Mayo-less tuna salads!

Options
beetle_stomper
beetle_stomper Posts: 14 Member
I love me some tuna. My usual recipe is delicious, but uses a LOT of mayo. Now that I'm actively trying to cut calories without sacrificing flavor, I thought I'd share a link with some (occasionally unusual!) alternates.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/20/tuna-without-mayo-healthier-and-good_n_6488168.html

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I often use yoghurt instead of mayo and have previously tried a variation on the beans theme to make cheats fish cakes. Definitely going to give BBQ sauce a go - Not convinced it will work but definitely worth a try!
  • fitblah08
    fitblah08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I put in hummas was not bad at all of course I added onion dill lemon s&p
  • fitblah08
    Options
    White grapes are good too
  • fitblah08
    Options
    Or dries cranberries ( I like to rehydrate them a little in hit water
  • jhkadlec
    jhkadlec Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mix tuna with low cal Italian dressing - gives tons of flavor with little added calories !
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    jhkadlec wrote: »
    I mix tuna with low cal Italian dressing - gives tons of flavor with little added calories !

This!

Or with mustard, relish, onions, salt, shredded carrots, pepper and chopped tomatoes

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of canned tuna - I really prefer canned salmon. The last time I had a salmon melt I mixed the salmon with green chili sauce (I believe it was an extra 20 calories) and spread it on a tortilla with cheese and toasted it up on the stove. It was really tasty. I bet it would work with tuna as well.
  • slappy01uk
    slappy01uk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Tinned tuna with chilli pesto and sundried tomatoes. I don't know if it's less calories than mayo but it is very tasty
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I mix my package tuna and salmon with a Laughing Cow wedge.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    When I make tuna salad, I usually do a mix of homemade mayonnaise [bit less fat and less sodium than most store-bought], spicy mustard and some Mrs Dash lemon pepper blend. Turns out great.
  • valerialeek
    valerialeek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use avocado!!!!! I could have it everyday ❤️
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try using yogurt. It adds moisture but there is not the fat in Mayo.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I only need to use 1 tsp mayo when adding the mustard and other ingredients [41 calories, 7g fat, 7g sodium, 3g protein]
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    o man, I was at the Tomato Pie Cafe in Lilitz PA and got a chicken curry salad with shredded chicken, a little mayo, curry powder, slivered almonds and grape halves. It was freaken delicious! I think it would be good if you subbed in Humus instead of the mayo if you are avoiding mayo. Has anyone tried Naynoise? It's a vegan sub for mayo but I've never had it.