Need help

Options
If i eat and go over my limit but my exercise brings me back under my calorie limit am I doing good still or is it bad to be over and running or walking to bring them back down?

Replies

• skyhowl
    skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Calories burned in a running or walking session is not accurate here on MFP. and even if you buy a heart rate monitor it is not 100% accurate.
    Most people here only eat 50% of their exercise calories

so say you go over your limit by 200 calories. you need to walk or run enough to burn almost 500 according to MFP calculator.
  • Bruja924
    Bruja924 Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Could you help me figure out my Macros? I'm at a total loss!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day every morning. Most days i start off in the red, but exercise puts me back in the green.
    Just make sure your exercise burns are accurate. I have a fitbit and even that over estimates, so i never eat back 100% of my exercise calories.
  • bigb465
    bigb465 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok guys so the best bet is to always stay under my limit and still exercise bc sometimes I'm under my limit by alot if I do that?
  • JimBad05
    JimBad05 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am learning this the hard way. Honestly it's best to just not eat back your exercise calories or at least not very much of them.

Ex: A gym machine SAYS you burned 400 calories but you really only burned 300. Well if you go and eat an extra 350 calories you're worse off than when you started.

It would be best to either eat 0 extra calories or maybe a small number like 100-150

Bicycling I think is especially bad for being over estimated. You can spend most of your time sitting and coasting down a hill but you're still getting credit for burning 10 calories/minute??
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    JimBad05 wrote: »
    I am learning this the hard way. Honestly it's best to just not eat back your exercise calories or at least not very much of them.

Ex: A gym machine SAYS you burned 400 calories but you really only burned 300. Well if you go and eat an extra 350 calories you're worse off than when you started.

It would be best to either eat 0 extra calories or maybe a small number like 100-150

Bicycling I think is especially bad for being over estimated. You can spend most of your time sitting and coasting down a hill but you're still getting credit for burning 10 calories/minute??

This is why it's best to eat back 50% of your exercise calories to start with. If you're losing at the expected pace and rate then stick with eating back half. If you're losing faster than you'd like, eat back more. If you stall or lose slower then eat back less.

It's all just trial and error.

• bigb465
    bigb465 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you guys :) so much
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food so I don't eat back my walking exercise calories so that covers any overages I may have.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    So, when you figured out your calories on MFP, its already telling you how much to eat to lose, not counting any burned from exercise. So, you can eat back some of those calories, especially if you notice your losing energy. It also depends on how vigorously you are exercising. I was doing a bootcamp class 45 min/day 5 days a week. I HAD to eat back some of those calories burned, or I was worthless. Just be smart about it.