Yesterday...

Options
Yesterday...I gave up. I was sick of the counting, the walking, the riding, the lifting. It was unfair that everyone else can eat whatever they want and not worry about being big and then there is me. I went to the store and bought lots of junk food and sat in my car and ate in secret. I quit.

Then I went home to my wife and kids, and the guilt damned near consumed me. Sure, it may not be fair to me that I have the metabolism of a cadaver or at 38 years old, still do not have the capacity to know when I am biologically "full" or satisfied. But more than anything, it's not fair to them. They didn't ask for it, help it along or cause it. Hell, my wife is always supportive. When I was at my lowest weight and even when I have been at my highest.

So today, I un-quit. It will be slow, it will painful at times...but so is being morbidly obese.

Replies

• GirlAnachronismE
    GirlAnachronismE Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Don't focus on the things you have done wrong in the past, put it behind you and focus on what you can do better in the future. Just don't beat yourself up. One small step at a time, right?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It is SO HARD to stay motivated...hang in there, keep up the good work, look for something to motivate you today...maybe just the next 5 lbs??? Maybe being able to increase a weight lifted??? Maybe being able to walk a longer distance???
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It is very rough sometimes. But you are stronger than yesterday. You had a melt down and we all do from time to time. Today is a new day. So lift your chin, put a smile on, and get back to eating right and exercising.

I have hypothyroidism and it takes tons of work. I read how it is calories in and calories out. Which I agree with, but it isn't that simple for me. I read about how you can eat anything as long as you stick within your calorie limits. Once again not that simple for me. I have to watch refined carbs( breads pasta etc), and I have to watch my salt intake. Make sure my thyroid meds are at the right dose. I have to work twice as hard. But I am doing it, I am losing. And so CAN you.
    I share my story so you know you aren't alone. I was 1.9 pts away from being severely obese when I started. I am now in the normal range. It didn't happen over night. I am 9 months in.

You will have bad days. That's when you have to find someone you can confide in. Maybe even journal why you are feeling this way, what happened today that made you quit, things like that. Just a suggestion when you are feeling like secretly eating can you go for a walk with the kids or wife instead? It concerns me how you say you eat secretly. Do you have a dr you can talk to? If eating in secret doesn't happen often, can you leave enough calories at the end of your day so you can have a cookie or treat? If you deprive you will eat more junk when given the chance. If you are afraid of falling into the bad habits can you save your treat for the weekend? It's easy going a week without sweets. It will also give you something to look forward to until you become use to the new habits you are trying to create.

Above all , we are here to listen and to cheer you on. Remember quitters never reach their goal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You got this. Just keep at it.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I have hypothyroidism and it takes tons of work. I read how it is calories in and calories out. Which I agree with, but it isn't that simple for me. I read about how you can eat anything as long as you stick within your calorie limits. Once again not that simple for me. I have to watch refined carbs( breads pasta etc), and I have to watch my salt intake. Make sure my thyroid meds are at the right dose. I have to work twice as hard. But I am doing it, I am losing. And so CAN you.

This is similar to me. I have lupus and even though i do CICO and exercise like mad some weeks i don't lose at all. its maddening, but i keep going.

OP you had a bad day. you seem to have put it behind you. we are all in this together. we CAN do this. we ARE doing this. we WILL KEEP doing this.
  • cleliajestrada
    cleliajestrada Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yesterday...I gave up. I was sick of the counting, the walking, the riding, the lifting. It was unfair that everyone else can eat whatever they want and not worry about being big and then there is me. I went to the store and bought lots of junk food and sat in my car and ate in secret. I quit.

Then I went home to my wife and kids, and the guilt damned near consumed me. Sure, it may not be fair to me that I have the metabolism of a cadaver or at 38 years old, still do not have the capacity to know when I am biologically "full" or satisfied. But more than anything, it's not fair to them. They didn't ask for it, help it along or cause it. Hell, my wife is always supportive. When I was at my lowest weight and even when I have been at my highest.

So today, I un-quit. It will be slow, it will painful at times...but so is being morbidly obese.

Aww. So try drinking tons of water as u eat. U will get stuffed very fast. And go for walk. I lose weight w walking. Lots of it. And don't quit. U can do this. Keep the end results in mind and go for it!
  • Nads36
    Nads36 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel mate...I felt like that on Monday and am feeling the same today. I just said to my husband I could easily go and grab a Whopper meal and a huge chocolate cake. I won't as I know how much this means to me. Although I have only lost 8lbs I cam feel the benefits already...less bloated and my legs don't ache aches much! You can do this...well done so far. Keep it up!
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

"Today, I un-quit."

I've been in a maintenance rut, and a huge part of it is feeling unmotivated to do what I know is right for me (and for the people who care about me) in the long run, which is to live a healthier life. I've tested with a lower-than-normal BMR, too, so I get how frustrating that can feel.

But you inspired me today, tonygermano2. Keep posting!
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Anyone on a fitness journey has had their days where they have wanted to, or did, quit. The ones that make the decision to get back on track right away are the ones leading richer, fuller, healthier lives because of that choice. It's cliche but this statement is one of sheer truth: If it were easy, everyone would do it.
    Some days are going to be easy to stay committed to the process. Some are going to be hard. MFP provides you a whole universe where you can reach out to others for that support or that kick in the butt when you need it. You've got this. Stay focused on your goals. Remember who and what you're doing it for. Everyday is an opportunity to get closer to the goals you've set for yourself. As long as you stick to your plan, you're going to wake up one day and not even remember the guy who posted this thread. You've got this!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Focus on coming up with snacks, meals, and strategies that you can live with for the rest of your life. It will get easier.

I know there are people out there who eat "whatever they want" and don't gain, but they are rare and they naturally eat less (even though it might not appear that way to others). The rest of us are all in the same boat. Every day is a struggle to make good choices.

Just find what you enjoy that works for you and take it one day at a time. Forgive your mistakes and move on. We all make them.