I feel like I'm not losing fast enough...

Options
The other day I realized I've almost lost 15 pounds so far, so I was feeling pretty good about my progress. That is, until I finished logging for the day and realized I've hit my 50th day of logging.
I feel like 15 pounds is nothing for that long of a time, and admittedly, it was pretty discouraging.
I don't know if it matters, but I'm 5'3 and my current weight is ~213. I'm on a 1,400 calorie limit, but some days I don't even hit 1200, while other days I'm right on the mark.

What do you guys think should be considered good, steady progress?

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    That's over 2 lbs/week. Congrats !!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A healthy rate of loss is 1-2 pounds per week. 15 pounds in a little over 7 weeks sounds perfect to me! :flowerforyou:
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    15 lbs is great for less than 2 months!! Think about it this way... Normal loss is 1lb a week so at 2 months that is about 8lbs and you are almost double
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    1 lb per week is considered steady progress. 2 lbs is considered rapid weight loss. 50 days is close to 2 months, or 8 weeks - which, if you're going the steady route should be ~16 lbs lost. I'd say you're right on track.
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    To give you a bit of perspective - I am 5'3" as well and on 1400 calories per day. I exercise (not strenuously) 4 times a week for 30 minutes. I have lost exactly half a pound a week for almost a year. That's about 21 lbs down...I am only offering this information so you can see how someone similar to you is doing. I am not the most consistent person at coming in under my calories but I am a consistent logger. FWIW...good luck and hey - 15 lbs is a great loss!!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    .5-1 pound a week is good steady progress. 15 pounds in 6 weeks is2.5 pounds a week. Which is spectacular and depending on how much you have to lose, a little too fast.

You are doing great. Keep it going! :)

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi, that is a little bit over 2lbs a week. This is the most you can hope for if you want the weight to come off in a healthy manner. For comparison I've lost 24lbs in 170 days so far, that is a pound a week :) Keep going!
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Omg that's amazing? What's the rush though. Remember it's not just about losing the weight it's to do it in a sustainable way.
    So when u hit your goal range you can keep the weight off. Plus if you go lower it gives u next to no room for enjoying life and it all becomes about 'dieting'
  • Jellybeanz44
    Jellybeanz44 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Until recently I had a streak of more than 600 days logged. Something like that. I had lost 17 pounds at one point and am now right back to about my starting point. Life is a journey. It's too short to beat yourself up over not being closer to your ultimate goal. Your 15 pounds lost is awesome!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Readjust your thinking. You're doing very well. It's important to keep your goals and expected progress realistic. There will be times you don't lose anything for a week or two, and you need to be ready for that. Weight loss isn't linear and you shouldn't be aiming for more than two pounds a week loss. When you get closer to your ideal weight you'll have to adjust expectations again to more like 0.5-1.0 lbs a week. Be patient. It's not a sprint!
  • thelastmelon97
    thelastmelon97 Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone - that's great to hear! I feel spacey for not trying to do the math for weekly loss. I guess it just seems like a longer time when phrased differently.
    And congrats on your progress as well, gebeziseva! Hitting 20 lbs is an awesome accomplishment!
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm new. I gained a lot of weight due to 3 medical procedures. But, I've also lost weight. So I've been here before. What I can tell you is that you have to hit your calories so you don't slow your metabolism. Sometimes you think less food equals less weight, but it can backfire. Also, you need to increase your exercise. You might have hit a plateau. Intervals on a treadmill for 20 mins is a great warm up. If you have a weight routine, increase it! YOU CAN DO IT! Don't worry about the scale. Remember. Muscle weighs more than fat. I was 150lbs. Every one thought I was 120lbs. I was a size 4. It goes to show you the scale doesn't matter. Stay off it. Your clothes will tell you if you're dropping. Or have someone you trust keep a journal of your weight once a week for you. But don't look. What matters is that you hit your calories. Your protein. Workout. Up the weights if you see a plateau. And no matter what keep going. Sometimes it drops in a month.

Remember, when you don't see progress it doesn't mean your body isn't working. Don't get discouraged. I know it's hard. Believe me.

But you are stronger than you think. You've got this. My name is I manifest goals. Because you have to believe you can.

And there is no can't. You WILL. You WILL beat every roadblock. You've got this.

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    A healthy weight loss should be 1% of your body weight. While it's great that you're losing 2 lbs a week, as you slowly move into onederland, expect to start losing 1.5 lbs a week.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    And congrats on your progress as well, gebeziseva! Hitting 20 lbs is an awesome accomplishment!

Thanks @thelastmelon97 :) I still can't believe I'm capable of determination.

I think the period is in itself a great accomplishment and reason to feel proud. 50 days of consistency and determination is a lot! Well done!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The first few months are tough as the dieting is really on your mind and it does feel like it takes ages to shift the weight. But I'm told it gets easier.

*looks hopeful*
  • thelastmelon97
    thelastmelon97 Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Neanbean13 wrote: »
    Omg that's amazing? What's the rush though. Remember it's not just about losing the weight it's to do it in a sustainable way.
    So when u hit your goal range you can keep the weight off. Plus if you go lower it gives u next to no room for enjoying life and it all becomes about 'dieting'
    Thank you! I've been actually trying to keep it steady, but I think because I was such a high weight in the first place it's coming off more rapidly than I thought. That is good advice though, especially since I would hate to see the pounds packing back on once I hit maintenance!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    According to the Reports page I've lost about 15 lb in the past 2 months. Gee whiz, I was feeling pretty good about that until I found this discussion.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2", I just looked and I lost 16 pounds in my first 8 weeks, so I think you're moving along just fine! Don't forget to take your measurements and progress pics! They really help if/when you hit a plateau! Happy MFPing!
    Oh-I started at 204 pounds.