will this pill make me gain weight?

Hey everyone,
I Was prescribed norgestrel-ethinyl estradiol 0.3-30 MG-MCG per tablet due to irregular periods every 14-16 days. Has anyone ever taken this? Does it make you gain weight?

Replies

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    I agree. The pill can stimulate appetite. It happens each time I start the active pills again. Unfortunately, I give into the cravings. The good thing is it's usually for one day. So, I'm back to eating normal the next. When it first happened, I panicked. Now, I realize that after that one day of indulgence, It's not a struggle for me to get back to normal eating. I think I would really worry if it lasted more than a day and would panic if the cravings lasted a week or so. Hasn't happened yet. However, I'm only 4 months into maintaining my weight loss. Strangely enough, while I was losing, I didn't have those cravings. Go figure! :)
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Unless the pill is filled with a substance containing calories at the density of a neutron star, no it will not directly cause weight gain.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    edited August 2016
    You will not know until you take it. My advice is to take it and see.

Many medications have weight gain listed as a side effect *eyeroll*

[edited by MFP mod]
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited August 2016

Those medications typically result in weight gain because they stimulate the appetite. They don't make weight gain appear out of nowhere. If that were possible, we could solve world hunger.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    There are actually medications that cause weight gain due to water retention. I have a relative who's put on quite a bit of weight since she started taking prednisone for Crohn's disease. She's all puffy, poor thing, and she's not the only person I've seen that happen to on a corticosteroid like prednisone. Some pills containing estrogen have been known to do the same thing, but not to the severity of corticosteroids.
  • leejoyce31
    SueInAz wrote: »
    There are actually medications that cause weight gain due to water retention. I have a relative who's put on quite a bit of weight since she started taking prednisone for Crohn's disease. She's all puffy, poor thing, and she's not the only person I've seen that happen to on a corticosteroid like prednisone. Some pills containing estrogen have been known to do the same thing, but not to the severity of corticosteroids.

Yes, prednisone causes a huge spike in appetite as well as causes water retention. I agree about estrogen as well. Causes water retention and spike in appetite. Both of which cause weight gain.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    You retain water on Prednisone but you become ravenously hungry and can easily overeat by thousands of calories each day
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016

Oh please. Medications themselves don't directly cause weight gain unless they have so many calories and put you well over maintenance. They stimulate the appetite, or cause temporary fluid retention. I am on several 'weight gain' medications...I've lost 80lbs because I chose to control my appetite (which was hard, I admit), instead of falling into the blaming trap like I used to do. Insulting others who obviously have had experience with this is incredibly rude.
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    edited August 2016
    I started the same medication earlier this year and put on about 30 lbs quick as hell. It made me bloat up and retain water significantly (I developed pitting edema in my ankles, yikes) and also increased my appetite significantly. I was ravenously hungry all the time. Made me moody and depressed so I started binge eating more.

I get it. A pill won't force feed you calories but it can cause side effects that result in weight gain. The water weight I put on was directly related to the pill and the increased appetite was also directly related to the pill.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Estrogen, or at least estrogen blockers, also make it easier to gain weight and harder to lose. I have seen a dramatic difference in how hard I have to work to lose, and in how easily I gain, since going on them. Per my doc, the pill itself won't make you gain weight, but it will make it easier to gain if you are not careful with your diet, and harder to lose when you arent.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Hey everyone,
    I Was prescribed norgestrel-ethinyl estradiol 0.3-30 MG-MCG per tablet due to irregular periods every 14-16 days. Has anyone ever taken this? Does it make you gain weight?

To regulate my periods I take Prometrium, a bioidentical progesterone. It doesn't make me gain weight. Helps me sleep.

https://www.drugs.com/cdi/norgestrel-ethinyl-estradiol.html

...Possible side effects of norgestrel/ ethinyl estradiol:

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:

Acne; breast tenderness or enlargement; changes in appetite; changes in weight; dizziness; headache; mild hair loss; nausea; nervousness; stomach cramps or bloating; vaginal spotting or breakthrough bleeding.
  • leejoyce31

[edited by MFP mod]

This is so cool. I'm not that experienced with MFP, but it looks like they modified her rude comments. That is so good.