Calories for breastfeeding?

Options
Does anyone know if and how many calories I should be adding to my day for breastfeeding? My goal is fat loss but I'm working out also and want to make sure that I'm eating enough to not also lose muscle.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    300-500. I believe you can look it up in your diary log. Just input breastfeeding. It should add calories back.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What I do (and this may not work for everyone) is I don't add calories burned from breastfeeding, I just have my daily calorie goal set as "maintenance level". This ends up being about 1800 calories for me personally, and I know that taking in that many calories will allow my to maintain my milk supply, but I also know I'll be burning calories from breastfeeding. This has worked for me with both of my daughter to lose my pregnancy weight within 3-6 months or so.
  • mpayne1202
    mpayne1202 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't be too tough on yourself when breast feeding. It is so important that you are eating enough. I appreciate that we all want a pre-pregnancy shape back, and I know it's a cliche, but that weight didn't go on overnight and it is there to help sustain you and your baby for a little while. I breasted four children (not simultaneously obvs, thank goodness) and within six months I was very slender, perhaps a little too slim. I walked, lots, pushed the pram everywhere.

Good luck. :-)