Lifting result

Options
Monna2
Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
Hello
I recently started doing dumbells exercises only with my arm. The dumbell weighs 2.5 kg.I spend around 10 min. every day.
When should I expect results and seee my arms tighten?
I need to lose 100 pounds and I am dieting and walking three times a week.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you stick to a calorie deficit, you will see fat loss all over your body.

As for the dumbbells, you may not see too much change from that weight. It will get to be too easy at one point and then you will have to progress in weight, which is how you'd get stronger. If you keep using the same weight, you may just build endurance but that won't do much to change the shape.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry, but that's really not going to do a whole lot. To the tune of 'nothing' if I'm being blunt.

Diet will definitely help you lose excess bodyfat.

However, if you want to work on your muscles, you will best be served by following a program (like new rules of lifting) and lifting heavy weights.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    realistically i dont think you will *see* results for a very long time. But you will *feel* results after a few months, IF you progressively increase your weight and make it challenging. but Its kinda odd to just be doing arm exercises, you are gonna be better off doing whole body workouts , dieting and walking. Its a long slow process, as long as you have extra weight , visual results will be very hard or impossible to see.
  • Monna2
    Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys.
    I don't intend to continue lifting for ever. I just don't want to end up with loose skin around my arms. So, I only need a little toning or at least no loose skin. And I thought as long as I am exercising my leg muscles through walking, I should use my arm muscles too.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Monna2 wrote: »
    Thank you guys.
    I don't intend to continue lifting for ever. I just don't want to end up with loose skin around my arms. So, I only need a little toning or at least no loose skin. And I thought as long as I am exercising my leg muscles through walking, I should use my arm muscles too.

I'd recommend continuing some form of resistance training. Otherwise, you could very well not keep your muscle "tone."
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys.

I'm sorry sweety, but that's just not how it works. You will need to continue lifting, and you will need to increase the weight and for more then 10 minutes at a time. The entire time you are trying to lose, and then to maintain. You are off to a great start! Keep at it and you will get there. Also, I strongly suggest you do leg workouts as well. Working those big muscle groups will help you burn fat and have a nice shape to your legs.

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    JAllen32 wrote: »
    Thank you guys.

I'm sorry sweety, but that's just not how it works. You will need to continue lifting, and you will need to increase the weight and for more then 10 minutes at a time. The entire time you are trying to lose, and then to maintain. You are off to a great start! Keep at it and you will get there. Also, I strongly suggest you do leg workouts as well. Working those big muscle groups will help you burn fat and have a nice shape to your legs.

End even then, results may not show up for weeks. But you have to stick with it.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Skin elasticity isn't affected by weight lifting. It's primarily a result of age and genetics. I mean, sure, if you have hyooge muscles, there will be less appearance of saggy skin, but the concept of toning is a bit of a red herring.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Something for you to read: The myth of "toning" - http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-myth-of-toning.html
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I would try to keep up some kind of resistance training. Otherwise your body might start eating at the muscles to cover any calorie deficit. If you want to fill them out to try and reduce the look of flabby arms, then you'll have to keep them challenged. Increase the amount of weight tension whenever you can do full sets without failure.