Motivation vs. Depression

Options
Hi could really use some help. I suffer from severe anxiety and depression and it effects my every day life.

I have the want to get up and exercise and diet and do all these things but when the day comes I struggle to move my heavy legs from my bed. It's so difficult for me to get up each day let alone to be motivated to work out.

I really could use any help or advice anyone can give, as long as it isnt "take antidepressants, see a shrink, etc."

Thank you

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i get you.

i struggle with these things too. the thing is, i KNOW if i get out of bed and exercise then i will feel better. sometimes i just can't because it's too overwhelming. but it got easier when i shifted my thinking. instead of thinking of the exercise as something i should do i started thinking of it as my selfish time. the one time of day where i can block out everything else and do something that is really only for me. headphones in and music loud.

i also have tried to shift some of my depression and anxiety into anger, which sounds counter-intuitive, but i don't really get mad. if someone steps on me i blame myself get sad instead. so turning some of those emotions outwards when it's justified is helpful. and i run faster mad than sad for sure.

you can also break it into increments. tell yourself you don't have to run (just as an example) you just have to get out of bed, and if you can do that, you just have to get dressed, then maybe you just have to walk to the end of the drive, if you can do that, you can run for a minute (you can do anything for 60 seconds is a big mantra for me), etc. once i get started i almost always reach my goal for the day.

all that being said, i believe that talk therapy, with the right person, can benefit everyone. another selfish thing you can do just for you.
  • RiRi1588
    RiRi1588 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you got to "fake it until you make it" kinda mentality...start off by finding exercises that you enjoy, you're more likely to stick with it. Also, if you have anxiety or fear of the gym, try working out to youtube videos or creating your own routine at home...if you live somewhere with nice weather, start by walking. I found the more i started to exercise, the more my body craved it and I remained active.

I also found the following helped... meditation / yoga / serotonin / omega 3's (fish oils) / Vitamin B's / watch caffeine intake
  • hali1
    hali1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with the above... I've had plenty of days where the motivation came from the getting up and doing, not the other way around. Sometimes when I really don't want to do anything I'll tell myself I'll just walk instead of run. Or I'll just go out for 10-15 minutes instead of 30. Or I'll get on the bike but I'll just go really slow instead of pushing myself. 90% of the time once I get started, THEN I start feeling like doing it and I end up with the good workout that I thought I didn't want to do. It doesn't always work, but almost always, and I figure even if I occasionally quit after the half-hearted lazy version, at least I've done something, which is a lot better than the nothing I would've done if I stayed in bed.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you're faith is; but being a believer I've come to know that sometimes you have to encourage yourself. The human mind is a powerful tool. We can think ourselves happy and we can think ourselves sad. It's up to us to take our issues by the horns, wrestle it down, stand on its neck and say "Greater is He that is within me....". It starts with getting out of bed even if you don't want to, taking a walk around the block even if its just one, choosing not to go back for seconds or making any other decision that you feel would bring you closer to being the person you want to be and living the life you want to live. Speak over yourself, declare victory, and get after it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    sometimes, i literally roll off the bed/couch.
    also having a dog is nice because she makes me get outside at least for potty breaks
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Exercise is my anti depression pill.
    I've always suffered since I was about 11.
    Also sun. I started by morming walks. Music in. Gentle walk. Granted I had to swallow my anxiety of going out in public. Heart racing. Stomach cramps. I found music I love n blast it down ear phones. Choose a destination qtion just to get to. Walk there. Sit. Reflect. Breathe. Congratulate myself for going on my own. I did it. Walk back. Kept doing til I didn't have to think about it anymore. Walking in sun is always my go to for balancing me if I feel depression coming on. Now I go gym 6 days a week. It's baby steps .
  • nikkitimkitembo89
    nikkitimkitembo89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had severe panic disorder and I'm 90% better now I thought it would never happen I got out and got into a routine like another person said here I had to fake it until I made it I was bad unemployed and I gained 60lbs I would cry all day I thought I was dying I went to the mental hospital to try and see if I needed to be checked in I felt so out of control I came close to calling an ambulance to take me late one night I was so miserable and my racing mind became so unbearable then I contacted my aunt to see if I could go work with her I didn't get paid much but it wasn't about the money it was about keeping my mind busy and it worked I gradually got better I went from having panicked attacks all day every day to having them maybe one a day then 3x a week then once a week then once a month then I got a real job and had them once every 90 days then only during certain stressfulsituations now I am happy to report I haven't had a panic attack in over two years
  • calomeni85
    calomeni85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Amen kenyainez.

I completely understand what you're going through kaydeexoxo. I suffer from anxiety and depression as well. Try to set a goal everyday. Even if it's a 5 minute walk. Start small and grow as you become more disciplined. We lie to ourselves when we say it's not going to get easier. It will. Believe it and push yourself to move forward. We all fall short. When you fail, do not let it define you. Keep pushing.
  • kaydeexoxo
    kaydeexoxo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    sometimes, i literally roll off the bed/couch.
    also having a dog is nice because she makes me get outside at least for potty breaks

I would love to have a pupper to help me but unfortunately my landlord doesnt allow it.
  • darciew2
    darciew2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety as well. It makes getting out of bed very hard.... I'm with the people who say fake it til you make it.... I'll start tomorrow if you will!!
  • kaydeexoxo
    kaydeexoxo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    darciew2 wrote: »
    I have anxiety as well. It makes getting out of bed very hard.... I'm with the people who say fake it til you make it.... I'll start tomorrow if you will!!

I've been saying I'll start tomorrow for years :(