Is this evil? (How I am avoiding sweets at work)

Options
There are cupcakes in the break room at my work. So, I am telling all my co-workers in the hopes they will eat them all before I go to the break room for lunch.

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Evil, no. Keep it up and you're likely to be getting the evil eye from your coworkers after a while.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it evil. I'll let my coworkers know when they are treats in the break room because that way they have a chance to get them before they're gone. I love cupcakes so I fit one in my daily cals when they're available.

Same here. I don't view treats as "bad", so telling others about them doesn't make me feel guilty. I'll save that for actual wrongdoings. It's okay to tell others. If you don't want to have one, try to distract yourself or just avoid the breakroom.
  • nina4w
    nina4w Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I feel a little less guilty. I have such a small amount of will power that one is never just one. So, I try to avoid them.

There are some cheat days I do but I try not to go overboard.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Am I evil? Yes I am.
    Am I evil? I am man, yes I am.
  • nina4w
    Options
    now I want a cupcake. I wish I worked with you.

Haha. There are ALWAYS sweets at my work. The other day it was donuts. I have a major sweet tooth, too. It gets difficult!
  • nina4w
    Options
    I have been avoiding sweets and the vending machines at work, by putting stickers on my calendar for every day that I stay away. It has been 34 "work days" as of today, 7 full weeks as of tomorrow. If I want treats I bring them with me to work and it helps to pre-log. I will be on vacation 2 weeks around labor day and I plan to purchase Lululemon pants as a reward for abstaining at work.

I may have to use the sticker idea! Awesome!
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I work in a crisis call center, so there are sweets and other "comfort foods" literally every day in the kitchen. The other day someone offered me an Asiago bagel and it pained me to decline. But I looked less bloated today so I guess that's nice...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Definitely not evil! There are plenty of people who are simply not watching their weight and will eat whatever is around the office. Letting them know there are treats is doing those people a favor! The fact that it helps you, too, doesn't change that fact. :smile:
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Not at all.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    That's not evil. And honestly IDGAF if something is slightly evil if it helps me keep my blood sugar down and helps me not gain weight. If people hand me something fattening, just pushing it on me without even asking if I actually want it, I just smile and take it then the moment they look away I drop it in the trash and hide it under a crumpled piece of paper. I'd rather be evil than fat.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I have been avoiding sweets and the vending machines at work, by putting stickers on my calendar for every day that I stay away. It has been 34 "work days" as of today, 7 full weeks as of tomorrow. If I want treats I bring them with me to work and it helps to pre-log. I will be on vacation 2 weeks around labor day and I plan to purchase Lululemon pants as a reward for abstaining at work.

I am gonna start doing this! We have so many sweets and candy at work and I ruin my diet every day by eating sweets. I love Lullemon so this is a great idea!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I do ask myself what it's gonna taste like. I don't want to waste 300 calories on a subpar cupcake when I could make them super delicious at home. That's the worst, when the baked good looks good and then they are subpar and you know you just wasted a crap ton of your calorie budget on it. Like that day I got the chicken pot pie from work and it was all crust and no filling. I wanted to beat the people in the cafeteria.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do ask myself what it's gonna taste like. I don't want to waste 300 calories on a subpar cupcake when I could make them super delicious at home. That's the worst, when the baked good looks good and then they are subpar and you know you just wasted a crap ton of your calorie budget on it. Like that day I got the chicken pot pie from work and it was all crust and no filling. I wanted to beat the people in the cafeteria.

I relate to this so hard. I try to determine whether or not it's something worth spending the calories on. Some of my coworkers are excellent cooks/bakers, or bring in fantastic treats from local bakery, and I'm pleased with my choices. Rarely are things like Dunkin' Donuts or candy bars as satisfying to me.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options

See I have the reverse - once I ordered a pot pie and it was literally a bowl of thick soup with a piece of toast on top!! I was so mad!
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We don't have many at my work. Occasionally people bring cakes in I politely refuse. Unless I really want one and then I'll log it.
    A place I used to work at would always have staff morning teas. We would all have to stand round food as its part of 'team environment '. I always brought my own portion of carrot sticks and hummous or yoghurt. People would always get me to just 'have one cake it won't do any harm' which now I know it was to elevate their own guilt. But I stayed strong. Didn't feel bad about it. I was still there eating. Just eating my stuff that I'd packed. I actually like how people got annoyed lol
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have such a sweet tooth that it's very hard to resist cakes, cookies, donuts etc. But I did very good today and resisted the urge to eat my coworkers peach cobbler. I stared at it for what seems like forever, then declined and ate my yogurt instead.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    nina4w wrote: »
    There are cupcakes in the break room at my work. So, I am telling all my co-workers in the hopes they will eat them all before I go to the break room for lunch.

I don't know that it's evil, but you're doing this because you know that if they are in there, you might be tempted to eat them. Someone else in the office might be struggling with the same issue, and now they have the knowledge that cupcakes are available when they might have just gone about their day not knowing.

It sounds like the bigger issue is that there are always sweets at work, which means you're either going to have to figure out a way to deal with it, or talk to other people in your office to find out whether or not the sweets at work is a part of the culture people really want, or if everyone would also prefer that tradition come to an end. It can be a vicious cycle, one person brings in a treat to be nice and people eat it so as not to offend, then people who eat it feel obligated to bring something to share and be nice, and soon food is everywhere and no one really wants it around. You might not be the only one who would prefer it not be there.