Daily Calorie Consumption Help!! Online Calcs Suggest Between 1200-2600, Not Helpful

Options
Bworms1980
Bworms1980 Posts: 25 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

I'm new to seriously trying to lose weight. I received a lot of tips and helpful info when I posted here back in December. I'm now putting those food and nutrition suggestions to use but I'm having trouble with daily calories.

I don't know how many calories to eat because all the calculators online and from apps are giving me different information for the same body data. A few suggested 1500 calories and for the first few days everything was great, but now almost 2 weeks later, I'm feeling groggy, dizzy and hungry periodically. MFP suggests 1400 for me which seems low. Been less than two weeks, but according to my scale, I'm losing way more than 2lbs/week. Don't know if its too little calories or the fact that I'm obese.

Here's my stats:

Female
5'5
Sedentary (Work sitting at pc most of the day, get around 2-3,000 steps a day if i'm lucky) Use a mini stepper 3 days a week but only lasts about 3 min for now.
269.8LBS

Weigh Ins

August 4 - 274.8LBS
August 9 - 272.8
August 11 - 269.8

Help!

Replies

• gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome.

i'm no expert but if you're feeling groggy and dizzy it does sound like you're not eating enough. how much are you trying to lose and how quickly?

Are you logging everything and using food scales? It could be that you're not logging correctly and underestimating your intake.

it looks like you've lost 5lbs in a week. the first few weeks can show a higher loss as a lot of water is lost in this time. are you drinking enough fluids? my first 2 weeks i lost something like 8lbs and then it slowed. check your stats on MFP are right. i'm sure there are others who can offer more advice, but that's just my 2 pennies worth.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MFP is lower because its goal intends you to add exercise calories - most other calculators already include your exercise.

But all calculators do is give you a start point, you are way beyond that!

Losing at over 2lbs a week and feeling "groggy, dizzy and hungry" tells you all you need to know - you can, and should, eat more than you currently do and will still lose weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You get differerent suggestions based on what activity level you set (which is kinda fuzzy) and whether you'll be eating back exercise calories or not. Estimations don't really matter that much - you need to adjust to real life anyway, and only time and trial and error and correct measurements of input and output, can tell what your expenditure, and thus calorie need, is.

A good goal is to lose around 1% of your current total bodyweight per week. Your TDEE based on your age, weight and height 5'6", should be around 2670. You can most probably, safely, lose 2 pounds per week eating 1670 calories per day. Initial loss will be slightly higher, because some water is flushed from your body with glycogen, which is the body's fast action energy reserve. (The reason you won't be losing more eating less than that, is that your body can't release fat any faster and will be eating away on other stuff, mostly muscles, and partly shut down to conserve energy. This is most likely why you feel unwell). I suggest setting MFP manually to 1670, get a food scale, use it, and log accurately and consistently. Don't worry about exercise now (and don't eat back any exercise calories), focus on food first. Eat a variety of foods you like and stick to your goal. That's all it takes.

Keep in mind that you'll need to adjust calorie goal when you've lost some weight; MFP doesn't do this for you automatically when you've set your goal manually.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel groggy, dizzy my cure is always to eat a large meal (600-800 cals). Eat your good carbs, your muscles are begging for them.
  • Bworms1980
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I haven't ordered my food scale yet. I have been logging all calories. I have been guesstimating the call of boneless chicken breast and salmon.

I drink at least 8 cups of water daily and 3 cups of unsweetened Japanese green tea after each main meal. I do 5 small meals.

I have been sticking to the 1500 calories. Didn't realize until recently that some people eat back the calories they burn exercising.
    You get differerent suggestions based on what activity level you set (which is kinda fuzzy) and whether you'll be eating back exercise calories or not. Estimations don't really matter that much - you need to adjust to real life anyway, and only time and trial and error and correct measurements of input and output, can tell what your expenditure, and thus calorie need, is.

Keep in mind that you'll need to adjust calorie goal when you've lost some weight; MFP doesn't do this for you automatically when you've set your goal manually.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Bworms1980 wrote: »
    I haven't ordered my food scale yet. I have been logging all calories. I have been guesstimating the call of boneless chicken breast and salmon. I drink at least 8 cups of water daily and 3 cups of unsweetened Japanese green tea after each main meal. I do 5 small meals.

All this is fine, but you can't log accurately without a scale. A good electronic food scale costs around 10-15 dollars and you can get one at Walmart. Eat anything you like. Log everything. Drink enough so you're not thirsty, but more water will not make you lose faster. Tea will not make you lose weight. Number of meals is not directly important for weight loss, but it will be for adherence to calorie goal, and an appropriate calorie goal and adherence to calorie goal is what's important for weight loss.
  • Bworms1980
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 120lbs with 2lbs/wk. I haven't ordered my food scale yet but have logged all calories and guessed with the meat. 8+ cups of water daily and 3 cups green tea. Will double check stats.
    gillie80 wrote: »
    Hi, welcome.

i'm no expert but if you're feeling groggy and dizzy it does sound like you're not eating enough. how much are you trying to lose and how quickly?

Are you logging everything and using food scales? It could be that you're not logging correctly and underestimating your intake.

it looks like you've lost 5lbs in a week. the first few weeks can show a higher loss as a lot of water is lost in this time. are you drinking enough fluids? my first 2 weeks i lost something like 8lbs and then it slowed. check your stats on MFP are right. i'm sure there are others who can offer more advice, but that's just my 2 pennies worth.

• Bworms1980
    Options
    Food scales are one of the many things I've been unsure about. Just didn't know if I need one or if it's mostly for bodybuilders. Beyond that I've logged everything I'm going to eat. Have to start logging here because I was logging in S Health app.
    I haven't ordered my food scale yet. I have been logging all calories. I have been guesstimating the call of boneless chicken breast and salmon. I drink at least 8 cups of water daily and 3 cups of unsweetened Japanese green tea after each main meal. I do 5 small meals.

All this is fine, but you can't log accurately without a scale. A good electronic food scale costs around 10-15 dollars and you can get one at Walmart. Eat anything you like. Log everything. Drink enough so you're not thirsty, but more water will not make you lose faster. Tea will not make you lose weight. Number of meals is not directly important for weight loss, but it will be for adherence to calorie goal, and an appropriate calorie goal and adherence to calorie goal is what's important for weight loss.

• tamatisk
    tamatisk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Scales are not for bodybuilders - who will be more focused on the macros. You need a food scale and you need to weigh everything to work out the true calories. For example I was logging my morning cereal as a portion (30g) before I had scales. When I decided to weigh it I was actually eating 70g of cereal (which was a lot more calories). Same with milk. I logged 100ml of milk but when I measured it I was using over 300 ml. This all meant that I was eating loads more than I should have been. My first time properly logging I worked out I was eating over 3000 calories a day!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Finding the right calorie intake goal is a bit of trial and error. If you're feeling hungry/bad then that is an indication that you may need more. Try adding an extra 200-300 calories per day.

Note: ultimately a food scale helps with logging accuracy. If you're losing weight with estimating, then there is nothing wrong if you keep going as you are for now. Keep in mind that as you lose weight, your body uses less energy and then it can become more important to improve accuracy. In other words, feel free to continue doing what works - and change when it no longer works.
  • Bworms1980
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. Is a scale better than measuring cups? Also do I measure things that say 1 item is the serving size. Like a tofu dog for example. Or log the calories that package gives?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss thus far, @Bworms1980!

At your stated size, you can eat around 2,000 or thereabouts. That number will go down as you lose weight, though.

You're on the right track with buying a food scale, and logging everything you eat. Keep going, you will succeed!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My first 50 lbs were lost with estimating/measuring cups. When you have more to lose, you have a greater margin of error. As you lose more weight, you'll need to tighten up your logging because the gap closes. Know that humans are notoriously bad at estimating what we burn and what we eat, and not in a good way. We always under estimate what we eat, and over what we burn. My suggestion is to keep doing what is working, and when the numbers stall - and they will - get your food scale, start logging tightly, and if they don't start moving again, come to the boards. A food scale is the first place everyone will tell you to start.

Yes, weigh things that say one item is the serving size - these are generalized and not always accurate. Then, if your tofu dog weighs more than the serving size on the package you can either trim it to match the data in MFP, or you should be able to change the serving size to "1 gram" and put the number your scale read. IE my steak last night was 125g, so I entered it at 125 servings of 1 gram.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. Is a scale better than measuring cups? Also do I measure things that say 1 item is the serving size. Like a tofu dog for example. Or log the calories that package gives?

A scale is better than measuring cups.

The calories for a servings on a package can be wrong by up to 10% either way. It depends on how strict you wanna be, but if the item is particularly calorie dense, I would weigh it too. :)

• Bworms1980
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea that even single serving items were off. I'll be doing some homework to see what food scale to get then. Thank you.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The package will probably say something like 1 serving = 1 tofu dog, 95g. There will almost always be a weight in grams for the serving size. That is what you rely on.

If you weigh the tofu dog and it is 99g, then its simple math: actual divided by typical = servings you consume. So 99 / 95 = 1.04 servings. You'd log 1.04 servings. Or if there is an option in the database to change the serving size from 1 dog to grams, you can do that and then just log as 99 grams.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

Not only is a scale more accurate than measuring cups (for anything other than liquids, at least), a scale is also quicker and easier, once you get the hang of it. A few tips:
    • Assembling a salad in a bowl, a stew in a pan, sandwich on a plate? Put the bowl/pan/plate on the scale, zero, add an ingredient, note the weight, zero, add the next ingredient, note the weight . . . .
    • Using something from a carton or jar, or cutting a slice from a hunk of cheese? Put the container or chunk on the scale, zero, take out portion, note the negative value (it's the amount you took out).
    • Eating a whole apple, banana, unhulled strawberries, corn on the cob? Weigh the ready-to-eat food, eat the yummy parts, weigh the core/hulls/peel, subtract & note.
    • I like to keep a few clean plastic yogurt-tub lids around to weigh small items, like a handful of nuts or chopped hardboiled eggs or something. Drop the lid on the scale, zero, add item, note weight, eat or use - just a quick rinse of the lid under the faucet & you're done.

No measuring spoons to scrape out, or wash, except when you need to measure liquids . . . and you can weigh some of them, too.

You can estimate the occasional meal you eat out (in someone's home, or at a restaurant without nutrition info online), and that won't present a problem. But weighing food at home is easy and accurate.

As someone earlier mentioned, you can get along for a bit, while you still have quite a lot to lose, by estimating. Just watch your loss rate, and adjust to lose no more than that 1% (less is OK). But a scale will simplify your life, and be more vital as you get closer to goal weight.

Good luck!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Ditto for the scale. I was soooo wrong eyeballing. Some people can do it, but I don't think most of us are good at it because of the over-sized portions we're used to seeing.

Today, when I packed my lunch for work:
    1. Turned on scale
    2. Put pyrex dish on scale
    3. Hit "tare" (zeroed it out)
    4. Added broccoli to weigh out 1.5 servings
    5. Hit "tare" (zeroed it out)
    6. Added rice to weigh out a 1/2 serving
    7. Hit "tare" (zeroed it out)
    8. Added my beloved chicken tenders (one serving is 66 grams, I've had them weigh anywhere from 62g-151g)
    9. Put on lid, toss in cooler

I do this when I cook, too. Weigh out ingredients, toss into skillet, then add egg whites.

It will help you readjust to what a serving size is when you realize abut half the portion you were eating fills you up fine.

If you're hungry, make sure to get enough healthy fat, protein and fiber.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Just purchase a cheap scale at somewhere like Target or Walmart. They are all pretty standard.

If you're feeling groggy and or weak, I find hard boiled eggs, ev n just one, perks me up quickly. I buy the big carton of 18, boil them and leave them in a bowl in the fridge. They really help when I'm feeling low and would otherwise choose something less healthful or more fattening.

I try not to eat more than three in one day, and often just one a day. But I don't have any cholesterol or other issues to worry about. I was just too fat. Luckily I lost my weight before I got lasting problems....
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea that even single serving items were off. I'll be doing some homework to see what food scale to get then. Thank you.

You've gotten a lot of good advice, I'm just chiming in to say you don't need a fancy food scale to weigh properly. Just make sure it has a "tare" function to zero it while there is still food on it (useful for meals, salads, sandwiches, etc.) and that you can easily switch between grams and ounces as some entries only have one or the other.