exercise routine. Muscle burns more calories than fat and ups your metabolism.

Same here! I'm 5'2.5" and 163 lbs (74 kgs). I wasn't losing well eating only 1200 cal. When a fit woman told me to increase my caloric intake to 1500 a day, I lost 1.8 lbs (0.8 kgs) in one week! So don't despair, ilikeyourshoes!! :-D
  • DanielleLC
    Options
    Hi im 5'3 which is in the short range at 1290 a day i usual stick to that (and get more calories by exercising) and can eat quite alot with the right food choices. You really have to take you food back to basic's - no processed food (they contain all the calories in hidden fats & sugars).

Check out some shorties food diaries (including mine if you like) to expand you mind on food choice and find some inspriation.

Don't be discouraged. Once you are used to the calories and eat reguarly through they day 5-6 small meals you will feel full for longer and definately get to you right height/weight ratio.

Also, changing your food choices clears your mind and makes you body feel young and energetic!

Check out what others eat - I think you will come out a winner!

Have fun!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    What do other short people do? This maths just doesn't add up.

Can anyone help, please!?

i'm 5 foot and i only plan a deficit of 150 calories each day (1230), meaning i lose .3 pounds a week. the truth is if you want to eat more than 1200 calories, even in maintenance, you are going to have to become super active.
  • clair3jane
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I do weight training 3 times a week, and 5 hours of cardio a week (5 sessions) and I've also started to do pilates 3 times a week. I don't think I could possibly do any more.

Also, I'm concerned with my net calories... I am aiming for a net of 1200 calories a day, and I will be aiming for that after I reach my goal weight of 50 kilos. Though I don't know now if that will ever happen.
  • OneLostSock
    Options
    Weight training does not help with weight loss but it will help with inch loss.

I'm 5ft 1 and a half too! I find if i want a loss then i stick to 1200 cals per day and i dont eat back all of my exercise cals (at most, half of them). It's the only way it works for me.
  • clair3jane
    Options
    Do you mean that your net calories is lower than 1200? What are your net calories, if not 1200? ARRHGHGHGHGH this is doing my head in!

I was netting about 1000 net calories a day but I wasn't losing weight and then my period stopped and I'm pretty sure I was in starvation mode!!
  • clair3jane
    Options
    I am 5 foot 1 inches tall and since being part of MFP I net 1200 calories daily and exercise about 4 times a week and very rarely eat any of my exercise calories back . It seem to me that short people tend to lose much slower that taller people but I do lose about .5 to 1 lb a week . Don`t despair keep it up and you will reach your goal

I'm confused, because if you are netting 1200 calories, doesn't that mean that you ARE eating your exercise calories back? :S
  • shockingpink33
    shockingpink33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 9", soooo i'm also curious about how much height affects how many calories you should consume per day. Especially since my daily suggested intake is also 1,200 calories, while someone that is 5 1" has the same suggested amount of calories per day.
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    I'm 4ft 11
  • gmlola
    gmlola Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im 5,0 and eat 1250 cals sometimes less cus I'm not too hungry. I exercise 4 times a week for around 1-2 hrs per day. I not sure I'm eating enough. I don't eat exercise calories back.