Finding the right balance

Options
tugomer
tugomer Posts: 3 Member
I tried MFP once before and I think I went too extreme with my deficit the first time around - I kept my calories under 1200 (because I was constantly afraid I was severely underestimating how much I ate) for a while until I just couldn't stand it anymore and went back to overeating. Now I want to start more slowly, with a more modest deficit. Problem is, I'm not used to dieting where I only eat slightly less than I should as opposed to straight-up fasting, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. How do you find the right balance between finding a bearable deficit and still feeling like you're making progress?

Replies

• rosbd
    rosbd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In the past I have tried to cut my calories too low but after losing 3.5 stone doing slimming world I have come over to calorie counting after maintaining for a few weeks. Turns out I was eating roughly 1800 calories when doing SW so I am now sticking to 1400 calories + eating 1/2 of my exercise calories so averaging 1550 calories a day and hey presto lost 2lbs last week and 1 1/2 lbs this week.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    1% of your total body weight per week is a good weight loss goal. Choose the amount in pounds that is closest to that. Weigh and log everything you eat, so you know you're eating the right amount of calories. But I suppose you feel you might struggle with the mental bit - how to accept the "slow" weight loss? You'll have to work with your attitude as well as your habits - make this your new normal. Whatever path you choose, you'll be doing it for the rest of your life, just with a slightly larger calorie allowance after you've hit goal weight. So make a plan that you can see yourself WANT to follow, not just be ABLE to follow, when everything's smooth sailing.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    #1. GET A FOOD SCALE!!! When you are eating at a deficit, it's super important that you are getting EVERY. SINGLE. CALORIE that you have earned. Even more so if you are sticking to a 1200 net calorie count. While many are shocked at how far off their guestimates are...I was pleasantly surprised as I found I was drastically overestimating protein! So YES: I will have that larger steak! ;)
    #2. Many find more success at a less severe deficit. While I shot for 1200 calories initially , often times my calorie counts fell 1400-1600. I would say choose a realistic calorie goal for you, eat back half your exercise calories, and stick to it for a few weeks. Only you will know the right count for you!! And good luck! There's tons of support here!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way: if you can lose weight more slowly and keep it off vs. restricting too severely, seeing fast weight loss but eventually giving up and gaining it back, which way wins? Not only did you subject yourself to weeks or months of crazy, restrictive eating you've also started an unhealthy relationship with food and lost some of your lean muscle mass in the process, slowing your metabolism. Do that often enough and you'll find yourself 50 years old and really struggling to keep off weight. Ask around, there are lots of people here in that situation. You have to simply keep reminding yourself that you're doing this for the long haul and making a lifestyle change.

One thing I often suggest to people starting out is to try simply eating what the maintenance calories would be for the weight you want to be. How does it feel? Can you live with that for the rest of your life? You could simply do that until you reach your goal weight if you wanted. It would certainly take longer but it would be a lot less painful and you'd eventually get there and not have to make a transition. If you'd rather lose more quickly, keep your loss rate more moderate and start weight lifting. Measure yourself monthly and track it in addition to tracking your weight. The number on the scale isn't always the best measure of progress and most of us are really interested in being a specific size, or more firm, more than seeing the "right" number.