Am i running slowly?

Options
gillie80
gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone. i started c210k and am on week 7. i have worked out that i'm running at about 5mph just now. is that slow? i start the inerval section in a few weeks so i hope my speed will increase a bit then, but i'm curious just now to know what others think. are there any new to running members who can chip in?

i've never run before, and before i started i couldn't run the length of my 15 foot drive and have jsut hit the 15 minute running milestone

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    C25k is all about finishing the time interval regardless of pace. You are to run as slow as you need to finish the run interval even if you are running slower than you could walk that interval. Speed comes later.
    I haven't checked out the C210k program before but I imagine it would be based on the same principle particularly since you are just starting to run.
  • gillie80
    Options
    C25k is all about finishing the time interval regardless of pace. You are to run as slow as you need to finish the run interval even if you are running slower than you could walk that interval. Speed comes later.
    I haven't checked out the C210k program before but I imagine it would be based on the same principle particularly since you are just starting to run.

Thanks :) i know i'll get faster with time. a bit impatient i suppose.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "i have worked out that i'm running at about 5mph just now. is that slow?"

Not really. 5 mph is 12 minute miles. Keep that up and you've got a 1:12:00 10 K. Not too shabby. Continue at that pace and you have 2:36:00 Half Marathon. Again, not bad.

Run at a pace at which you can maintain a conversation and keep that going. Speed comes after endurance which comes after miles at a conversational pace. Slow is actually good.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    gillie80 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. i started c210k and am on week 7. i have worked out that i'm running at about 5mph just now. is that slow? i start the inerval section in a few weeks so i hope my speed will increase a bit then, but i'm curious just now to know what others think. are there any new to running members who can chip in?

i've never run before, and before i started i couldn't run the length of my 15 foot drive and have jsut hit the 15 minute running milestone

You've improved. That's all that really matters. While your speed may be slower than others', it would seem to be faster than where you were. Keep plugging on.

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    While I have run a single 8 minute mile on a good day, if I run for an hour, the farthest I've gotten is five miles, and yeah I consider myself a slow runner. It doesn't matter, improve your endurance and enjoy the running; then at some point warm up and time yourself over a one mile run, you may find you are faster.

Slower is better for building up your distance.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    that's what i do and i've been running for over a year. actually my comfy pace is closer to 4.7
  • gillie80
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    you are lapping everyone on the couch!

you make a good point there.
    TR0berts wrote: »
    [

You've improved. That's all that really matters. While your speed may be slower than others', it would seem to be faster than where you were. Keep plugging on.

another good point. i'll keep going as i am then and not worry. i'm quite competitive and don't like being slower than my brother and best mate who, in fairness, have been running a heck of a lot longer than me. onward and upward.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Honestly don't take this the wrong way, but who cares! As long as you are running at a pace you are comfortable with, then there is no fast or slow, just keep at it, and your pace will change. Great job, and keep it up!
  • gillie80
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Honestly don't take this the wrong way, but who cares! As long as you are running at a pace you are comfortable with, then there is no fast or slow, just keep at it, and your pace will change. Great job, and keep it up!

haha. well said, thanks.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Don't get caught up in comparing yourself to others, be proud of the fact that you can now run several miles continuously (something the majority of adults can't do) and are working towards 10km / 6.2 miles.

Like you, when I started out I could barely get around the block without feeling like I was going to die. Now (a slow) 10km is a relaxing mid-week training run. Be patient with yourself and be consistent in your training..... you'll be amazed with what you can accomplish.
  • gillie80
    Options
    Thanks Brian. I can be quite self-deprecating at times. You're right, I should be proud of what I've achieved so far, and I am. Looking forward to my next run tomorrow.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others! You are running, so be proud! There are days I run fast, there are days I run slow. There are days I do a walk/run combo. Point is, your moving. Great job! Keep it up! :smile:
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think it's right for a new runner. I ran my first 5k at that pace (36 minutes) and I was (and still am!) very happy with that. I've been running for a while and I've recently been trying to improve my time and it has improved a lot. I think it takes a bit of patience to get quicker!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As as been stated earlier speed comes with endurance just keep adding distance to your runs, I go thru this every year last few years have not run in the winter then come spring I get myself all bummed because my pace is not where it was 3 months ago so not that I have to start over I just need to start slower. Once you get to the point where you can go let say 8 or 10 miles you will really start to notice your pacing increase on the shorter runs 3-5 miles. As what was stated earlier something is better than nothing and you are pacing everyone sitting on the couch or in their computer chair.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That's totally fine. Run at a speed where you can maintain it. If I'm running 1 mile, it's going to be a lot faster than if I'm running 5 miles, so don't compare yourself to people who say they run a 6 minute mile. That's 1 mile, and you're working toward 6!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The best piece of advice I was given when I started running was to run slowly - so slowly that it's not even that much faster than walking pace. You see hundreds of posts on here by people saying how much they are struggling with C25k etc and how hard the run sections are and it's likely that in most cases they're trying to sprint the run intervals (at whatever pace is sprinting effort for them) because they're thinking 'running: that means fast'. If you're going slowly you're doing it right! You'll be building the aerobic fitness you'll need for when you're a superfast racing whippet.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    You are going faster than I ever will, unless i'm being chased by a bear.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    The best piece of advice I was given when I started running was to run slowly - so slowly that it's not even that much faster than walking pace. You see hundreds of posts on here by people saying how much they are struggling with C25k etc and how hard the run sections are and it's likely that in most cases they're trying to sprint the run intervals (at whatever pace is sprinting effort for them) because they're thinking 'running: that means fast'. If you're going slowly you're doing it right! You'll be building the aerobic fitness you'll need for when you're a superfast racing whippet.

I could not agree more. I've seen so many new runners either get injured or burned out from trying to run too fast, too far, too soon. It's a journey. Your runs should be at a pace where you can carry on a conversation with a partner. If you can't - you're running too fast. A base of fitness takes time. Be patient and take satisfaction that every time you lace up your shoes for a run, you're doing more than 90% of your friends and neighbors. Enjoy and embrace the run! Happy running!