To lose or to tone?

Options
2»

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. As others have said strength training will help. But it doesn't sound like you need to lose weight so I'm not sure why you are at 1200 cal a day. If your health care provider has told you not to lose weight I would listen.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Also....to help you out some....7.5 stone is 105lbs. I'm 5'2" and 98lbs (7 stone) and still have huge thighs (my waist is 24" and my thighs are 20"). So I don't think you'd be happy without going way too low to get pregnant.

I am concerned you would think 20" is huge thighs

Ok, huge may have been an overstatement, but disproportionate to the rest of my body. If you look at clothing sizes, they make pants that fit my waist size with 18in thighs.

I've come to accept I will always have disproportionate thighs. They are heavily muscled and the place I store fat the most. And I'm not willing to lose more weight overall in order to get my thigh size down. So my big thighs and myself buy jeans a couple sizes too big and wear a belt.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Wobbly thighs?
    Squat it till you're hot (as in sweating and panting from progressively heavy squats)
    Add deadlifts
    Lunges
    Glute bridges
    Bench press
    Push-ups, pull ups

Get Strong curves (book)

Walk lots / run if you like to

Eat at maintenance
    Eat adequate protein

Do not eat at a defecit against medical advice
    Do not drop weight against medical advice

I cycle and walk but find my knee joints struggle with doing squats regularly, I used to squat and use a treadmill before but it caused problems, my knees now make awful noises when I climb stairs! So aim to do what I can with exercise a bit easier on the joints.
    I do need to review what I do eat more as even though I try to be healthy I do need to up my protein a lot.

I would almost bet your squat form is wrong...that's 90% of the reason people complain of bad knees

It would be worthwhile getting a trainer to form check / work on form with you

Also 21" thighs is slim

20-21" may measure on the slim side but if they're primarily fat it doesn't come off that way. Especially on a short body. I'm 5'4" with 20.5" thighs and despite losing 40lbs and a year of lifting they're still far from looking slim.

Did you miss that she has been medically advised not to lose weight but in fact to get her BMI up to 20?

Nope. I can read just fine. But you're speaking like everyone with a certain measurement ought to feel that it's fine, when on certain size women it doesn't feel that way. But thanks for reading into what I said. Don't believe I told anyone to drop any fat. :smile:

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wobbly thighs?
    Squat it till you're hot (as in sweating and panting from progressively heavy squats)
    Add deadlifts
    Lunges
    Glute bridges
    Bench press
    Push-ups, pull ups

Get Strong curves (book)

Eat at maintenance
    Eat adequate protein

I cycle and walk but find my knee joints struggle with doing squats regularly, I used to squat and use a treadmill before but it caused problems, my knees now make awful noises when I climb stairs! So aim to do what I can with exercise a bit easier on the joints.
    I do need to review what I do eat more as even though I try to be healthy I do need to up my protein a lot.

I would almost bet your squat form is wrong...that's 90% of the reason people complain of bad knees

It would be worthwhile getting a trainer to form check / work on form with you

Also 21" thighs is slim

20-21" may measure on the slim side but if they're primarily fat it doesn't come off that way. Especially on a short body. I'm 5'4" with 20.5" thighs and despite losing 40lbs and a year of lifting they're still far from looking slim.

Did you miss that she has been medically advised not to lose weight but in fact to get her BMI up to 20?

Nope. I can read just fine. But you're speaking like everyone with a certain measurement ought to feel that it's fine, when on certain size women it doesn't feel that way. But thanks for reading into what I said. Don't believe I told anyone to drop any fat. :smile:

no you didn't that's true, however your comment read to me as being about your self perception and in my opinion it had the potential to reinforce OP's personal body issues which go against objective medical advice
    have been advised at the hospital (for fertility purposes) to keep my bmi around 20 (was then 19.1) and not to get much leaner but I can't help feeling like my thighs are huge and way too wobbly, amongst other areas

• x_Vicky_x_86
    x_Vicky_x_86 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's replies, and that is how I feel I guess that despite whether the measurements seem small or not, on my body with quite short legs I don't feel they look slim/in proportion, and there is the struggle of wanting to wear skinny jeans but them being too tight on my thighs but fine for my waist, hard to get clothes to fit, I'd love to be one of these people who can wear jeggings with a short top rather than always opting for longer tops or dresses to try to cover my thighs, I do have days I feel brave enough to wear shorts but wouldn't go out in town/too busy place in them as I don't want to flaunt the wobbly bits, though I've noticed many who do who's are more wobbly/bumpy than mine! So perhaps I do worry too much but I would still like a little better shape or to at least get them feeling less fatty, I'd rather they were this size but muscly at least.
    I think I've gained a couple of pounds since my hospital visit in May, so I'm hoping my bmi is now where it should be, so it's just maintaining, it's hard to judge when then hospital scales weighed me lighter than my home scales do.
    I will look into the squatting, may research some videos online and if I start them up again will make sure I am doing them correctly.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    Options
    I'm a bit tied between whether I need to lose weight or to just do the right exercises to tone the fatty problem areas. I'm 5ft 2" and about 8.2 stone at the moment, have been advised at the hospital (for fertility purposes) to keep my bmi around 20 (was then 19.1) and not to get much leaner but I can't help feeling like my thighs are huge and way too wobbly, amongst other areas, so I don't know what to do, should I eat enough calories to maintain my weight or will I need to lose weight all over with cardio to shift the wobble of my thighs? Currently using the exercise bike most days to try to tackle them, tia

Depends what's more important at the moment, your thighs or your fertility?

Well very much my fertility, but sure there is a way to keep healthy in that way with the right amount of fat but with muscle tone too.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    Options
    [quote="
    I ]

We all get it that's the nature of being human

But

1) you can't fight genetics, we aren't all built the same

2) clothes sizing are whack (I have clothes from a UK size 4 to 14 in my wardrobe ..I'm an 8/10 on average)

3) different styles suit different people, just cos you want to wear a specific style or brand doesn't mean it will suit you

4) you are your own worst critic

5) the models in those photos don't look like that either

Also start with box squats ..bodyweight

https://bretcontreras.com/all-about-box-squats/[/quote]

You are right, I know, thank whilst still trying to be a little healthier I also need to work harder on stressing less about it and accepting this me. Thank you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You are at a light weight already, genetics factor in the size of our thighs etc - strength training will really help improve them, also in my case running/walking helped big time. I'm same height and my thighs are 19" which I'm happy with.
    You don't want to mess with the possibility of diminishing your fertility.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Wobbly thighs?
    Add deadlifts
    Lunges
    Glute bridges
    Bench press
    Push-ups, pull ups

Get Strong curves (book)

Eat at maintenance
    Eat adequate protein

This....all day long! While "toning" is a bit of a myth... if you want less wobble and tighter / leaner looking thighs then follow the advise above :)

• LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Toning is for printers.

Lift something heavy and eat for whatever goal you want.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You seriously need to listen to the advice regarding heavy lifting. @Sued0nim has given you some great suggestions. I am a pear shape as well, and heavy lifting has changed my body and mindset tremendously.

First, my thighs are firmer, less wiggly. Squats, lunges, etc. help with that. My booty has shaped up from the hip thrusts, which makes the whole lower body look better. And my shoulders have gotten a little wider and more toned, which makes me look more like an hour glass than a pear shape.

Not only that, but lifting progressively heavy weights makes you feel strong and powerful, and you can focus more on what your body can DO than how it looks. My goals now are being stronger and more fit, rather than trying to take another inch off my thighs.

Lastly, you need to stop worrying about skinny jeans. Everyone has different body types and you will be well served focusing on the styles that look great on you. Usually pear shaped women look great in a wrap dress than comes in at the waist, or bootcut jeans with a belt to show off the waist. I know many women that have skinny legs but have a hard time getting their waist to get smaller and are always jealous that my waist can stay pretty lean. On the other hand, I am jealous of their smaller thighs. Focus on your own positive attributes and highlight them. Stop worrying about skinny jeans.

Follow your doctor's advice. I know several women who didn't want to gain weight to have a baby and ended up having to do IVF after years of trying. I of course don't know if that is the only reason they had problems getting pregnant, but it is probably a factor. If fertility is important to you right now, keep a healthy bmi, eat at maintenance, and lift progressively heavier weights. You may start with box squats, then move to goblet squats, then over time move to barbell squats as you get stronger.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    Follow your doctor's advice. I know several women who didn't want to gain weight to have a baby and ended up having to do IVF after years of trying. I of course don't know if that is the only reason they had problems getting pregnant, but it is probably a factor. If fertility is important to you right now, keep a healthy bmi, eat at maintenance, and lift progressively heavier weights. You may start with box squats, then move to goblet squats, then over time move to barbell squats as you get stronger.

After 2 years of infertility and suspected PCOS, an endocrinologist told me gain 2lbs. I did and Bam! got pregnant right away. The Dr's usually know what they are talking about. :wink:

Also, while I still consider my thighs big, after lifting I feel they look pretty good and I have no problem wearing short shorts. Everyone has given you excellent advice.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    Options
    It is all great advice, more than I expected and I'm so appreciative. I wasn't necessarily told to gain weight but not to get any leaner (despite my fatty thighs, they must have missed them lol) but they said keep bmi above 20 and it was just under I think, think I'm just over now so all good, but unfortunately still got a bit of a waiting game on the fertility front to see whether the extra weight will have made any difference, fingers crossed my body starts behaving anyway but meanwhile I'm going to maintain and start lifting/squatting again, my butt needs it too I think, def noticed a difference since I stopped doing them a while back. Thank you so much everyone.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's replies, and that is how I feel I guess that despite whether the measurements seem small or not, on my body with quite short legs I don't feel they look slim/in proportion, and there is the struggle of wanting to wear skinny jeans but them being too tight on my thighs but fine for my waist, hard to get clothes to fit, I'd love to be one of these people who can wear jeggings with a short top rather than always opting for longer tops or dresses to try to cover my thighs, I do have days I feel brave enough to wear shorts but wouldn't go out in town/too busy place in them as I don't want to flaunt the wobbly bits, though I've noticed many who do who's are more wobbly/bumpy than mine! So perhaps I do worry too much but I would still like a little better shape or to at least get them feeling less fatty, I'd rather they were this size but muscly at least.

Hi Vicky. I'm 5ft1 and 8st12 with a 27ish waist and 21" thighs (38.5" hips) and I feel the same about my thighs! I do wear skinny jeans though! I find New Look Superskinny petite jeans fit perfectly! They have some stretch for the thighs and they fit higher on the waist. I wear longer tight tops with them so they don't actually look high waisted on. I'm naturally a curvy girl so I will go down as far as 8st7 but if I am not happy then I will just make the most of what I have got and concentrate on exercise. Feel free to friend me