How often do you do weights and for how long

Options
I need to do more weight training. How often do you do lift weights, and for how long. I need to work on my core and tone my triceps more.

Replies

• JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Four days a week for 45 - 60 minutes.

Then for cardio I ride a bike, walk or run just about every day, and do a video like 30 day shred or insanity.

I was actually on vacation until yesterday and I'm having a hard time getting back into the swing of things though...
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I tend to go 3 days a week for about an hour at a time.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    I need to do more weight training. How often do you do lift weights, and for how long. I need to work on my core and tone my triceps more.

Weight training is somethign you have to kind of test out and cant just work one part of the body one or 2 days a week and expect results. You should really find a routine that works for you and stick to it based on your goals. I personally lift 6 days a week for a min of a hour to one and half hours every day with cardio every other day.
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I alternate my weight training days with my heavy cardio days. I do a total of 6 exercises minimum of 2 sets with 10 reps. Since I do it like you would circuit training or plyometrics it takes me close to 30 minutes. then if I have time I will do 15-20 minutes of light cardio after
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    3 days a week for 30-40 minutes. The other 3 days are 60 minute walks.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i've been doing strength training three times a week for 30 minutes then i do my cardio right after, on the other days i just do cardio, usually a spinning class
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I try to lift 3 times a week about an hour each time. Now that I am marathon training, it's harder to get in.
  • callumlou
    callumlou Posts: 5
    Options
    hi i do 3 times a week ~ 30 mins cardio followed by 30 mins weights ~ i used to do lots more cardio and to be honest i really miss my cardio but people kept saying to me weights are goood and i will build up muscel which will help burn fat more and i will also tine at the same time ~ i been doing the new program for 2 weeks still miss cardio but fingers crossed it will work xx any fedback would be cool x thanks x
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My trainer has me doing of 30 - 45 of lifting weights, then 30 to 45 cardio. doing cardio last to burn more fat. I do this 4 to 5 days per week.
    <<<< I do 3 to 4 reps of 20 counts of weights, and use each machine in my gym. then 2 sets of 20 second Planks for a stronger core,,,, and squats. then i get on the bike and or elliptical machine>>
    after all this, I take 10 minutes to do good gentle stretching.
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I do 6-7 days a week of weight training and cardio every day. At least 2 hours a day. This is something I have had to work up to as I am in the Army and need to maintain a certain level of fitness. I would suggest starting with a 3-4 day/week rotation with some light cardio built in as well. Make sure to isolate the different muscle groups and give them adequate rest in between.

The best advice I can give is to listen to your body and take the time to develop your routine and start off easy. Good luck.
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 5 to 6 days a week so I was wondering if two to three days a week to start was enough but I Was not sure how long I shoudl do it for. I always did lower body one day and upper the next time
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I would start off slow. If you want to do 3-4 days a week then you can really isolate some muscle groups. For example.

Monday: Chest / Triceps
    Tuesday: Biceps / Back
    Wednesday: Legs / Shoulders
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Full body (light weights, high reps) / Abs

Each day could have 45-60 mins of weight lifting and maybe 20-30 mins of cardio. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 times a week and my workouts are 30 to 35 minutes each.

Short and sweet as my trainer says.

Tuesday - legs
    Thursday - chest and shoulders
    Friday - bi's and tri's

I also spin 3 times a week for 50 minutes and run 2 times a week at least 5 km each run and swim.

Karen