Daily Calories

Options
Hey there
I'm sure this has been asked a million times before, but I wonder...
Should I aim to hit my calorie goal dead on everyday?
Or should I aim slightly below?
Thanking you!!
Hazie

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If you are above 1200 stay on target, below is ok. If you are at 1200 then you don't want to go below unless on Doctors orders.

You have to give you body fuel to burn, the right calories, good amounts of Protein, Fiber and Water and limited simple carbs, fats and sodium. Along with exercise will help to lose weight, burn fat and build lean muscle!

Best of Luck!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal?

You should be eating as close to 1200 calories NET as you can. To get your net calories:

Food calories - exercise calories = net calories.

Pretty much, eat back your exercise calories or most of them to get yourself back to 1200.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that you should set a calorie goal and stick with it as best you can until that's not enough. By that I mean eventually some sort of cyclical approach seems to be best for a lot of people once they're lean and trying to get leaner. Until that time comes, don't muddy the waters until you have to.

If specifically to your original question... if you have a calorie goal and you're consistently aiming slightly below it.... why wouldn't that number that's slightly below the "goal" be the actual goal?
  • hazieo
    hazieo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks a million for your replies!
    It's giving me a balance of 1610 a day, I wasn't sure whether to try and get as close to this as possible or to try and keep a bit below...
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks a million for your replies!
    It's giving me a balance of 1610 a day, I wasn't sure whether to try and get as close to this as possible or to try and keep a bit below...

Currently you're at 190 or so lbs. Assuming you're exercising most days of the week, your maintenance is likely around 2200-2400 calories. That's a massive assumption without knowing more about you, mind you.

I'm a fan of moderate calorie deficits... so so 30% or so off of maintenance which in this case would put you at 1500-1600 calories. So MFP's recommendation sounds good to me.

Of course this is just the start. It's not your starting calorie intake that matters. It's what you do in response to how your body responds to the deficit that matters most. Give this a read to understand more:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172515-frantic-about-adhering-to-the-right-calorie-intake-read-t
  • hazieo
    hazieo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve
    Thanks so much for the follow up. I had a quick read of that article/thread and it's really interesting. Gonna sit down with a cup of tea and study it properly.
    Thanks again!
    Hazie
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    I wonder if I am the only person in the world who follows my daily calorie formula. It is:

(Morning weight X 10) - 1,000

This morning I weighed 255, so my calorie goal is 1,550.

255 X 10 is 2550. 2550 - 1000 = 1,550.

Each time I lose a lb, I drop 10 calories from my daily goal. I will probably keep this up until I get to 225-230.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I wonder if I am the only person in the world who follows my daily calorie formula. It is:

(Morning weight X 10) - 1,000

This morning I weighed 255, so my calorie goal is 1,550.

255 X 10 is 2550. 2550 - 1000 = 1,550.

Each time I lose a lb, I drop 10 calories from my daily goal. I will probably keep this up until I get to 225-230.

I know people who are 255 and aren't very fat, so I don't mean to generalize. For people carrying around a lot of body fat though, your equation is workable for sure. Typically heavier folks (meaning more body fat) can afford to run a larger deficit. For their smaller counterparts however, 10 cals/lb is typically BMR, so there's really no need to go lower than that generally.

If you eat your BMR worth of calories, it means you're automatically in a deficit seeing as how BMR accounts for 50-70% of total calories expended each day.

Make sense?
  • sunkissedprincess
    Options
    I am wondering this too... my daily goal is 1200 but i've only been eating about 1000 and burning 500 during each workout which is 5 times a week. And should I be looking at net calories or no??
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I am wondering this too... my daily goal is 1200 but i've only been eating about 1000 and burning 500 during each workout which is 5 times a week. And should I be looking at net calories or no??

It's really simple. MFP uses the good old formula of:

1 lb of fat = 3500 calories

So a 500 calorie deficit per day will, in theory, net you a 3500 calorie deficit for the week (7 days) if you want to lose 1 lb of fat per week.

And a 1000 calorie deficit per day will, in theory, net you a 7000 calorie deficit for the week if you want to lose 2 lbs of fat per week.

Here's the problem. Their math doesn't take into account what's reasonable for people. If you're a big person, which means you have a high daily calorie expenditure, you can afford to shoot for, say, a 1000 cal deficit per day. But when you're smaller, you shouldn't really slash calories so drastically.

MFP doesn't account for this beyond limiting you to a 1200 daily calorie intake as far as I know. Which isn't even sensible since some people may very well need to consume less than 1200 calories per day if they're small and inactive. There's no magic threshold where consuming less = harm for everyone.

So, since they limit you to 1200, you can be a 130 lb woman with a daily calorie expenditure of 1800. You plug into the calculators here on MFP that you want to lose 2 lbs of fat per week. That's a 1000 cal deficit per day, as noted above, which would really put you at an 800 cal daily target. But since they limit people from going below 1200, MFP automatically spits out a 1200 calorie daily target.

This does not mean it's right. It simply means you said you wanted to lose 2 lbs of fat per week. It's important to note that the same problem can exist, depending on your numbers, if you plug in a goal of 1 lb of loss per week.

The very long winded point is 1200 is pretty low for all but a handful of the smaller people around here. Doesn't mean it's going to kill you or ruin your metabolism or anything. But it does mean, in my experience, that's it isn't likely you'll maintain consistency, will, and long term results. But again, 1200 very well might be right for you. It's just that I see it being a product of the very basic math I mentioned above for most people I see claiming a 1200 calorie intake or lower.

One other aside... the whold 3500 calorie deficit per week to lose 1 lb of fat per week isn't even accurate. Yes, there are roughly 3500 cals in 1 lb of fat. But you don't lose solely fat when dieting. Plus metabolic rate is not a static phenomenon... it's variable depending on the day, your exercise, your weight, etc, etc.

Hopefully this helped more than confused.

Oh, and in very general terms, I recommend calculating your daily energy expenditure (otherwise known as maintenance) and subtracting 20-35% from this. That's a reasonable deficit if you ask me, and means the deficit will be relative to the persons weight and energy expenditure. When you make a deficit based on absolute terms... such as 500 or 1000 cals per day... it's very easy to miss the mark relative to what your individual needs are.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    1200 is WAY to low, your body will start to go into conserve mode and you'll stop losing weight all together and won't feel all that well either.

Stoutman81 looks like he's got it going on with his advice.

I do a lot of research on the topic as well.Here are some sites I've used.

Try these and I bet you’ll start to lose weight. Part of it is also trial and error and what works for you.

Exercise and nutrition for beginners.
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/a/begnutrition.htm

A link about nutrition
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/lowcarb.htm

A link about dieting
    http://exercise.about.com/sitesearch.htm?q=What+is+a+proper+diet?&SUName=exercise

Another link about nutrition
    http://exercise.about.com/od/nutrition/Nutrition.htm

I use About.com a lot for research.

You can do it, just stay with it. Even when you get frustrated.

Good luck in reaching your goals!
  • MsALMill
    MsALMill Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    One thing I did was have my RMR (resting metabolic rate) tested by my doctor and with that she and I have decided to eat below that. My RMR is 2330 so I have started at 2000 calories a day and will soon start dropping it to 1800 calories a day. I think the biggest and best thing to do is work with your doctor to set your calorie amounts for the day.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    1200 is WAY to low, your body will start to go into conserve mode and you'll stop losing weight all together and won't feel all that well either.

This can't be said as a blanket statement. Small inactive people could certainly get by on 1200 calories per day. And certain temporary dieting strategies will go even lower than 1200 calories. Metabolic slowdown (really titled adaptive thermogenesis) happens regardless of the size of the deficit.

Sure, a larger deficit will make it happen faster... but that's not the point.
    I use About.com a lot for research.

I use www.pubmed.com primarily. If you understand research methodology and statistics... it's much better to go to the source opposed to someone's interpretation of the source.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hey there
    I'm sure this has been asked a million times before, but I wonder...
    Should I aim to hit my calorie goal dead on everyday?
    Or should I aim slightly below?
    Thanking you!!
    Hazie

You shold be trying to hit it. Your calorie goal already has you eating at a calorie deficit, so there's no need to come in below that.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    One thing I did was have my RMR (resting metabolic rate) tested by my doctor and with that she and I have decided to eat below that. My RMR is 2330 so I have started at 2000 calories a day and will soon start dropping it to 1800 calories a day. I think the biggest and best thing to do is work with your doctor to set your calorie amounts for the day.

You know... I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean in your case it's great that you feel you're receiving quality advice from your doc. I come from a slightly different perspective though. I've worked with 100s of clients over the years as a trainer and more often than not the advice they've received from their doctors has been abysmal.

At the end of the day, your basic doctor doesn't receive a lot of schooling/education with regards to nutrition.

That has been my experience thus far.

And frankly... I don't think figuring out daily energy expenditure needs to be something so tricky that you have to consult a doctor. Sure, if you're finding that you can't lose weight on what should be an obvious deficit... assuming you're being truthful and accurate about your intake... then it's probably worth getting things checked out to rule out any medical issues that could screw with metabolic function.

But in healthy populations, figuring out calorie needs is really simple.

Just an alternative viewpoint.
  • cece62002
    cece62002 Posts: 28
    Options
    @stroutman 81- I am a bit confused. I weigh 291. It tells me that my daily calories should be around 2100 and then it adds in my exercise calories. Is this too much? I am new at this calorie thing but I thought that was kind of high. But I am mostly body fat, is that why my caloric intake is a little bit higher? Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Thank you,
  • stroutman81
    Options
    @stroutman 81- I am a bit confused. I weigh 291. It tells me that my daily calories should be around 2100 and then it adds in my exercise calories. Is this too much? I am new at this calorie thing but I thought that was kind of high. But I am mostly body fat, is that why my caloric intake is a little bit higher? Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Think of it in terms of daily energy expenditure. To figure out how many calories you should consume, you first need to estimate daily energy expenditure. If you know what you're expending on average each day, you can set calories below that in order to trigger a calorie deficit.

The formula for calculating your daily energy expenditure is:

DEE = BMR + TEA + TEF

BMR is your basal metabolic rate which is the energy you expend at complete rest.... things like respiration, cellular processes, etc fall into this category.

TEA is your thermic effect of activity... put differently it's the energy you expend moving around, exercising, fidgeting, cleaning, typing, etc.

TEF is your thermic effect of feeding which is the energy you expend breaking down and utilizing the foods that you consume.

In most people, BMR accounts for 60-70% of DEE, TEA accounts for 10-25%, and TEF accounts for 5-10%.

What does all of this mean to you?

Well the primary point I want you to understand is BMR accounts for the majority of your energy needs. And the larger your are... fat or muscle... the higher your BMR is going to be. Which is one of the reasons why larger people have higher daily energy expenditures in general. This can also be attributed to it being more energy costly to move around a heavier body than a lighter body.

Now there are all sorts of formulas in existence that estimate BMR such as the Harris-Benedict, Katch-McArdle, and Mifflin-St. Jeor equations. With these you simply plug in your variables such as height, weight, etc and it provides you an estimated BMR. Once you know your BMR, you can multiply it by an activity multiplier... lower for sedentary people and higher for active people... and this multiple adds in the estimation for TEA and TEF to give you an estimated daily energy expenditure.

There are other ways too such as indirect calorimetry, bodybugg type devices, heart rate, etc.

The point is there's no right or wrong way to estimate energy expenditure and to be honest... I'm not a fan of investing a ton of time in doing it since metabolism or energy expenditure is not static. It's a moving target. To invest a ton of time and energy in taking a snapshot of it seems sort of silly.

I much sooner suggest estimating with simple means....

Something like 14-16 cals per pound. This isn't set in stone. It assumes moderate exercise most days of the week. If you are super active and/or feel that you have a fast metabolism, you might want to bump it up to 16-18 or whatever. If you're not very active and/or feel that you have a slow metabolism, you might want to bump it down to 12-14 or whatever.

For obese people, I typically shoot for 12 cals/lb as maintenance.

Once you know your maintenance, otherwise known as daily energy expenditure, I'm a fan of cutting 20-35% off of this number to establish a deficit. The higher your energy needs are, the higher in that range you can go. In fact, people carrying around a lot of excess body fat can get away with deficits in the neighborhood of 50% of maintenance.

As hinted above... it's not what you estimate your maintenance at that's critical. Rather it's choosing a deficit that fits you... one that isn't terribly uncomfortable, and what's even more important is how you adapt to your body's response to the deficit. You see... if you find that you're losing too quickly or too slowly, you can adjust your intake every 2-4 weeks.

This concept de-emphasizes the importance of picking the right calorie starting point and puts the emphasis on the process, which is much more logical.

Does that clear up your confusion?
  • cece62002
    cece62002 Posts: 28
    Options
    Yes I believe so. I will have to play around with it and just see what works for me. I know I can do under 2100 because I am not reaching that daily. I may try to adjust it week by week. I do not think 1200 calories is good for me because of my size. I do think 1500-1700 can work. Thanks for the advice.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Yes I believe so. I will have to play around with it and just see what works for me. I know I can do under 2100 because I am not reaching that daily. I may try to adjust it week by week. I do not think 1200 calories is good for me because of my size. I do think 1500-1700 can work. Thanks for the advice.

Yea, most people can get in adequate nutrition at an intake of 1500 plus. It then becomes a matter of how you feel on it. Are you cranky, starving, etc. If so... then bump it up since you certainly have some "wiggle room." If you don't though... let it ride until it stops working.
  • MsALMill
    MsALMill Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ahh, that's the thing I am not your normal healthy person; I have PCOS, insulin resistance, cysts on my thyroids and a metabolism that is about 1200 calories slower than most others my weight. Since we got this information in May and I have kept a 2000 calorie a day goal, I have lost right at 30 pounds. I am not looking to loser miracle amounts in a short time period, I am looking to lose weight for the long hall in a healthy way and be able to maintain it in the years to come.