How often do you work out and for how long??

Options
I just hit my weight goal and lost about 80 pounds. I upped my calories and am now focusing on toning and muscle growth. I am wondering how much should I be working out? Right now I am at the gym 5-6 days a week... usually do 20 min of cardio (elliptical or treadmill) then about 40 min of weight training. I feel like I should be doing more but everyone I know says I am doing a lot.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    do as much as you want. what are your goals? if you enjoy working out i know people that spend hours and hours every day at the gym, working out and socalizing. If you are just trying to stay healthy and active you can do that without going to the gym by just living an active lifestyle. Or you can do anything in between. Generally 3 times a week for some cardio and a little lifting keeps people in shape. If you're gonna train for some kinda sport, like running marathon you would add more training time . Its all about what your goals are and what you enjoy doing.
  • amwoods72
    amwoods72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First off - AWESOME JOB!!! I just started about a month ago. Only lost 7 lbs and already seem to be stuck there. I do the gym 5-7 days if able and I usually just walk on the treadmill for 45-60 min at different speeds and intervals. Sometimes I do a few weight machines, but only a few reps on a couple machines that I like LOL!! Not sure how much to lift and for how long. I have fat that I want to get rid of and thought cardio would be best to start with and add more weights later. Not sure if it works that way though :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 3-6 days at the gym, depending upon programming. In that time, anywhere from 30-120 minutes. Again, depending on exactly what I'm doing. For example, I was benching with 3 other guys Sunday, we were maxing out. As such, between a lot of rest between sets, there being four of us (so having to change loads after warmups), and keeping pushing, it took a loooooooong time. Yesterday, I had two different lifts, with not particularly a lot of rest between sets (hypertrophy day) - in and out in 40 minutes.

As Sonya mentioned, it depends on your exact goals and whatever program you follow. Some will have you in and out in 30-45 minutes 3x a week (at least at first - as you advance, you'll probably need more rest between sets, so it'll take a little longer), whereas others will take over an hour.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to tone and add muscle, then I would recommend finding a reputable program to follow. It is a little more difficult for women to do that, so not following a proven plan means it most likely won't happen. Nutrition will play a huge part into it as well. Good Luck!
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Wow, first of all, CONGRATULATIONS! What a big success! B)

If you want to "tone," that is 95% diet. You basically just reduce the amount of fat that sits on top of your muscles. I recommend reducing your intake of saturated fats and sugars.

For muscle growth, what you're doing sounds fine. If you're going for size, I recommend doing the stair master or a walking-pace incline on a treadmill for your 20 minutes of cardio. Mixing in a lot running/intense elliptical exercises actually hurts muscle growth. Take a look at long distance runners' bodies. They are much smaller than a short distance runner. The body actually tries to rid the body of unnecessary weight, including muscle, to increase endurance.

What you're doing is actually what a lot of people at Gold's Gym recommend. They say 40-60 minutes of weight lifting followed by 20 minutes of cardio. Yes--cardio after weights!

I first started exercising a little over a year ago doing five miles a day or 45 minutes on an elliptical six days a week. Eventually I moved to 45-60 minutes of weight lifting five times a week and completely cut out the cardio. I'm happy with my progress and absolutely hate cardio so I doubt I'll ever work that back in. Ultimately, listen to your body. What works for some doesn't work for others.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    do as much as you want. what are your goals? if you enjoy working out i know people that spend hours and hours every day at the gym, working out and socalizing. If you are just trying to stay healthy and active you can do that without going to the gym by just living an active lifestyle. Or you can do anything in between. Generally 3 times a week for some cardio and a little lifting keeps people in shape. If you're gonna train for some kinda sport, like running marathon you would add more training time . Its all about what your goals are and what you enjoy doing.

Perfect advice. I have seen research that found people had most success maintaining weight loss with about 6 hours per week of exercise. Actual mileage will vary since everyone is a little different.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It depends on what the exercise is [lifting vs yoga vs cardio]. On lifting days [4 times a week] I lift for about 60 minutes [12 exercises each day, 5 minutes of lifting/rest for each exercise], yoga [once a week] for 40 minutes, and cardio [either walking or doing elliptical once a week] for 30-40 minutes.
  • debrahbeger
    debrahbeger Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    amwoods72 wrote: »
    First off - AWESOME JOB!!! I just started about a month ago. Only lost 7 lbs and already seem to be stuck there. I do the gym 5-7 days if able and I usually just walk on the treadmill for 45-60 min at different speeds and intervals. Sometimes I do a few weight machines, but only a few reps on a couple machines that I like LOL!! Not sure how much to lift and for how long. I have fat that I want to get rid of and thought cardio would be best to start with and add more weights later. Not sure if it works that way though :)

Yes! If you want to focus on loosing fat cardio is the way to go.. but also keep in mind the more muscle you have the more calories your body naturally burns... so don't be shy about sprinkling in some weight training!
  • debrahbeger
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Anywhere between 3-6 days at the gym, depending upon programming. In that time, anywhere from 30-120 minutes. Again, depending on exactly what I'm doing. For example, I was benching with 3 other guys Sunday, we were maxing out. As such, between a lot of rest between sets, there being four of us (so having to change loads after warmups), and keeping pushing, it took a loooooooong time. Yesterday, I had two different lifts, with not particularly a lot of rest between sets (hypertrophy day) - in and out in 40 minutes.

As Sonya mentioned, it depends on your exact goals and whatever program you follow. Some will have you in and out in 30-45 minutes 3x a week (at least at first - as you advance, you'll probably need more rest between sets, so it'll take a little longer), whereas others will take over an hour.

Oh okay... thank you :) usually in that 40 min of weight training I do like 2-3 ab workouts then maybe 2-3 machines or free weight exercises. I try not to let my heart rate get too low between sets though.
  • debrahbeger
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    It depends on what the exercise is [lifting vs yoga vs cardio]. On lifting days [4 times a week] I lift for about 60 minutes [12 exercises each day, 5 minutes of lifting/rest for each exercise], yoga [once a week] for 40 minutes, and cardio [either walking or doing elliptical once a week] for 30-40 minutes.

I like that plan. I really hate cardio so it would be nice to just have a set cardio day rather than a little everyday!
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    #1 - LOVE your hair.
    #2 - You are doing quite a bit, but now that you're focused on recompositioning and not so much fat/weight loss, you need to focus on the weight/strength training and get off the cardio. I would say a quick jog to just warm up is all you really want to do on your lift days. Then, you'll probably want to get in a good hour lift session 3-4x/week. 2x a week, I would do a good 20 minute HIIT workout. When you over-train on the cardio, it makes it hard to put on any lean mass. However, if you're trying to still lose some fat and just want to lean out (in a more feminine way), I would say you would benefit from 5-6x/week and focus on overall circuit training. Rotate between strength training moves and cardio. The cardio will keep the heart rate up and fat burning while the strength training circuits will help you put on some muscle. :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I do more than that, and my goals are not to lose weight.

I'm in the gym 6 mornings a week, alternating a weight class and spin class. My classes are 45 minutes each and I'm always early to do some elliptical too. It's an hour each time.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    multiple times a day usually.

5:30am = T25
    6:30am = 8 mile bike ride to work
    2pm = 4 mile bike ride during lunch
    4:30pm = 5 mile bike ride to the gym
    5:00pm = Body Beast weight workout
    6:00pm = 3 mile bike ride home

If I go anywhere in the evening, I'll ride my bike there as well.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I am working back up to two-a-days but I do pretty gentle exercise.

For now, MTWF
    5:30 am 45 minute jog
    6 or 7pm yoga, one hour power class

Saturdays
    Weightlifting (deadlifts, squats, hip thrusts, overhead press, bench press) only heavy compound lifts, not really trying to grow muscle but want to stay strong.

I think you are doing OK, truthfully. Doing something everyday, building the habit of exercise, that's what keeps you healthy over time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    Options
    Totals over the last few months.
    Distances include cycling + walking + occasional rowing
    Times include cycling + walking + stair climbing + weightlifting + occasional running and rowing

March 2015: 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    April: 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May: 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    June: 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    July: 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug: 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep: 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct: 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov: 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec: 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan 2016: 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb: 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    March: 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    April: 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May: 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    June 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    July 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes

I exercise 7 days a week ... so if you look at last month, for example, I exercised almost 2 hours a day 7 days a week, on average. It didn't actually work out exactly like that because I put in some long distances/times on the weekends and then less during the week.

• xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1 hour of heavy lifting (Stronglifts 5x5 - squat, bench, deadlift, OH press, bent over rows) 3 times per week. Brisk walking for 30-40 minutes 3 times per week, usually on days I don't lift. Consistently losing 1.5-2.0 pounds per week while maintaining muscle and strength so far (14 weeks). It feels very sustainable without being a big drain on my time or causing feelings of being deprived.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »

I like that plan. I really hate cardio so it would be nice to just have a set cardio day rather than a little everyday!

I actually do a little bit of cardio before the lifting exercise [usually the Fitness Test on my Shwinn 150, it only takes 4 minutes]. This gets my body warmed up for lifting.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I swim 4 miles a day at least 5 days a week. 6 to 7 in the winter since there is no yard work to do on the weekends.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm lifting six days a week for anywhere between an hour to two hours, depending on what I feel I could/should do.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting off the machines and moving exclusively to free weights with a structured program, you'll get better results.

But to answer the question. 4-5 days a week it's Fitness Blender so bodyweight and dumbbell work that varies 30-45 minutes excluding cool down. In addition 6-7 days a week I hop on my mini stepper for 30-60 minutes depending on the workout for the day. That's because I'm really sedentary (agoraphobic, don't get out too much to get natural steps in) and like to eat so it's just bonus work that's easy on my body.