when friends arent supportive or pressure you...

Options
While I have some people who are very supportive of me trying to get healthy, one of my best girl friends isnt. She always tells me to "just have one" or tries to get me to drink or go out to eat. How do you guys handle it when people arent supportive of your efforts? Its not like I can completely cut friends and family out of my life...

Replies

• whisperingdragon
    Options
    Stick to your guns.. :flowerforyou:
  • donjuan2084
    donjuan2084 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just give them a simple, " no thank you, Im ok really" and it's really your choice, so don't feel so bad about it..and in the end your progress will show..
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Am in the same boat as you! most of my friends are supportive about me loosing weight and get down to my goal weight and what not.. But others are just like c'mon soph, a bit of chocolate cake wont hurt!' im like no it wont hurt but as soon as i have some i wont be able to stop and i wil be back to square 1 again!! and other friends are always like oh my god soph your always excercising doesnt it get boring?! im like no! im trying to loose weight and all tha!

the best thing to do is just resist the temptation, and just turn around and say no thankyou im fine. :)
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It took several months of telling, mostly family, no to unhealthy foods and deserts before they got the message that I was serious about this. Both of my daughters (married) have actually went out of their way to have healthy meals when I've had dinner at their houses. A few family members, my sister and a niece have actually joined MFP and are getting into eating healthier and exercising too. It can be hard, but most of them will come around. If not, remember, It's hard to soar like an eagle if you hang around a bunch of turkeys!
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    You might also remind your unsupportive friends/family that you really need their support to honor your boundaries about food/drinks. Sometimes it's tough love to say, I really love you, but as long as this unsupportive behavior continues I need to limit or stop my interactions with you.
  • Zakth
    Zakth Posts: 37
    Options
    For some people it's hard to say no, especially if you have a loved one that's p resistant. But as someone else said stick to your guns. I have not had much trouble with people trying to force something unhealthy upon me (I can do that all by myself easily lol) but I have had a number of people tell me that I need to stop my "diet" because I'm starting to look sickly...?! The funny thing is I'm still considered over-weight if you go by my BMI.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That's tough, I don't know why people keep doing that once you've already said no a few times.
    I'd suggest deciding ahead of time what you want to drink or eat when you go out so you don't have to say all the time, but you are in control of what you have. Eating healthy doesn't mean never going out, it means finding a strategy to make healthier choices whereever you are.
    I find that alternating drinks with soda water helps, as an example. Or thinking ahead about what I want to eat - I'll check a menu if it is online to get some ideas, so I have a game plan and I can stay in control, no matter how persuasive other people are.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Eating and drinking together is a very social / cultural thing. It is like a ritual. Therefore when someone turns it down it can feel almost like a personal slight. Therefore, it is understandable if people get a little upset if you keep opting out.

If I were dieting I would say "that's a really nice offer but no thanks" firmly but politely on most occasions. They will eventually get the message. However, I would plan my free meal or diet break to coincide with going out with friends / eating with family on the others.

If people still didn't respect my wishes I would tell them that I am getting Falkor, the luckdragon, to hunt them down and kick their *kitten* if they didn't cease and desist (that is Falkor on your Ipad right?)