How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• Perpkern
    Perpkern Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Every day. Wake up, toilet, weigh.

I use Omron scales which measure body fat too. I try to ignore daily fluctuations. For example, today I am 0.2kg lighter than yesterday, but my body fat supposedly increased by 1.1%. I know impedance measurements can be inconsistent in the short term, but long term I believe they are a reliable measure of progress.

Every Sunday, I average my measurements for the past week, and use this average as my indicator of progress. This method will provide much more stable results, and after a while, you will learn to ignore daily inconsistencies and focus on long term changes.

I believe that weighing once per week does not provide enough data, and if by chance, you wake up bloated for example, your one weekly measurement will be an inaccurate representation of your composition. Either weigh and measure often (daily), or very infrequently (once per month). The way your clothes fit is also a great way to analyse your progress. Using the holes in my belts is my favourite method.

Hope this helps!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Tossed my scale out a couple of de ads ago..I had become obsessed with the thing. Now I weigh myself at the gym a few times a week. I know I can go up or down several pounds in a day. I log it on MFP every 7 to ten days.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Up until a few months ago I weighed once a week, sometimes a little more. For the past several months I've been doing about once a month just to kind of check in.
  • AriaLace
    AriaLace Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week. Mid week on usually Wednesday or Thursday and then on Sunday. I couldn't weigh every day because I'd get discouraged by huge fluctuations so I feel twice a week helps keep me on track.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Daily at home at 7am then before dinner around 7pm but the weight I log on mfp is weekly from the scales at my local chemist. Theyre the ones I took my first weight from on week 1 so iv carried that on. My daily weight readings are just to keep an eye on fluctuations.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Every day. Daily fluctuations don't bother me, but I think logging those fluctuations allows me to see a more complete picture - my weekly AVERAGE is what I actually look at. When I was weighing weekly, the fluctuations were more problematic for me - if I weighed myself on a day when I was retaining water, I'd flip out - "what? I gained 2 pounds in a week?" The daily weigh-ins have been better for me, mentally.

I would just mention that using the scale at the Y may show more fluctuations, if you won't be using it at the same time of day, under the same conditions, etc. I weigh in the morning, naked, right after waking up and using the restroom, and before eating or drinking anything. If you weigh at the Y, it might be a different time of day, you might be wearing different clothing, you might have eaten more or less recently... the results may fluctuate more. I think that's fine, as long as YOU think that's fine, KWIM?
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but usually log low weights once to twice a week. The fluctuations don't bother me as much as they used to, especially if I know what caused it.
  • KatrinaDelRey
    KatrinaDelRey Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    1-2 times a month . I do it this way because I become easily discouraged if I check too often
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I log any losses once a week. I will admit that I weigh in more than that though just to watch what sodium does to me. I eat a lot of BBQ/Grilled food in the summer months so my sodium intake is usually out of control lol. I try to cut it back throughout the work week and weigh in on Thursdays or Fridays. I've been at maintenance for a while now, so I don't log minimal gains of <2-3 lbs (unless sodium isn't the obvious cause) but I do log losses if they are there, and they usually aren't very often.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Weigh every day, but know that you will fluctuate a lot depending on water weight, food weight, timing of eating, etc. Calculate your 7 day average to run with it. wx60ckxcbp9f.jpg
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after my walk. Get up at 5:15, have one cup coffee. Get that all out, then I start walking around 6:15. I come in, pee again, remove all my clothing and then weigh--then head to the shower.
  • lisastwins2002
    lisastwins2002 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers. It's given me a lot of food for thought. I like the idea of weighing at the same time of day every day, but in the past I'd become quite obsessive over the number on the scale. Which is why I don't have a scale. I have quite a bit of weight to lose so I may start with once a week and see what I think after a month or so. I've just been dieting so far as finding workout time has been tough.

I'll also check out those apps/websites that have been mentioned.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Once a week or I become to obsessed with what I weigh.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    recently been doing it everyday. i like seeing the number go down. plus it helps me not binge so i can be as light as possible in the morning
  • kprimaverab
    kprimaverab Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I am one of those people who gets very discouraged by weight gain and I have found that weighing daily has opened my eyes to the natural fluctuations of my weight. It goes up and down but as long as it's going in a downward trend I am happy. I have lost 17lbs in 1 month and I love looking back on my weight loss trend line.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily if I am trying to lose weight. I'm not really right now, so every 2-3 days, I'll step on the scale and see if I'm still doing OK and adjust if I notice the trend seems to be going too far up or down.
  • Billyin4c
    Billyin4c Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh about once a week and it's usually first thing in the morning.