PCOS, TTC and struggling!

Options
I'm 28 and moderately active. I recently moved to the states and have found it difficult with motivating myself to eat like I did before. I find it hard to relate to friends who don't have PCOS because their weight doesn't fluctuate as viscously as mine. Does anyone have PCOS who can share some success stories? Or is looking for another PCOS lady to help motivate them also? I could sure do with friends that I can relate to

Replies

• witchiipooh
    witchiipooh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS it took me 7 years and dropping 135lbs to finally conceive it was such a struggle. Now my son is 2 and I've gained back back 90lbs :( and I'm trying to lose weight again
  • aylajae
    aylajae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow 135lbs is such an achievement!! If you've done it once before you can definitely do it again. Do you think diet is the best way to tackle the conception issues? Or just luck? ♥️
  • witchiipooh
    witchiipooh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Diet is a huge part as well as exercise. I didn't get any periods because of my weight. I also took chaste tree berry which helped get periods and in turn helped with ovulation. I mostly walked and played Kinect on the Xbox for my exercise at first with being 300lbs I couldn't do much but then I got into Zumba and I fell in love with an elliptical lol
  • aylajae
    Options
    That's great! I'm on Myo-inositol and very recently started taking vitex. I'm not as heavy as I was and periods are coming but not to the point where I have regular cycles. I lost majority of my weight thanks to spinning classes but with me moving country I had to leave those classes there. So this wknd I purchases a spinning bike at the wknd in hopes it will bring about more weight loss. The motivation and the ups and downs are the main culprits I think to the lack of anything happening
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    aylajae wrote: »
    I'm 28 and moderately active. I recently moved to the states and have found it difficult with motivating myself to eat like I did before. I find it hard to relate to friends who don't have PCOS because their weight doesn't fluctuate as viscously as mine. Does anyone have PCOS who can share some success stories? Or is looking for another PCOS lady to help motivate them also? I could sure do with friends that I can relate to

Have you considered metformin? If you can tolerate it, it can be very beneficial. Best of luck to you!
  • manicmuse1
    manicmuse1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    To say I have been on a long journey is to put it mildly. I was diagnosed with PCOS since I hit puberty at 10. I have been on most major treatments for it. Medications and diets a like. The only time I felt like I had any sort of control over it was when I was working out 2 hours a day and strictly kept to the phase one section of the South beach diet and was on about 4 medications. Which at the time the south beach diet is what my doctor had suggested. Sadly, I was young. I guess I thought once I lost the weight it did not matter any more. Year by year I let my diet slip and stopped working out. Life lifed and so on. My body started reacting to the medications and eventually I had to be taken off all of them.

After a miracle of having a daughter I realized I was a hot mess. I was 26, smoking again to deal with stress. My hair was falling out, I was tipping the scale at 326.3 pounds. Granted I had postpartum, I had sciatic issues and so on.. but bottomline, I had lost myself.

I knew that what I did before was not going to work. Partly because it failed before but also because now I had no gallbladder. South beach was all low fat cheese and stuff I could not eat. Not to mention my immune system was so compromised I started having severe allergic reactions to the most random things.

I restarted my journey in Nov-Dec of 2015. I went cold turkey on smoking and drinking first. Then I axed the sugar and got a gym membership. By the first of this year, I heard about a PCOS Summit. After watching the online summit, I stunned to learn that some doctors are starting to treat PCOS as a Autoimmune disorder. I was shocked to learn about all the things they now classify as complications from PCOS. I realized that my doctors had always treated my issues as separate issues when really they were all connected.

Somehow I learned about Autoimmune Paleo which led me down a path of cleaning up my eating even further. On paleo I felt better. Anyways, I carried on working out and such and finally stumbled upon Keto Paleo. Its been a few months of learning about it and I don't think I could have done it from the start but Keto and Paleo are my answers.

As of today I have lost 45.5 pounds. I am 280.1 pounds today. I still have a long way to go. However, I feel so much better than I ever have in my life. Now treating my disorder through what I put in my body not just counter acting it with medications. I am not sure if that assists but that's my story. I have an instagram account I am using to sort of track myself now @manicmusesky . I feel like it keeps me focused and accountable. You are welcome to add me on here or instagram. I don't really have many friends myself that have PCOS. We are different and our journeys are never going to be as easy as those without this disorder. However, I feel that it shows our character is strong as we are willing to over come it.
  • aylajae
    Options
    Wow, you have come a long way and the fact you have kept going shows your strong will and determination. That in itself is admirable! I am actually a qualified nutritionist and even with my education and spin on dieting.. TTC is still an active issue! I will add you if you don't mind. I really like your style already and would love to see your journey
  • fatimamahmoudalmoudallal
    Options
    manicmuse1 wrote: »
    To say I have been on a long journey is to put it mildly. I was diagnosed with PCOS since I hit puberty at 10. I have been on most major treatments for it. Medications and diets a like. The only time I felt like I had any sort of control over it was when I was working out 2 hours a day and strictly kept to the phase one section of the South beach diet and was on about 4 medications. Which at the time the south beach diet is what my doctor had suggested. Sadly, I was young. I guess I thought once I lost the weight it did not matter any more. Year by year I let my diet slip and stopped working out. Life lifed and so on. My body started reacting to the medications and eventually I had to be taken off all of them.

After a miracle of having a daughter I realized I was a hot mess. I was 26, smoking again to deal with stress. My hair was falling out, I was tipping the scale at 326.3 pounds. Granted I had postpartum, I had sciatic issues and so on.. but bottomline, I had lost myself.

I knew that what I did before was not going to work. Partly because it failed before but also because now I had no gallbladder. South beach was all low fat cheese and stuff I could not eat. Not to mention my immune system was so compromised I started having severe allergic reactions to the most random things.

I restarted my journey in Nov-Dec of 2015. I went cold turkey on smoking and drinking first. Then I axed the sugar and got a gym membership. By the first of this year, I heard about a PCOS Summit. After watching the online summit, I stunned to learn that some doctors are starting to treat PCOS as a Autoimmune disorder. I was shocked to learn about all the things they now classify as complications from PCOS. I realized that my doctors had always treated my issues as separate issues when really they were all connected.

Somehow I learned about Autoimmune Paleo which led me down a path of cleaning up my eating even further. On paleo I felt better. Anyways, I carried on working out and such and finally stumbled upon Keto Paleo. Its been a few months of learning about it and I don't think I could have done it from the start but Keto and Paleo are my answers.

As of today I have lost 45.5 pounds. I am 280.1 pounds today. I still have a long way to go. However, I feel so much better than I ever have in my life. Now treating my disorder through what I put in my body not just counter acting it with medications. I am not sure if that assists but that's my story. I have an instagram account I am using to sort of track myself now @manicmusesky . I feel like it keeps me focused and accountable. You are welcome to add me on here or instagram. I don't really have many friends myself that have PCOS. We are different and our journeys are never going to be as easy as those without this disorder. However, I feel that it shows our character is strong as we are willing to over come it.

You are a fighter,,,,, Keep up the good work and congrats on losing weight
  • Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have found then best thing I can do is to stay active, yes diet plays a role in it but something about keeping my metabolism going when staying active allows me to feel better than when I don't.

@manicmuse1 I just stated following you on Instagram :)
  • spiritsattain
    spiritsattain Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with all above posts; I am on 1500mg of Metformin (high, I know, but it works) and 150mg of Spriolactone. Those medications only work with me if I maintain a LC diet, which my Endocrinologist recommended.

At first the Metformin was really, really, really, hard to get used to. You guys know what I am talking about... but I have adjusted. And the Spiro is a freaking life-changer. I had hair growing everywhere except my head, and it's turned that around. No more acne, no more back hair (omg, thankfully I have a wonderful SO who gets it) and no more balding.

I workout at least three days a week, not including very active weekends. I am weighing in at 234 today, my highest weight I ever remember being was 280.
  • ashluv2sing
    ashluv2sing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and struggled to conceive. Taking metformin and clomid worked for me and now I have a beautiful 11 month old baby girl. It is super hard for me to lose weight. Metformin helped me before I got pregnant so I am back on that again in hopes that I will lose some weight. I do breastfeed my daughter some still but I am one of those people who didn't lose weight much while breastfeeding. I'm hoping that when I stop breastfeeding officially in a few weeks that my hormones might regulate a bit better and I will lose more. I am currently at 233 and my endocrinologist wants me to lose 10 pounds by December...I would love to lose more but I am taking baby steps and just making small changes each week. This week my goal was to drink a gallon of water every day and work out at least 3 times a week. :-)