Bad Days, How Do You Get Back on Track?

Options
I have had a bad few days and I can physically feel the bloat I have put on my body. I even have had bad stomach aches from the food I have chosen. I am not eating crazy, but definitely binge eating in comparison to the days before.

How do you stay on track after binge eating for a few days?

Replies

• hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I try to remember how bad it feels, both physically and mentally.
  • RosslandMTBr
    RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I try not to view bad days as a failure. I am bound to have a few off days in my journey. So I simply accept that stuff happens and I move on. Also, I don't let one off meal be an excuse for an off day or an off week. Going over my goal by 200 calories is not an excuse for a free for all. It's not about being perfect all the time, it is about continuing to make healthier choices over all.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I log everything from my binge and start over the next day.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I decided not to log everything from today because I cannot remember at this point. :# But I have logged all my intended meals for tomorrow and plan to get to the gym. I feel a little better. Maybe my body was craving something that I wasn't giving it. Hopefully it will be cooperative now. ;)
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that one bad day (or one bad weekend as the case was this past weekend) is not enough to completely derail me. If I wake up the next day and get back on track without beating myself up about it, life goes on, the hit to my progress is limited and everything is fine.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have relabelled my "bad days" as "accidental refeeds". My hormones (ghrelin, leptin, peptide yy) and metabolism have had a little chance to recover. No need to beat yourself up over it.

Sometimes, after one of these accidental refeeds, I don't feel like eating as much. In that case, I don't, even if it means under eating that day (obviously I won't be under eating for the week). But most of the time I want to eat all my calories still. So I do. Getting solidly back on track is my only priority.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it. Just forget it and move on. It happens to everyone :)
  • nikkitimkitembo89
    nikkitimkitembo89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It happens but when the new day starts act like it didn't happen just keep doing what you have been doing because when we dwell on it I think it just throws us off track for example maybe your at a birthday party and have a piece of cake and then you obsess and your like we'll I already ruined my diet might as well get 2nds and some ice ream too also I think it's OK to have some "cheat food" once a week I took my mom out and had Arby's but then I went right back to my health diet because you can't say I will never have this food again that's not realistic it's more of a life style change for the long haul that's why crash diets fail and how yo/yo dieting happens if you eat clean and healthy all week and your day for your cheat meal comes you can treat yourself I believe but just one meal you can indulge not the whole day I think it makes looking at this for the long haul more bearable
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Always log everything, even on "naughty" days - just because you don't log it doesn't mean it didn't happen! (I have colleagues who say - "oh, I do MFP but I haven't logged this weekend because I had party and drank a lot") I log even on holiday - yes, I go way over my calories for the day, but then once I'm back home I reduce my daily total for a while until I am back to my pre-holiday weight.
    You need to strike a balance between moving on and obsessing - yes, each day is a new chance to make the right choices, but if all your good intentions get overtaken by treats after 6pm you're not going to get anywhere! I find it helps to pre-log my day's meals first thing, then if, say a colleague brings me a doughnut (and it would be rude to refuse ;) ) I can see if I have enough "spare" calories. If I don't, then I will either change my evening meal option, or reduce the portion or (most likely, and the best way to have your cake and eat it!!) do some extra exercise.
  • megbugs
    megbugs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah it happens to everyone. The problem is when it turns into a bad week or even longer because the longer you stray the harder it is to get back on track. I also try to make the days I go over worth it. I always feel like crap about myself if I binge on peanut butter and jelly or chicken nuggets or something stupid (can you tell I have a toddler :) But if I go to a nice restaurant and have a few drinks and a nice dinner with friends and my husband I don't feel as bad because it was good for my soul and worth the extra calories.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Two things:
    1. Know you're not the first and won't be the last to experience something like this. We all have similar experiences.
    2. Keep your eyes on the prize
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just had 3-nights in a row where I overdone it...I reached a mini goal I had set myself for a dress fitting and got carried away over the weekend. I didnt weigh myself just got straight back into it, dared to weigh myself this morning and iv actually lost 1lb. My advice is stay away from the scales and be super strict for at least 3 days, u might be pleasantly surprised.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    megbugs wrote: »
    Yeah it happens to everyone. The problem is when it turns into a bad week or even longer because the longer you stray the harder it is to get back on track. I also try to make the days I go over worth it. I always feel like crap about myself if I binge on peanut butter and jelly or chicken nuggets or something stupid (can you tell I have a toddler :) But if I go to a nice restaurant and have a few drinks and a nice dinner with friends and my husband I don't feel as bad because it was good for my soul and worth the extra calories.

This is so true, I actually dont mind so much if it was worth it...like a nice 3 course meal with lots of wine.......hate it when I binge on kids leftovers or whatever rubbish is in the fridge. Definitely make it worth it!