Dead serious. Please help me.

Options
Hey you guys. I've posted before, but I've never been completely honest. I don't know what's wrong with me. I don't know how to stay on track. I lost 70 lbs, and then I gained 90lbs back. Now I'm terrified of my health deteriorating, or not being able to defend myself. Can anyone please help me stay focused?

I want us to be support for each other. We can work together to do this. I want to lose that 90lbs again, but then I want to lose more. What about you? Why are your goals and reasons to stay motivated?

Please feel free to add me and message me! ☺️

Replies

• ignaciorodriguez007
    Options
    Well the greatest thing I found out....is to be honest....an first seek medical advice an stick to it...u can do it
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " Now I'm terrified of my health deteriorating..."

Sounds like pretty good motivation to me. As you have already lost 70 pounds, you know what to do. As you are "terrified of my health deteriorating" you have a reason to do it again. You really don't need "motivation" , you need determination. You need resolve, you need to commit. You need to act on your fears, wants and dreams.

I really don't know what to say to you to get you to act on your fears, wants, desires or goals. I do know that we all do what we want to do the most. If we want to lose weight and get fitter we will do what is necessary. If we don't want that healthier lifestyle enough, we won't do what is necessary.

Until you decide to do what needs to be done no one can "make" you do it.
    Watch:

Fattie to Baddie, eat under maintenance and go out today and walk a half mile. Do this everyday this week.
    Did ya do it?
  • MrsBenTarr
    MrsBenTarr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I get a mental block when I get close to my goal. Then I gain it back. Then I re-lose it. Then this time I found out I had a cartilage tear in my hip and I had to get surgery to repair it. While waiting for surgery, I gained 30 lbs. I'm finally cleared for activity, so I need some motivation, too. Let's do it together!! I'll add you!
  • Timothyh27
    Timothyh27 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just try to be regularly active, you can do it!
  • pztodd
    pztodd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi there. These guys are right, no one can make you do it, so maybe a good place to start would be spending some time understanding what it is that makes you gain the weight.
    For me it was a number of things: I love food!! And I eat when I'm bored. So now that I've identified some of the issues, I'm thinking about how I need to change my mindset. I'm always going to love food but now I'm making better choices. And when I'm bored instead of turning to food, I'm looking to other things to fill the gap. It's still early days yet but the fact that I'm getting to the heart of the issue rather than just sticking myself on a diet to lose some weight has gotta be a huge positive. We can be our worse enemies when trying to face up to our issues but I really hope that you find the thing that works for you ☺
  • KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Getting yourself into the mindset is the hardest thing. I would try eating a salad and then assume I had "earned" pigging out on pizza later. The biggest thing to start with that will help you - log your food on here. This is what saved me. Seeing the calories on here... I now can see why I got so big. I logged for a couple of months my normal food. After seeing the numbers go over limits every day, I was able to make reductions on things I already ate. So log that food! It make seem corny and such but trust me, it works. Once you get that figured out, you will find this so much easier!!!

And - you can still fit in the treats!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This is going to be long, so get comfortable! As others have said, motivation comes from within. No one can give you motivation you have to find it for yourself. You can, however, be inspired by others' motivation. Look at the success stories in these forums, make a list of the reasons you want to lose/maintain your weight, post it somewhere you can see it every day and refer to it when you feel yourself slipping. Many here will tell you that rather than needing motivation, you need commitment and dedication. When motivation wears down, commitment and dedication will often take over and get you through the tough times.

You have already lost and regained 70 pounds, so you know what it takes to make weight loss happen. Sometimes that is actually worse, though, because you start remembering the negative aspects rather than the positive. Instead of thinking about this being about losing a certain number of pounds, look at this as changing your life for the better. You're making changes to ensure your health stays as good as it can for as long as it can.

With that in mind: Babysteps! Start slow. You don't need to remake your entire life in one day, week or month. Make little changes and keep doing those things until they become habit then add another change. Right now, that change should be getting into the habit of weighing and measuring your food and logging every single thing you eat and drink; everything down to chewing gum and vitamins. You don't need to change what you're eating or how much you're eating yet, just log it all and be brutally honest with yourself. You may not like what you're seeing but you'll learn a lot more if you can correlate what you're eating, with how many calories it contains.

If you don't own a kitchen scale, buy one and use it. Most food should be weighed, not measured, even salad dressing and peanut butter packaging gives servings in grams which is a metric unit of weight. If you're inaccurate with your logging your results will not be what you think they should be.

After a week or so of logging, look back over your diary and figure out where you can make some substitutions that will have big impact. Smaller portions at meals. Swapping one or two sweetened drinks with water or something zero calorie. Strive to stay at or just under the calorie goal MFP sets for you every single day. Don't worry about sugar, carbs, fat and protein for now. Once you get logging and staying under your calorie goal you can focus on those things including figuring out your TDEE, BMR, etc.

Exercise isn't needed for weight loss but it's important for fitness and overall health. Don't join a gym right away (babysteps!) just start moving more. Park at the back of the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk on your breaks at work, use the bathroom that's furthest from your work space. Later, find an exercise activity that you like whether that's walking, running, swimming, biking, Zumba, or whatever. If you like it you'll be more likely to stick with it. Working out shouldn't be something you dread each day nor is it punishment for eating.

Consider strength training right from the start, it has huge benefits. You'll not only lose more fat but your metabolism will be higher. Maintaining muscle is much easier than building new muscle and your body has built up extra to carry your excess weight. If you can keep most of the muscle you already have while losing fat, you're going to look amazing when you get to your goal weight!

Take "before" pictures so you can better judge your progress visually. Results on the measuring tape are more important than those on the bathroom scale. Measure your chest, waist, hips, thighs and any other body part you want to track and start recording them in MFP now. When the scale isn't moving your body might still be shrinking especially if you're lifting weights.

The most important thing right now is that what you're doing is sustainable. You shouldn't be trying to reach an end goal weight but changing your eating habits for life so you don't gain the weight back. That means that whichever way you're eating while you lose weight should be the way you plan to eat once you reach your goal, just a little more of it.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Focus on making permanent lifestyle changes rather than numbers on a scale.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'd go see someone in conjuction with others tips. Honestly it seems more of a mental game than anything. Try ho see someone to talk through your psychological relationship with food and nutrition.
    Honestly until u deal with this you will always yo yo. And u can't get it from MFP members. Do it.vtaje control. You can.
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @FattieToBaddie I completely understand. I just did the same thing. 2011 I lost 70lbs. I gained about 20lbs back over the years. Over the past 6 months I had 3 surgeries back-to-back where I gained 70lb in 6 months. Never been this big EVER. I understand your anxiety. I lost 20lbs. But it's gone up 4 lbs because I have my period. I'm FREAKING OUT.

But. We've both done this before.

We know how to do this.

The only way to get rid of anxiety is to face it and work out like cray. Because although we hate the gym? I love how I feel AFTER!

We have this. Let's do it again! Like we did before.

Pain in the butt, yep. But it's like a bad hair cut. It will grow out and we can change the style.

So. Let's change. Do it again.

You're stronger than you think.