Raw till 4

Options
So I have read about this anyone ever done it? Is natural sugar better than processed sugar?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it but it sounds so faddy. Natural and added sugars are no different once they are in your body but foods that contain natural sugar will be higher in nutrients in the main.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Interesting to know why cooking food after 4pm is ok but not before? Not that I do any cooking before 4pm any way. If I have overnight oats for breakfast and a salad for lunch, fruit & yogurt for snacks I don't cook my dinner till 6pm. So I'm already doing it without trying some days.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's a fad, but it can also be a way to get in more fruit and vegetables; but timing has nothing to say for nutrient uptake (or whatever the reasoning would be); cooking makes some nutrients more accessible to the body (and you can get in a lot more cooked than raw food); and it can be just as easy/effective to spread your fruit and veg intake through your day.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    as long as u get your sugars from healthy sources its ok to have it
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Budjola wrote: »
    as long as u get your sugars from healthy sources its ok to have it

Why? From a caloric point of view, they are all equal.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    So I have read about this anyone ever done it? Is natural sugar better than processed sugar?

It's stupid and natural sugar is no different than processed sugar, which is also natural as it comes directly from a plant.
    You get fat off too many bananas the same as off too many twinkies.
  • AprilBarlow181
    AprilBarlow181 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's called raw till 4 to imply that only one of your three meals is from cooked food. Basically, dinner time. It doesn't mean that you have to wait until 4pm. It simply means that breakfast and lunch are full raw. Everybody knows that things like pasta are not even in the same league as fruits and vegetables when it comes to nutrient density. It's to make sure you get in enough of what you need from whole plant foods.

Also, due to only one meal being cooked, it's hard to overeat on this diet. Check out freelee the banana girl or dateswithlove for more information. Freelee is hated for her videos on other youtubers but her older videos are worth the watch. I personally don't follow the vegan lifestyle due to living with my family. It is definitely sustainable though. Freelee has lived on this lifestyle for over 10 years now.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do you mean like vegetarian until 4 pm? Yes, I am kind of following the diet plan. However, I am definitely not following a raw diet plan. It is easier me to follow a vegetarian diet because even before watching what I ate I never was into meat. I don't get nearly enough protein in my diet so the one meal is better for me. I haven't been following this plan for a great amount of time but so far it seems to regulate my weight.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Looking over the plan, do you think it's something you could stick with for the extended foreseeable future? If not, maybe it's worth considering a different option.

As long as there are no medical issues, natural sugars and refined sugars are both fine in moderation. I eat both everyday and it hasn't affected my weight loss one bit.

For me, dinner is my biggest meal of the day, so I can easily put away a lot of calories from one cooked meal. It's not really hard to overeat. Not to mention, fruits and vegetables still have calories, too, so it's still important to track those.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Natural sugar and processed sugar are not really different -- the processing is simply removing the sugar from the cane or sugarbeet. What the sugar is in is often quite different, and berries or a carrot are going to have more micros and fiber and many fewer calories than a piece of cake (which has a ton of calories from non sugar sources even if the among of sugar is the same).

I haven't done raw 'til 4 and I don't understand the point of eating raw vs. a mix of raw and cooked veg. I think it's good to eat lots of vegetables (and fruit if you like it), but don't think a faddy diet is needed to do that. That said, if it's an enjoyable and easy way for you to eat within calories, nothing wrong with it except that it might make it hard to get enough protein.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Are raw nuts included in this food plan?
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    So, sashimi in the morning, sashimi for lunch and for dinner, maybe sashimi and beer.

I could do this diet...
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Cooking makes many important nutrients more accessible. Raw is an unnecessary gimmick that at best does nothing and at worst is dangerous.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it and it helps you create a calorie deficit, go for it! I had vegan friends who were raw for a time but did not find it sustainable. However, they were vegan, so already not eating many foods, and doing this all day, rather than just for a portion of a day.

I find foods with naturally occurring sugar more satiating than foods with added sugar.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's called raw till 4 to imply that only one of your three meals is from cooked food. Basically, dinner time. It doesn't mean that you have to wait until 4pm. It simply means that breakfast and lunch are full raw. Everybody knows that things like pasta are not even in the same league as fruits and vegetables when it comes to nutrient density. It's to make sure you get in enough of what you need from whole plant foods.

Also, due to only one meal being cooked, it's hard to overeat on this diet. Check out freelee the banana girl or dateswithlove for more information. Freelee is hated for her videos on other youtubers but her older videos are worth the watch. I personally don't follow the vegan lifestyle due to living with my family. It is definitely sustainable though. Freelee has lived on this lifestyle for over 10 years now.

Aaaaand that's where I stopped reading.

That's where I shock my head, still deciding if I should get popcorn.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I tried it a couple years ago when I was vegan. It wasn't sustainable for me and it felt pretty crazy. Eating only fruit all day long left me feeling really insatiated unless I ate massive quantities, in which case I'd be feeling extremely bloated. Then two hours later I'd be starving. I'm not vegan anymore although I fully support the lifestyle, but rawtill4? Just a fad, in my opinion.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Aaaaand that's where I stopped reading.

That's where I shock my head, still deciding if I should get popcorn.
    When in doubt, pop the popcorn.

Fraudlee has been let out of the cage...