1/2 Marathon Training to Help Lose Weight

Options
Today starts day one of training for my first 1/2 marathon. I would say it's also day one of my fitness journey, but technically it's not. I've tried a few times within the past five years but life happens and I never seemed to stick with it. Each time I try something new, so I don't get bored. While I enjoy the activities, I never put my health first. It wasn't until my last doctor's appointment I realized it's now or never. I refuse to be put on medication of any kind if I can change the results myself,( I will not be a victim of what my genetics say I'm predisposed to). So starting here right now today, I will work toward making better, healthier decisions for my life. It's not a diet... it's a lifestyle change. I'm not doing this for anyone but myself and my future, but I welcome anyone who wants to join me. We can offer each other words of encouragement and advice.

BBB

5'6"
SW 205
CW 198
GW 160

Replies

• lola_1977
    lola_1977 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh!!! I signed up for my first 1/2 Dec 3!!! Can we say nervous! I must start my training!
  • KittyVida
    KittyVida Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You've inspired me. I need to find a marathon of some sort locally.
  • 502Monica
    502Monica Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon in October 22nd! We got this!
  • moma3_00
    moma3_00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It was never on my "bucket list" to run marathons, but now I've done 3 half marathons, two full marathons and the Disney "Dopey" Challenge (5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon in 4 consecutive days). The one thing I'll warn you about - but do not let this discourage you - running made me gain weight instead of lose weight because it wrecked my eating habits. I was ALWAYS hungry when training. Still, running made me physically and mentally stronger, so the benefits are worth it...but just be aware of how hungry you'll get!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i didn't lose any weight when i trained for a half marathon... got too rungry to maintain a deficit!

good luck!
  • BeautifulBraveBlessed
    Options
    Wow thanks you guys! I will definitely take note of that hunger and maybe plan healthier snacks between meals to combat that. My race is November 13th! I'm so excited to see others on MFP participating as well!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i lost weight when i was training for my half. just be aware of what you are eating and try to eat nutritiously. i find that helped my runger
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I lost weight during 2 1/2 months of HM training in Jan to March, but training in a deficit is a bit hard. I had to actually calorie cycle to get my training to work for me while trying to lean down. I only had a few to loose though which explains some of the difficulty.

It might take some trial and error to get the nutritional aspect for training and loosing weight to an art, but you can do it. Such as training fasted, etc. Hunger usually tapers down as you get more adapted to training.. Just some thing to watch out for.

I hope you come back and post your race day stats!!! Stay focused, listen to your body and best of luck!! :):)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about running a 5k or a 10k?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP:

Weight loss is through calories deficit. Running will help create that deficit but, as was stated above, you can still over eat and gain weight while running ;-)

Congratulations on your decision. Lace them up and get moving. Consider a program Couch to whatever is popular here. Amazon has Personal Running Trainer x weeks to y distance. I found those helpful.

Also consider a lifting/strength program. Getting stronger will help prevent possible injury when running.

If this is your first Half Marathon remember: You Are About to Record a Person Best at that distance.

Most of all, enjoy yourself.

My first Half Marathon is September 25. Come join the Half Marathon Training Group. Several of us there.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I did a couple 1/2 marathons a few years ago. Loved them. But as others have said, running will not burn away all the extra food. And I 2nd the idea of strength training. Also consider biking, swimming or yoga as an active rest day or cross training days. Do what works for YOU! Just because I can eat a bowl of oatmeal and 4 cups of coffee before running, doesn't mean that will work for you. Experiment with things like clothing, socks, workout time, distances, intervals, cross training and stretching. Get yourself a foam roller and use it.. and if your feet are hurting after a long run, do an ice bath - pure pain but also relief.

Enjoy yourself! It's an awesome run. Good luck! We want to hear about your progress.