SENIOR CITIZENS, WHERE ARE U?

Options
I NEED TO HEAR FROM MORE PEOPLE MY AGE. I FEEL LIKE I AM THE ONLY ONE MY AGE STILL FIGHTING THE WEIGHT. MAYBE THEY HAVE ALL GIVEN UP OR SETTLED IN. IS IT TOO LATE FOR ME?

Replies

• lorelai63
    lorelai63 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I NEED TO HEAR FROM MORE PEOPLE MY AGE. I FEEL LIKE I AM THE ONLY ONE MY AGE STILL FIGHTING THE WEIGHT. MAYBE THEY HAVE ALL GIVEN UP OR SETTLED IN. IS IT TOO LATE FOR ME?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I am not a senior citizen, but I do know that it is not too late for you. Keep positive thoughts and you will do it. :flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Oh heck no its not!!! I'm actually not a Senior but I will be one day but for now my mom is one so I'll speak on her behalf! ha ha

she just turned 70 and I wanted to tell you she battled w/ weight her entire life....she had four of us...which began with me all C sections and poor thing gained a ton of weight, never did for herself or took time to watch what she ate or exercise.....

she started watching her weight when she hit her early sixties....and little by little walking, looking at the nutritional info, reading up on the health benefits always, smaller portions....the woman is now sooo heathy and slim! She is smaller than myself and my sister and we always tease her and call her the incredibly shrinking woman...so NO WAY you keep up the great job and you'll enjoy all the benefits!

I wish you the best!
    hugs!
    Ali
  • alaskagal
    Options
    Okay, I don't technically qualify as a senior but my mom is your age. She is a great source of inspiration and motivation for me. She had a brain tumor removed 4 years ago. Good news is she's fine now. The bad news is the surgery resulted in facial paralysis. The fantastic news is that she is now going to the gym 3 times a week and watching what she eats. She's probably in better shape now than she has been for years.

The only time it's too late to try is when you're 6 feet under :wink: You're nowhere near there; so keep up the good work.

:drinker:
  • owensme
    Options
    Here's a Senior Citizen! I've been doing this about a month and have lost 8 pounds without starving myself, and I spend most of my time sitting in front of a computer. More exercise would certainly help, but I know we can do this! We may not do it as quickly as the younger set for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean we can't do it! You just keep the faith!:happy:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am 54 which is not all that far from your age.
    I am the youngest in my TOPS chapter. There are ladies in my chapter that are in their 70’s and 80’s and losing weight and keeping it off.
    It is never too late. So never give up.
    :flowerforyou:
  • lorelai63
    Options
    Thanks evreyone! This is an eye opener. I knew you were out there! Have a wonderfully healthy day!
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :love: I am just able to qualify, I retired last year and decided that I had to get fitter, not fatter. So having found this site I have at last managed to lose a lot of my extra weight since last November. 24lbs lost and 15lbs to go. Its a wonderful site to keep focussed. Good luck with it.
  • lorelai63
    Options
    Awesome job. Anything you can tell me that works well. How about some dessert tricks? I love dessert. Been eating fatfree/sugrafree puddings. But I need a change. How much exercise do you get and is it tolerable? Fill me in Nanascot!
  • twink3110
    Options
    I'm 54 in April.............pretty darn close to that senior citizen age. The older you get the more important it is to take care of yourself cause you don't bounce back as easy from health issues. I figure I need to get ready and in shape so that when i retire I can have alot of fun. Take care Lorelai and Angel food cake isn't too high in calories, top it with a little cool whip and some strawberries.
  • healthychic
    Options
    It is most definatly not too late for you!! :smile: My G-ma,(thats what i call her, short for Grandma), is 74, about to be 75 in March, and she is really healthy, and always watching her weight. She still is a little overweight, but I know her tricks are eating a ton of veggies and fruit, and drinking a gallon of water a day. She's so cute, you should see all her little healthy granola bars she keeps in her purse and cupboards. I KNOW she sneaks snacks though, because I go over her house all the time and she will have random boxes of icecream bars or cookie hiding in the freezer or cupboard..hehehe.

anyways, i guess what im trying to say is, its not too late for you! you are more than ten years younger than her, and shes getting more and more healthy and fit each day!

:heart: Danielle
  • Pcarolln
    Options
    You are not alone. I am 62, still employed. I started the program last month and have started eating healthier and exercising. I go to the Y 3 times a week. I will do the treadmill and the upper body. The next time I go I will do the treadmill and the lower body. I was given a 1400 calorie diet by my doctor, but that is to much food since I have started exercising. I usually eat between 1200- 1300 calories. The 100 calorie snack packs are good. I have learned to enjoy oranges. Apples are good and I like to put a little peanut butter ( I think a teaspoon is all that you can have). on my apple and that will satisfy me.

Good Luck!!
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. Anything you can tell me that works well. How about some dessert tricks? I love dessert. Been eating fatfree/sugrafree puddings. But I need a change. How much exercise do you get and is it tolerable? Fill me in Nanascot!
    I try and stick to the calories I supposed to eat but avoid bread, cakes and biscuits particularly. I have a good breakfast, bran flakes or whatever with plain yoghurt and banana. I joined the local gym and try and work out three times a week but with so many different pieces of equipment and advice from the staff there I don't get bored. I also go for a swim afterwards. I thought I was doing ok before but by logging all my food I realised where I was going wrong and could put it right.

The great thing is that the more you lose - the better you feel - the more you can do - and then you lose more again. I am definitely on a high just now and hope to continue that way. We have the summer ahead and that means I can get back to walking and cycling in our wonderful Scottish countryside!