No internet access on a vacation

Options
I will be taking an extended vacation during which time I will have no internet access. My meals will include foods that will not be in my regular diet. Being without an Internet connection, how can I still have access to the nutrition database? Is it something I can pre-download?

Replies

• LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of, although it would be great. We frequently vacation with no cell/Internet service. I just make sure to be extra mindful with my eating and extra active. I usually lose or at least maintain.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you've built up foods in your database already they are available without Internet.

You can also quick add calories by guessing, it will do temporarily.

You can pre log your foods ahead of time too if you have an idea of what you might be eating.

Personally I never logged on holidays, just kept an eye on portion sizes and made healthier choices.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    No internet? How is that a vacation? ;)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    As stated above keep an eye on portion size and try to make healthier choices. I have kept a paper journal on vacation when I didn't have internet and logged it in later. I was not too far off but the alcohol is usually what put me over calories. Watch out for the drinks.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Well, in the olden days when dinosaurs ruled the earth, I used what the old folk still call a BOOK. You can buy them at specialty stores and they have special ones that give calorie counts for a lot of food. (snicker!!)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I love taking vacations from the internet.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Part of a vacation is enjoying the local food. Rather than eating at big chains that are in the database I like to eat at local places so my logging would never be accurate anyway. I don't bother logging during vacation and instead just try and make some good choices mixed in with my more fun choices and focus on enjoying my vacation. I also try and do active things - lots of walking, kayaking, zip lining, whatever it is that is local and will get me moving and active to counterbalance some of the extra calories.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Well, in the olden days when dinosaurs ruled the earth, I used what the old folk still call a BOOK. You can buy them at specialty stores and they have special ones that give calorie counts for a lot of food. (snicker!!)

lol. too funny. My husband and I remember the first time we logged on the the "World Wide Web". I would say its vacation, just have fun, be mindful and enjoy yourself. You can continue logging when you get back. Have fun! :smile:
  • cee134
    Options
    Simple Tricks to Estimate Serving Size:
    • One serving of cooked meat (about 3 ounces) is equivalent to a new bar of soap/ deck of cards.
    • use a hockey puck to estimate the size of a ground hamburger patty.
    • A serving of cooked pasta (about 1/2 cup) should match the size of your fist.
    • One serving of grains equals a piece of bread, a waffle, or a pancake. While a standard CD case is an appropriate size for the bread, the CD itself is a good guideline for the waffles and pancakes.
    • One teaspoon approximates a single serving of fats and oils. No measuring spoons around? Use the tip of your thumb as a guide.
    • One serving of dairy is about four small pieces of cheese. When you're slicing up cubes, keep in mind the size and shape of four die.
    • Whether you're munching on an apple, plum, or peach, in general, a tennis ball equates to one serving size of whole fruit.
    • A single serving of veggies (1 cup), such as broccoli or carrots, should be proportional to a baseball.
    • Indulge in a ping pong ball-sized serving of peanut butter (about two tablespoons)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually am more active on vacations and stay on track by paying attention to portion size, stopping eating when I'm not hungry anymore, taking leftovers back for future meals, and not drinking too heavily.
  • cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Tl;dr: Estimate portions, write things down to keep track of what's eaten if needed.

"No internet access on vacation" == "Bliss" Just got back from one of those. :) I just practiced mindful eating, while also pigging out a little here and there. First couple of days I wrote down everything I ate with an estimate of portion size to keep track, then said screw it. Came back 5-lbs heavier, but 3 days later, it's almost all gone so it was mostly water weight.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    How long have you been logging? After a while you should have a pretty good idea of what "too much" is. Don't eat too much.

How long will you be on your "extended" vacation. A week or two are easy to get back from. If longer than that, see the above.

If you are new to this, and/or will be gone for a kinda long time, getting a nutritional book as suggested above sounds like a good idea.

I am curious, where in the world are you going for an extended period of time with no internet access?