i need help

Options
I've been trying to lose weight since January and I've lost 23 pounds, but it's kind of hard to lose weight when you have a person in the house that loves to fry foods and cook big meals and doesn't understand the concept of losing weight, can anybody help me out? I need to lose another 30 pounds in 6 months how do I do that?

Replies

• dperry619
    dperry619 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I'm also an assistant manager to fast food company and I work all weird kinds of shifts sometimes I don't get home until 1 o'clock in the morning and I'm hungry at that time so my downfall is I like to eat
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    okay so your partner likes fried foods...and cooks big meals....doesn't mean you have to eat it all.

to lose weight you need a calorie deficit...that means eating less than your body burns. That can be done eating McDonalds everyday...

I lost 50lbs in a house with 2 men....both love huge meals and sweet and I cooked it all for them. I ate with them and what they ate...just in smaller portions. When my husband wanted meat pie I made meat pie, when my son wanted poutine we had poutine...(french fries, gravy with cheese melted under the gravy)

Now the 30lbs in 6 months might not be doable but that's another topic.

On your add...then it's not the big meals or fried foods being cooked...it's you like to eat it.

That's fine eat it just not as much.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Moderate your portions or cook your own food.

I assume you are not being force fed.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals (ALL your meals) a week ahead of time and food prep. Make a recipe that serves 6, for example, and put each serving in individual containers so that you've got 6 meals prepared for the week. When you get home at 1 am it's there waiting for you. Bring your own snacks and meals to work with you. Preparation, along with personal responsibility and saying "no" sometimes, is key. Best of luck to you.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Just curious why you need to lose 30 pounds in six months?

Anyway I live with a guy who likes to eat too. So I basically cook for myself and he eats what he wants.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs in 6 and a half months. Doable.

I also love eating taco bell, cupcakes, cookies, chocolate milk and giant bowls of cereal and sweet tea is like crack to me. I just try to stay in my calories (I've been so bad lately but I'm fixing it!) So you should just probably step back, reevaluate what you're actually putting into your mouth and correct what I assume to be an over eating thing. Get a food scale. If I make dinner, no matter if its healthy, fried, sauteed, whatever, I weigh out my own portions and make myself a smaller plate than everyone else eats.

try using a smaller plate, I use the saucer/salad type plates that came with our set. They're about half the size of the normal dinner plates and I find this helps reduce my portion and still make me feel like I ate an entire dinner plate full of food.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    dperry619 wrote: »
    doesn't understand the concept of losing weight

So, I think this is where I would start. If he truly doesn't understand, then sit themm down and talk to them about it. Explain your goals, why they are important to you, and what your plan is to get there. Then tell them how they can help. If you can get them on board I do think it will make your life easier, so it is worth a try.

If that doesn't work then you are just going to have to figure out how to deal. Figure out what works for you. It may be smaller portions of the higher caloric food, or making your own meal so you can eat more of something "lighter". Figure out what and when to eat to stay within you calorie goal and you will get there just fine :)

• dperry619
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. The food scale is an excellent idea ! that will definitely help me stay on track. and no I'm not being force-fed. I would like to lose 30 pounds for my New Year's resolution because it's going to be one year, so I need to be at 200 pounds. As for the other half and me liking to eat food you are right, I can avoid the fried foods and I can moderate what I eat, but, sometimes that's hard to do when you're in a house full of gypsy ladies that love to cook
  • dperry619
    Options
    The food scale is working out great ! I bought one yesterday and i love it !