is anyone else gaining inches before losing them?

Options
has anyone else noticed this?

i seem look heavier before dropping pounds and inches. right now my double chin is really prominent after hardly seeming to be there at all. also my stomach is hard and rounded after having been flat for a while.

i know it means a loss is coming but... frustrating.

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Really watch your sodium intake. It could just be water retention. If you have gone over on your sodium count, you can help flush a lot of it out of your system by drinking a lot of water. I feel bloated and bigger on days like that. It could possibly be what's happening to you too. Hang in there... it does get better, and easier. :)
  • Lets_Do_It
    Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
    Options
    Ooh! Ooh! *Raises hand as if in class* I did! D: I was so mad. I gained 3 inches when I lost 6 or so pounds. (my first 6 pounds) I was so mad at myself. And I didn't check my inches for a month and I dropped 5 inches... O_O I think it's your body trying to keep water or something o:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Really watch your sodium intake. It could just be water retention. If you have gone over on your sodium count, you can help flush a lot of it out of your system by drinking a lot of water. I feel bloated and bigger on days like that. It could possibly be what's happening to you too. Hang in there... it does get better, and easier. :)

I agree with this.....once I lower my sodium it all goes back and I see a lbs/inches loss
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better ..
    I spent a whole week doing at least 1.5 hours of fast-paced walking.. spanning anywhere from 5-9 miles a day. I was getting more bloated, puffier, and felt like all my hard work was for nothing.
    Monday-Sunday I plowed through.. looking for the scale to drop.. and nothing. I stayed the same, maybe lost .4 pound or even gained on some days.
    Then.. the next Wednesday hit and I started to drop. Especially after my monthly time.
    And I realized it takes the body a little while to get over the initial shock and it will get back into the rhythm of homeostasis, or keeping an equilibrium.
    And I dropped the pesky 2 pounds that wouldn't seem to move me out of my plateau. And it's been gravy since then.
    I think everyone's plateau hits, and you have to push through it. Don't give up! Your body is most likely recovering from rapid changes as well as building protective muscle and giving you a healthier body to move around in! :) Keep it up!
  • JolieBlonde
    Options
    Yes! I think that's normal. I always feel huge and bloated when I start working out after not being active for awhile. Who knows what the exact cause is. Lactic acid, sodium, or maybe just your body going into starvation mode. It can be discouraging which is why it's so important to listen to great music or go for a walk in an area that you like ... etc. Try to make some pleasurable association with your exercise so your body will crave it. I know it's hard but try not to expect to see immediate results as it takes time for your body to build muscle and let the fat go :)
  • ChChCharlie
    Options
    I know what you mean! Even my mum notices and says she thinks I'm going to drop a couple. I can feel firm and a little toned (especially the belly area) only to wake up one morning and its all squidgy and jelly like...ewww! At first I'd panic and try to think about what I'd done wrong. Over the next day or 2 I'll tighten up again and then I see a difference on the scales or tape measure.

I like to think it's the fat being broken down before being shifted... not very scientific I know, but that's how it feels!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! Even my mum notices and says she thinks I'm going to drop a couple. I can feel firm and a little toned (especially the belly area) only to wake up one morning and its all squidgy and jelly like...ewww! At first I'd panic and try to think about what I'd done wrong. Over the next day or 2 I'll tighten up again and then I see a difference on the scales or tape measure.

I like to think it's the fat being broken down before being shifted... not very scientific I know, but that's how it feels!

that's exactly how i think of it too. :)