Weight loss after miscarriage

Options
Hi there,

This is my first time posting here. 3 months ago I had surgery for an ectopic pregnancy at 8 weeks pregnant. I started exercising again 6 weeks after surgery (mainly as a distraction) and I've also embarked on a healthy diet. I am not overweight, nor was I overweight before, however I put on a few pounds during the early stages of pregnancy, and I had wanted to lose a few pounds anyway so I'm looking to lose about a stone, although I'm more concerned with losing body fat and getting fit, even if the scales don't move.

The problem is, so far I've lost a grand total of two pounds. And I have measured myself and lost no inches, and my clothes don't fit better or feel loser. I do feel fitter but I feel like something has gone off kilter as I've never struggled to drop a few pounds or notice a change in the past, and I'm struggling to stay motivated.

Appreciate any support, advice, tips etc or just people to chat to through the long slog.

Thanks,

Heather

Replies

• fattynomore78
    fattynomore78 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey Heather I'm hear for you whether it's chatting hear or by email, I lost twin boys back in 2008 and that changed my life from that day thank god I'm no longer with there father as I all heard was how fat I was after having them which they were both already passed, than I started having serious health issues and finally in 2015 I ended up having a hysterectomy and I'm now pain free and I can exercise with no pain cause before the pain was awful. Please feel free to add me ID love to check in on you and give you the encouragement you need.

Take Care
    Lisa
  • jennifervfoster
    jennifervfoster Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I was just searching on the topic of miscarriage and found this. I had a fairly traumatic miscarriage in mid-May at 13 weeks, which took several medical procedures to get past. I was a bit heavier than I should have been at the outset, 5'4" and started at about 155, which is about 25 pounds heavier than I like to be. Then, first trimester sucked and I gained 10 pounds, and THEN had the miscarriage. Now, I'm hovering at 165 and am bigger than I've ever been, and have finally started to try and get it together. I've lost NOTHING so far on my own, which is super super frustrating and doesn't exactly make me feel like trying again!

I'm terrified of gaining MORE weight should I get pregnant again, which I do want to do and was hoping to start trying in September. But, I feel like I have to lose at least 15-20 pounds before that, which would still start me at a higher weight than I would like. *sigh*

This was my first pregnancy, though I have a step-daughter who is 6 and I am her only mom. So...no magical tips yet to share as I just started using this tool to get myself on track and see if it helps. But, definitely here to commiserate! :)
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Welcome and I'm so sorry for your loss. I too had a miscarriage in 2013 and it was not only painful but emotional. I can tell you that you might feel better physically but mentally it's going to take awhile. Don't give up and just focus on eating better and exercising. It will all fall into place, it just takes time. Good luck.
  • jennifervfoster
    jennifervfoster Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Lisa. I'm finding that too. It took a lot to get better physically, and the mental really took a hit while I was recovering--that takes longer. Being kind to myself is difficult, because I feel like such a moron for gaining 10 pounds when I was already a bit heavy for my body. And it is taking SO LONG to get it to move!