Where am I going wrong?

Options

Replies

• kingdomtech
    kingdomtech Posts: 24 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hey Sophie, counting calories is not the main thing. It is important to TIME your calories correctly in the day to help your metabolism. For example, popcorn in the evening may have little calories but you should try to eat ALL your carbs before the evening. Mornings should be HIGH Carb, little protein and fat, midday should be MEDIUM CARBS, MODERATE protein and fat. Try to not eat carbs or have light carbs after lunch (i.e. no pasta, rice, or potatoes for dinner. ALSO the body has a difficult time with HIGH CARB and HIGH PROTEIN so DON'T DO IT. Good luck! :)

^^ this IS NOT TRUE.

Losing weight is ALL about calories in and eating LESS than we burn.

OP if you start accurately tracking those calories and using a food scale you will lose weight.

I agree with the law of thermodynamics, if we burn more than we take in we will definitely lose weight. However, if we are not mindful of what we take in it may have negative effects. We don't want to cannibalize lean muscle and store fat (the body will do that in an unhealthy diet). That is why if we "come off" a diet there is immediate weight gain.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    Hey Sophie, counting calories is not the main thing. It is important to TIME your calories correctly in the day to help your metabolism. For example, popcorn in the evening may have little calories but you should try to eat ALL your carbs before the evening. Mornings should be HIGH Carb, little protein and fat, midday should be MEDIUM CARBS, MODERATE protein and fat. Try to not eat carbs or have light carbs after lunch (i.e. no pasta, rice, or potatoes for dinner. ALSO the body has a difficult time with HIGH CARB and HIGH PROTEIN so DON'T DO IT. Good luck! :)

Wrong - timings, metabolism, which macros to consume when total and absolutely wrong.
    Metabolism works 24/7 and a meal won't speed it nor will it make function better.
    Nutrients have no timings and only thing that might approach you to this theory is feeding your activities.... but even that....!

THAT IS NOT TRUE.. There is no tricking of the body and the point to just "lose weight" will not have long-term results. Our bodies were designed to process certain foods to do specific things. The idea that oatmeal will have the same effect on your body as chicken because "it's all calories" is preposterous. Nobody should trick there body to loose weight but recognizing what your body needs at the time it needs it is overall healthier and will lead to weight lose. In Sophia's example. She should eat the baked potato for lunch and have an extra portion of steamed vegetables in the evening with the protein.

alrighty then......
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Wrong - timings, metabolism, which macros to consume when total and absolutely wrong.
    Metabolism works 24/7 and a meal won't speed it nor will it make function better.
    Nutrients have no timings and only thing that might approach you to this theory is feeding your activities.... but even that....!

THAT IS NOT TRUE.. There is no tricking of the body and the point to just "lose weight" will not have long-term results. Our bodies were designed to process certain foods to do specific things. The idea that oatmeal will have the same effect on your body as chicken because "it's all calories" is preposterous. Nobody should trick there body to loose weight but recognizing what your body needs at the time it needs it is overall healthier and will lead to weight lose. In Sophia's example. She should eat the baked potato for lunch and have an extra portion of steamed vegetables in the evening with the protein.

riiiiiiiiight....

but no one would eat a diet of just chicken, or just oatmeal, so what you're saying IS NOT TRUE either....
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

riiiiiiiiight....

but no one would eat a diet of just chicken, or just oatmeal, so what you're saying IS NOT TRUE either....

Not to mention, you could eat chicken in the morning and oatmeal for dinner, and it would not matter for weight loss.

I agree that it's important to have a good variety for nutritional purposes, but eating "healthy" and timing has zero effect if looking at it purely from a weight loss perspective. It's all about calories.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat, I eat popcorn all the time at 10-11PM, dinner at 9PM. Breakfast at 12PM, fast food etc. Recently I've lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks eating at 1500 calories at a sedentary level, and over 50 lbs in the long run from past dieting. Losing weight is a matter of calories in vs calories out.
  • abadvat
    Options

riiiiiiiiight....

Not to mention, you could eat chicken in the morning and oatmeal for dinner, and it would not matter for weight loss.

I agree that it's important to have a good variety for nutritional purposes, but eating "healthy" and timing has zero effect if looking at it purely from a weight loss perspective. It's all about calories.

Yup - however the "should be eating the potato for lunch and keep the veg and protein for dinner" topic precipitates anyones ability to even try to have a conversation....
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

riiiiiiiiight....

Yup - however the "should be eating the potato for lunch and keep the veg and protein for dinner" topic precipitates anyones ability to even try to have a conversation....

Wait, you mean I can't have my fried potatoes and fifth of whiskey for breakfast anymore? Darn.. :wink:
  • abadvat
    Options

riiiiiiiiight....

Wait, you mean I can't have my fried potatoes and fifth of whiskey for breakfast anymore? Darn.. :wink:

anytime is a good time for whiskey.... However carbs so early in the mooning?!?!? I'd rather wait to be baked.... unless you wake and bake obviously!
  • prettypeach790
    prettypeach790 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A scale will put things in perspective. I found out I was eating 3-4 times the amount of peanut butter than I was logging. It made me never want to eat peanut butter again when I saw what a REAL 190 calorie serving was. It looks not worth it to me now, but there is a time and place for it for sure ;)

I honestly was probably eating half my days worth of calories in peanut butter and was logging 190 calories. Same with hummus (only not as high in calories as peanut butter).

Just be aware, and once you see what a REAL serving size is, it will change how you look at your choices, and options.

I got a boost of motivation when I realized how OFF I was in measuring my food, because I knew that was why I had stopped losing weight.
  • sophieannstowers
    sophieannstowers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, just weighed some fruit I was having for lunch and realised it was probably more in terms of grams than I thought it was. I do think I've been underestimating the amount I've been eating- healthy diet naivety!

In a weird way I feel as though it never occurred to me that you can still overeat, even with healthy food.

Simple solution to this issue after all :D

Do you think if I do now TRULY stick to 1200 calories with a similar meal plan to what I posted above, plus about 4 hours of cardio a week I'll see results?

Also about the whole 'time' of eating debate I've seen- what are people's verdicts? Does time matter? I have often heard that you shouldn't eat after 7pm etc
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, just weighed some fruit I was having for lunch and realised it was probably more in terms of grams than I thought it was. I do think I've been underestimating the amount I've been eating- healthy diet naivety!

In a weird way I feel as though it never occurred to me that you can still overeat, even with healthy food.

Do you think if I do now TRULY stick to 1200 calories with a similar meal plan to what I posted above, plus about 4 hours of cardio a week I'll see results?

Also about the whole 'time' of eating debate I've seen- what are people's verdicts? Does time matter? I have often heard that you shouldn't eat after 7pm etc

you probably don't even need such a big deficit, if its accurately measured.

and no, timing doesn't matter.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Based on your stats, your body uses at least 1800-1900 calories per day - if sedentary - before exercise. So yes, if you eat 1200-1400 per day then you will lose weight. For days you exercise, consider allowing yourself an extra 50-100 calories. Personally its very hard to aim for a specific # each day. Having a range makes life easier.

The key is accuracy. Some things can be a little tricky to weigh & log accurately. Such as if you weigh meat raw, be sure an use an entry for the raw item as weight changes during cooking due to moisture cooking out. A food scale is an eye opener. If you find you're needing more mass of food, increase portions of lower cal items like veggies, lean protein.

As for time, it does not matter directly. It can matter indirectly if eating late causes you heartburn or other side effects. My husband has been known to eat large amounts of acid-inducing food, then being up at 3am with heart burn. He knows better but still. Something like that can have a negative effect on your overall health and wellbeing, as sleep is important.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    I often eat dinner around 7-7:30, and I eat a snack most nights often around 9. It did not hinder my weight loss and I have recently moved into maintenance. If you have issues with GERD then it is usually better not to eat right before you lay down, but as far as weight loss goes it doesn't matter if you eat in the evenings.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,437 Member
    Options

Gosh, that's very odd: I must be a scientific anomaly!

Somehow, I lost 60+ pounds in less than a year, as a li'l ol' lady, and hypothyroid, without timing a single calorie!

It's a miracle . . . . ;)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Sophie, the idea is build sustainable habits which will see you through your weight-loss to maintenance. As someone earlier in the thread pointed out, you don't need to restrict as much as you are, once you have the weighing/logging down. Slow and steady wins the race.

Someone once said on here, maybe @WinoGelato (?) "Whoever eats the most and still loses weight--wins." #truth
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    what's your water intake like?
  • sophieannstowers
    sophieannstowers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @Raptor2763 Depends on how much exercise I've done; on an exercise day maybe about 1.5L, otherwise it's quite low.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For me, I find it easiest to just play with what works for me. I eat a steady number of cals around 1600-1700 NORMALLY (except this week lol) and don't worry about trying to calculate exercise cals into it... Gives me normally a big enough deficit to hit my targets and keeps me from starving and being really angry lol
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Okaaaaaaaaay. Explain to me then how I lost all my excess weight whilst not giving a flying *kitten* about the timing of any of my meals, not paying attention to anything except calories, and having carbs every evening?