Im new and need help

Options
RealRore
RealRore Posts: 1 Member
Can someone help me understand how the calorie thing is suppose to work.

Replies

• Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Basically you put in your height, weight, activity level, and weight loss (or gain) goal and My Fitness Pal gives you a suggested amount of calories to eat each day. Track EVERYTHING you eat or drink, and track your workouts. Get as close to the calorie goal as possible every day. That's what I've been doing anyway, and I'm down 60 pounds.
  • mrflipmode
    mrflipmode Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi

You start by entering what you want to do, lose weight, gain weight, get fit etc.

Then go to the Food Diary enter each item of food you have throughout the day.
    It will show you if you're heading in the right direction, and if you're , say for example having too much
    fat, sugars etc.
    I've found it very helpful so far and its a good way to make sure you're not consuming too much or too little
    to reach your own personal goal.
    If you need help just shout
  • Starrs16
    Starrs16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do we add in sauces that are in our food? Do I just omit that?
  • Starrs16
    Starrs16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also, what happens if we go over say our sugar budget but we still have lots of calories left in the day..does that mean that whole day is a loss because we went over in one of our macros?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Some people here measure everything with a food scale to help with sauces etc. I wouldn't omit anything, I personally don't weigh anything and just overestimate my calories. Others swear by weighing everything especially if you see a stall in your weight loss.

I also don't pay much attention to my macros at least right now. Calorie is a calorie except when you are talking nutrients. You can lose weight going over your sugar as long as you stay within your calorie goal. But it isn't necessarily healthy to eat a lot of sugar:) especially in the long run.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Starrs16 wrote: »
    How do we add in sauces that are in our food? Do I just omit that?

You can only guess unless you prepare the food yourself. If you do, you can measure the ingredients it took to make the sauce (or plug in the whole container you used if it's from a jar) and then divide over the number of servings you made. Sure, some servings may have more sauce than others, but this method (using the average) is just fine; the servings with less will balance out the ones with more.
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When you first start out may I recommend not being too concerned about your Macro's. Just log and try to stay near your allotted calorie intake. Sometimes you will be dead on, sometimes you will be over, sometimes you will be under. Just get in the routine to log as best you can and aim for that caloric intake. The only Macro I would be initially concerned about is "protein" and that is only if you are hitting gym or exercising initially. The protein will help your muscles recover as well as some other things.

As for sauces and things, I add if I can and I don't if I can't figure out how. Spaghetti Sauce I scan the back of my spaghetti sauce jar), Dressing, nacho cheese, all that stuff can be found. If you can't find it and can make an educated guess add quick calories, or just don't add it. At first its about doing the best you can, not being exact - do that as you get more comfortable.

If you are way over on sugar but have lots of calories left over, it's more important you get those calories in you. A good source of descent calories and protein (for me at least) is "Muscle Milk" or another type of "protein drink". It fills me up, is low on sugar, and provides protein.

Congratulations on starting this. remember its progress, not perfection. Just move forward imperfectly at first and tighten things up as you get better at it.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Starrs16 wrote: »
    Also, what happens if we go over say our sugar budget but we still have lots of calories left in the day..does that mean that whole day is a loss because we went over in one of our macros?

Look up the Pyramid of Nutrition Priorities. Concern yourself with calories first, and nothing else, for weight loss. Once you have your calories under control, take macronutrients (protein, fat, carbohydrates) into account. Then, take micronutrients into account.

In your example, you have more calories left to eat. Sugar's a micronutrient (not a macronutrient) that you need not concern yourself with until your calories and macros are where they need to be. So, the day is certainly not a loss in your scenario, and you can have more food.