Weightlifting

Hi gayes
Dose anyone here has an experience about gaining muscle and weightlifting??
Thanks in advance

Replies

• Dragonsurfergirl
    Dragonsurfergirl Posts: 8 Member
    My experience in weights is that I lift at about 80% of my maximum for 10 reps on each set of weights, then I redo the same sequence at 90% for between 6 and 10 reps aiming for 8. I then redo the 3rd set @ 100% @ between 4-8 reps - whatever I can manage. I bulk up fairly quickly (in the genes).
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Find a good beginner program and follow it for at least a few months. If you have access to gym equipment, try something like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or the New Rules of Lifting. If you don't, try something like Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym.
  • JasonPerkinsMFP
    JasonPerkinsMFP Posts: 2 Member
    Personally, I've put on about 20lbs in the past 3 months from lots of heavy lifting, and I'm OK with that.

What'd you want to know?
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Find a good beginner program and follow it for at least a few months. If you have access to gym equipment, try something like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or the New Rules of Lifting. If you don't, try something like Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym.

this "Find a good beginner program" is easy to type...harder to accomplish. i'm practically paralyzed by all the choices and who thinks this or that is best. its a daunting task...so far for me.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

this "Find a good beginner program" is easy to type...harder to accomplish. i'm practically paralyzed by all the choices and who thinks this or that is best. its a daunting task...so far for me.

Pick one and try it for a month or two. It really is that simple. If you like it, keep going. If you don't, switch. It's better to move forward with any good program than it is to waste time trying to do all of the research and find "the most perfect program ever" (which doesn't exist, btw).
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited June 2016
    ICF, Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, Grey Skull LP, GZCL LP, etc.

These are all fantastic beginner programs for several reasons:
    • They work compound movements (multiple muscles used at once) instead of isolation movements (1 muscle group used) which is best for beginners who don't need that much stress to promote growth
    • There is Linear Progression - each time you return to an exercise, you are supposed to increase the weight by +2.5 to +10lbs. Imagine a novice with their squat that increases +5lbs per session, x3 sessions a week. That leads to +15lbs/week or +60lbs per month. In 3 months, said novice will have increased their squat by 180lbs! No other program can boast such rapid strength gains. Bench and overhead will be slower/lower, and deadlift will be even higher (assuming you start with a low enough weight so your form is good).
    • Hitting each body part 3x a week, instead of say a bro-split which only does 1x a week. Much more efficient.

Do the above on a slow bulk (TDEE+250 calories) or a regular bulk if you are skinny (TDEE+500 calories) and you will see some serious size and strength gains. If you are heavy and have some fat to lose, do this on a cut (TDEE-250 to -500 calories), and reduce the volume a little.

Switch to a hypertrophy (aka bodybuilding) program after 3 to 6 months if you are going for aesthetics. The guy who can rep out 225lbs on the squat will see more size gains than the guy who can rep out 155lbs on the squat. Cultivate strength early on for your hypertrophy to benefit in the long run.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    I did the 5x5 program but currently on the 5_3_1. 5x5 is good for a beginner because you start with light weight and progressively add. Focus on your form while going through the light weight and maintain that form when you get stronger. Good form is essential when doing compound movement lifts. Squats squats and more squats to gain strength and mass. 5x5 was a bit much because of the squatting every workout. Can be hard on back, knees, and shoulders. I like 531 because you still focus on main compound movement lifts and its not quite the beginner program like 5x5. There are good apps for either that you can get for your phone which will help you plan and track your workouts so you don't have to carry around a notepad.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    If you are new to lifting, pretty much anything will work to get you started as long as you are lifting progressively. But the further along you go, the more important it becomes to make sure you are lifting appropriately to keep the gains going.
  • janejr2016
    janejr2016 Posts: 9 Member
    20 rep squats
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    I did the 5x5 program but currently on the 5_3_1. 5x5 is good for a beginner because you start with light weight and progressively add. Focus on your form while going through the light weight and maintain that form when you get stronger. Good form is essential when doing compound movement lifts. Squats squats and more squats to gain strength and mass. 5x5 was a bit much because of the squatting every workout. Can be hard on back, knees, and shoulders. I like 531 because you still focus on main compound movement lifts and its not quite the beginner program like 5x5. There are good apps for either that you can get for your phone which will help you plan and track your workouts so you don't have to carry around a notepad.

I think 5x5 is probably the best way to start and then personally I would go into PHUL.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

Strong lift or starting strength are probably the most basic ones. Start with one of those.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    find someone who can show you technique - don't want to get busted up by trying to go hard and heavy without knowing what you are doing. Just today I was cringing as I saw a guy deadlift all wrong - like "hello back problems!"

As for gaining weight/muscle - YES! and the best part is you get to eat more :smile:

It's a gradual thing, with time you progress too more advanced variations of various exercises. Do the basic 3 (squat, deads and bench) but also do other stuff too - there are so many awesome exercises out there. Have fun!
  • Learn to squat, bench and deadlift. After learning to do these properly apply it to a basic DUP program and you'll see results quick. Just make sure to increase volume (weight x reps x sets) overtime. Each week add a set, or 5lbs, or a couple reps.

Besides these 3 basic lifts, you can add an accessory day or two where you'll hit the muscles not uses such as traps, calves, biceps and shoulders.

This has been working very well for me, I've been increasing my strength very quickly.
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    edited August 2016
    find a good free starter program
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    I'd recommend the Strong lifts 5x5 for beginners, I've heard a lot of people do this and it works. Watching YouTube videos on proper form from experience weightlifters would probably help. It's best to start out with proper form than trying to correct it later, might as well ingrain it in your head from the very beginning. That way you don't wreck yourself later once you start lifting heavy.

I personally do a Chest/Shoulder/Tricep Day, a Back/Bi Day, and a Leg Day. I throw cardio in there too as that is important. Protein within an hour of lifting, for muscle repair, (actually, just eat a lot of protein throughout your day in general) some say have protein before, some say after, I personally do it within an hour afterwards. Each day I do 3-4 exercises for each muscle group, with 3-4 sets at 10 reps, 6-8 reps if I'm lifting max. I have to say, squats are super important!

If you'd like to know more specifically what lifts for what day feel free to ask, I'm sure lots of people have a variety of lifts they know that isolate certain muscle groups. :)

What are you looking to work on currently with your lifting?
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Check out the book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews - it's one option for a starting place.
  • janejr2016
    janejr2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Go mad