Breakfast Is Hard to Stomach.

Options
Hi - I never seem to be hungry in the morning and never desire breakfast. 2 cups of coffee and I am able to delay eating until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Is anyone else like this? I know "Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day" but I have no appetite????

Replies

• Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Some studies have shown that breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. But on the other hand...I have to have it! I'm hungry in the morning especially after I work out. And of course there are still more studies that show breakfast is definitely needed in the morning. Can you incorporate a protein shake with in the morning? Or even just a protein bar? I couldn't imagine not eating until 1...but I'm a hungry girl:)
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I usually can't stomach breakfast food - I think all the grease and such makes me wanna hurl and gives me really bad indigestion. For the past few days I've been trying out Green Monsters - Spinach and fruit smoothies - to see if I can have something filling for breakfast without the upset stomach of normal breakfast food. These are keeping me pretty full until lunch, and its all healthy, which goes with something else I am trying (only fruit before 12 PM).
  • johncowart
    johncowart Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Shelli,
    That is probably because you are suppressing your metabolism. If you are in the fitness condition and/or shape you want to be in then why change? I am pretty sure that over time this may not be a good practice for you on a nutritional level, but if you are happy with where you are at and not to concerned about any kind of long term effect then things sound great.
    I'm amazed at how you can do that. I used to be the same way but I drank coffee all day and was in horrible shape and always tired.
    John
  • dstsur5or
    dstsur5or Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I don't feel like eating breakfast in the morning I have a protein shake to supplement.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    the more you exercise the more you will want to eat breakfast.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Breakfast is important because it gets the body (metabolism) going. I like the idea of a protein shake, low-cal protein bar, etc. Also, who says you have to have "breakfast food" for breakfast? Maybe a low-fat turkey sandwich or something like that. I have to have my breakfast, even if it's just a smoothie (like this morning - yum!)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hi - I never seem to be hungry in the morning and never desire breakfast. 2 cups of coffee and I am able to delay eating until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Is anyone else like this? I know "Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day" but I have no appetite????

You should eat something even if you are not hungry.

It's OK to start small--perhaps instead of plain coffee, have 2 lattes made with skim or lowfat milk. That gets about 200 calories in and some carbs and protein (and some fat if you use lowfat milk). Or make a smoothie and use your coffee as the liquid. Or try a yogurt.

I realize that you aren't hungry, but if you're here on MFP then you realize your eating habits were not great and you're theoretically on a mission to improve them, right? That should include having breakfast.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think the evidence is pretty split on the breakfast being the most important meal thing. I'm sure it is if you are up at 6am working in a hard physical job outside with no access to food for 6 hours, but with a modern lifestyle? It's just not logical, is it? I do have breakfast these days, but later on in the morning, after the school run and exercise (so at about 10.30am), and I have a small bowl of cereal - no more than 300 cals.

I don't think there is any point in forcing yourself to eat if you aren't hungry.
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    Having had this conversation with my MD, the conclusion is that your must start your engine with SOMETHING! Its great that your not hungry until 1 or 2 (wish I had that going for me) However you wouldnt start a car with the fumes in the tank from the day before, It may start up but eventually youll cause it to run down (like our metabolism)...I find it very hard to eat breakfast some days and on those days my MD has let me know that its ok for me to simply have water with my viatimins for the day. Its something that my body can work with and get moving...so If you cant stomach a meal take your daily viatamins with a large glass of water, juice or milk and get moving.! Hope that helps!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

Breakfast isn't necessary. You sound like an ideal candidate for intermittent fasting. Heck, you're already doing it and probably don't realize it. If you're interested in finding out more, check out www.leangains.com. You can tweak things to your own needs.

Some people can do breakfast, some cannot. It's not necessary though. As long as you're not putting yourself into starvation mode I'd think you should be fine.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Check out leangains.com for a bunch of people who don't break their fast until 12 or 1 and eat all their calories in the next 8 hours. It will not hurt your metabolism at all as long as you eat all your calories for the day. I have yet to see any peer reviewed research studies (not epidemiological studies) that show breakfast to be that important. Your metabolism does not shut down over night, nor does breakfast rev it up by eating in the morning than it does eating at 12. This is a misunderstanding of the thermic effect of food. Basically when you eat your metabolism raises to digest the food. This is not a permanent rise, it is only while the food is digesting. It does not rev up your body. In fact during the early periods of fasting say the first 24-36 or even up to 72 hours (what you are doing over night) your basal metabolism actually raises.