Controlling sugars while diabetic

Options
I am a type two diabetic and find it hard to control the sugars in my reports I allways seem over, not by much but enough, I eat healthly and avoid high sugar foods it seems that my intake of fruit banannas and apples tend to push me over any suggestions on what to switch to , I have lost 10lbs in 3 weeks so pleased and walking 4 miles a day feel great only 30lbs to go should be there by xmas , thanks to all who reply in advance
Regards
Needhams aka Dave

Replies

• NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    How does that sugar effect your blood sugar readings. That is the guide I go by with sugars. And, if I find one that spikes my bs, I let it go..... Apples make my bs spike! Go figure. Each food effects everyone differently, only you can adjust what works for you. Good Luck!
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i am type 2 diabetic also...have you tried other fruits or other foods to help lower the sugars. you may want to try raisins, or nuts...do you like nuts?...nuts (especially cashews and walnuts) tend to not affect my sugar too terribly much....i hope this helps. keep trying to find things that work for you....sounds like you are doing well thus far
  • ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Type 2 as well, and have been for 13 years. I find that any kind of fruit raises my blood sugar because of the fructose in it--however, it is still a much better alternative to processed sugars. My sugar also spikes when eating any kind of starch (potatoes, peas) or carbs (bread, cereal) because those also turn into sugar in our body so that it's more easily processed. It's hard for diabetics to control their blood sugars because of all the availability out there with different foods, but I have found that the best route is to stay with protein (lean meat) and lots and lots of veggies (preferably the green leafy kind!) Keep your fruit, starches, and carbs in moderation. Good luck!!
  • needhams
    needhams Posts: 16
    Options
    thank you
  • needhams
    Options
    thanks for tips ,love nuts will try
  • needhams
    Options
    again thank you for advice , been very encouraging and given me ideas cheers from me and again thank you