Loosing Weight By Calorie Deficit

Options
Is it possible to loose weight by just having a calorie deficit and exercise, and not try to do low carb or low fat or eat a particular diet?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's very possible. Many of us have done it. Many of us are doing it. Many, many people have been successful with it.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Carbs and fat are good for you!
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yep, totally. Focus on your calorie deficit. Playing with your macros can help you create that deficit when/if you're ready, but they are secondary to calories.
  • fontoniajff
    fontoniajff Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    YEEEEES!!! I am currently doing so right now. I have lost 11 lbs so far and on my way down to 150 for my goal but my ultimate goal is 125-130lbs. It's quite easy once you know what foods fill you up and are low in calories. I log everyday so you can look at my diary if need some suggestions. The scanner part is life!!! It makes logging so much easier. If you need motivation feel free to add me everyone :)

Okay rant over ;)

Side note- I vlog on YouTube as well (username: Fontonia or Jessica Fortner)
  • faiths13
    faiths13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much :) I was doing Trim Healthy Mama for awhile, but being super restrictive on what I could eat caused me to want to over indulge and beat myself up.
  • stevenroach5
    stevenroach5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40 lbs in 4 month by calorie deficit alone. If you use the APP and log what you eat when you eat it (not try and remember at days end) just eating 500 Cal less a day equals 1 lb per week (1lb=3500 Cal)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fats and carbs are good foods when balanced with other nutrients. Your body needs a variety. Stay within your calorie allowance and you'll lose weight.
  • faiths13
    faiths13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40 lbs in 4 month by calorie deficit alone. If you use the APP and log what you eat when you eat it (not try and remember at days end) just eating 500 Cal less a day equals 1 lb per week (1lb=3500 Cal)

Thanks!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - that's the way it's done. I don't "low carb" or "low fat" or anything like that. I was told by a nutritionist to pay attention to the protein and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves, and I've found that to be pretty true. Don't exercise much if at all, and I'm losing.

To anyone who's die-hard exercise type - I'm not saying exercise isn't important - it is. BUT it's SO much more important WHAT you put in your mouth than what you do with your body. Primary reason: Usually at some point, there's no way you can "exercise off" something you ate. For example - it might take all day to burn off the few hundred calories in a blizzard. I'm just saying - calorie deficit is where it's at.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    faiths13 wrote: »
    Thank you very much :) I was doing Trim Healthy Mama for awhile, but being super restrictive on what I could eat caused me to want to over indulge and beat myself up.

No need to "do" any particular program. Eat your usual foods EXCEPT measure portions & log them.

As time goes by you will find that certain foods don't give you a lot of "bang for your calorie buck." Because you will be reducing calories, you need to make foods count more.

Example: a typical breakfast for me was....a bowl of cereal with 1% milk. I measured the cereal (OMG! the portion was tiny)...logged it, and found I was hungry before lunch. My breakfast now is .....a Greek Yogurt parfait. I still get the crunchiness of cereal but I get lots of protein too.

Just find swaps for some of your foods. Other foods you eat are just fine. I still eat chocolate, but in smaller portions....no grazing or mindless eating (my biggest downfall).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Of course! It's about eating less calories than we burn...
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Carbs and fat are good for you!

And super delicious when combined together
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Absolutely OP! I've lost 85 lbs doing just that. I eat carbs, fat and protein and do a moderate amount of exercise. Consistency and calorie deficit is what will bring weight loss success.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, fat, protein, sugar, and fiber. I also make certain that my daily calorie intake is in a calorie deficit. This app (I use the web site) has the tools and resources you need to comfortably enter and maintain a calorie deficit. Do that for an extended period of time, reduce the frequency of your caloric excesses, and you, too, will lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to loose weight by just having a calorie deficit and exercise, and not try to do low carb or low fat or eat a particular diet?

The way all diets work is by putting you in an energy (calorie) deficiency. Some people just find it easier to low carb or follow some kind of diet plan vs counting calories...but they all work on the same premise.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

What you experienced is normal, to be expected - and exactly why "diets" are NOT recommended - except by those who benefit from them - those who earn their living from repeat customers' failure to comply to their impossible diets. You see it every day on these forums. You can also see that people who have success, have found a set of habits and behaviors that is sustainable.