Women in the navy

Options
Can anyone tell me about Meps and basic?

Replies

• stephaniecheree
    stephaniecheree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hit my 10 year mark on the 22nd of this month. What kind of questions do you have??
  • luv2shimmy
    luv2shimmy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to go enlisted side or officer side?
  • emilylawrence737
    emilylawrence737 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Enlisted. @t_tullius

@stephaniecheree do you remember how physically hard basic was? I'm in over all good shape still struggling with push ups though
  • stephaniecheree
    stephaniecheree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @emilylawrence737
    I wasn't in the best shape when I went (I've always struggled with my weight--but I met the height and weight standards). I struggled with push ups and still do. But I never gave up or 'fell out' and I realized that was key. I struggled with sit-ups when I first went in also, but at night a group of us would get together with our flashlights and quietly workout and improve on whatever we needed to. I got better with my sit-ups and with a little extra practice on my down time, they were no problem.

You can be the slowest runner in ranks or struggling so bad with push-ups or sit-ups but never stop or say "I can't do anymore". As long as you meet the timed requirements during the fitness tests you'll be good (and if I could pass them, you'll be able to pass them I'm sure).
  • luv2shimmy
    luv2shimmy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ah okay. Unfortunately, I've not been to basic in over 20 years, and I'm certain it's changed since then. I would recommend being able to do the minimum amount of pushups and situps that you're required to do to pass your pt test before you go - aside from that, they'll make sure you can do more than that before you leave. The only reason I recommend you can at least do the minimum is that you don't want to stick out at all - the whole point is to fly under the radar as much as you possibly can. There was one girl in our company who came to basic not able to do even a single push up. We all worked with her every night before lights out to help her with her pushups and by the time we graduated, she was able to do a respectable number. But the RDC's were just relentless with her throughout the entire time we were there.

Good luck!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    As a side note joining the Navy in 1973 and spending four years was the best career move of my life because it motivated me to get an education after I got out. Best of success.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Bootcamp, for me, was far more of a mental challenge than a physical one. Running a mile and a half in 15 minutes? Not exactly impossible, right? I definitely got in shape there... went in hardly able to do 10 pushups and ended up competing for our group against guys and girls alike, doing over 70... There were people who couldn't pass the pt test when they first went in, but they didn't get ridiculed, it isn't the Marines. :tongue: They did get pushed to run a little faster, to not give up, to get their *kitten* to the finish line.
    And for the love of all things good, do not sneak food in.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Joined in 1989, best decision I ever made. I think others have said it but the key is to never give up no matter what. They will push you until you fail, that's part of the process. But if you stay in it mentally you will make it.

I do recommend that you be able to pass the PFT, whatever the test is nowadays. There will be people that can't and if you can that will help keep you from getting on any DI's radar.