Where does the loss occur?

Options
I've been on Keto for about 3 weeks now. I'm under 1500 calories per day, under 50 carbs and drinking lots of water. So far I've lost 11 and 1/2 pounds, which I'm proud of. My question is what part of my body lost them? I don't see any physical change in my waist size, belly size or anything. So what parts of the body lose weight first? (I'm a 35 year old guy if that matters)

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you that because everyone is different. Typically fat loss comes from all over with some areas being favored over others.

Start using measuring using a measuring tape. You will be able to answer your own question then.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You've lost the weight from practically everywhere.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    For a lot of people, visceral fat is the first to go. Its the fat around your organs (vs subcutaneous fat under your skin) and also the fat more commonly associated with diseases. Can't be sure if this is the case with you, as @vespiquenn said, everyone is different and depends on your starting point. Also, the first few weeks of loss on low-carb/keto is plenty of water weight.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The place you gain it in first is the last to let go of it. For me it is my beer gut but as I got closer to my goal weight my clothes got so loose I had to go shopping and people could look at my face, lick when talking vehicle to vehicle, and say you have lost weight. I lost over fifty but have gained ten pounds back.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Alo I've heard losing weight is like unraveling a paper towel roll, gradually all over.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    No one can tell you that because everyone is different. Typically fat loss comes from all over with some areas being favored over others.

Start using measuring using a measuring tape. You will be able to answer your own question then.

This, though a good chunk is water weight from cutting calories and going keto.

That being said, you should be hitting 1500 calories a day minimum.
  • bassklan
    bassklan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been on for about 3 weeks also. Haven't lost any wait, but I can feel it in my clothes.. I was told by a friend who just lost 450 lbs that he lost inches first and then the weight.. try measuring first..
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Initially, I would say the biggest portion of these losses are water weight....and waste. :) Pleasant, right?
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I lose all over gradually but I noticed it first in my face (partially because I'm not running around nakes all day and so I see my face more often than anything else), then legs then stomach.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Well part of that, especially if you went low carb and are drinking lots of water is going to be your body flushing out retained water.

Beyond that, I notice weight loss first in place that as a rule store the least amount of fat. For me I notice losses first in my hands, feet, shoulders and legs first. My torso is the last place it showed for me.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Start taking progress pics and measurements. It's the only way to know for sure where it's coming off. You look at yourself every day, so it'll probably be a while before you notice it if you don't!