Getting healthy

Options
So, imagine my surprise that I just realized there was a community out here after using this app for 4 months. Anyway, I had a fairly major health scare back in the spring, and it has motivated me to start taking my weight seriously. Doc has me watching calories, carbs, sodium, fat ... you name it, I'm probably watching it!

Very excited to have found these forums, and look forward to getting to know folks on this same journey.

Replies

• philbanet
    philbanet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd share a bit of my story as it always helps me to talk about it.

I've always been heavy. When I was younger, at least I was active enough to keep it from getting out of control. But as I got older, that activity decreased and I ballooned up. In December, I got myself a Fitbit and was determined to increase my activity level. Started walking all over at work, trying to get my 10k steps in per day.

One Monday in the middle of March, I'm going into work. Walk up the stairs and down the aisle toward my desk, and I can't catch my breath and my heart is pounding. Rest at my desk a little while, and then head down to the doctor. She sends me to the ER. Cat scan reveals "extensive" pulmonary emboli, or blood clots in my lungs. I am admitted to the ICU immediately and spend a week in the hospital.

I am put on blood thinners to reduce the existing clots and prevent any further ones from forming. Upon release, I meet with my primary care physician to setup weight management sessions. She is the one who suggested this app, and she's the one who gives me my food goals every couple weeks.

On January 1st, I weighed 332 pounds. Last Monday, I was 295. My pants are falling off of me (try not to visualize that, especially if you recently ate!), and multiple people have remarked about how good I look. Of course, that makes me feel great. It's the first time I've been under 300 pounds in at least 10 years.

Don't really have a weight goal long-term. Looking to tick off increments of 10 slowly and steadily. One nice goal that I do have for myself is to be able to buy shirts at a regular store rather than a big and tall store. That would really make me feel good!
  • MsLadyTAW
    MsLadyTAW Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community. I just found it myself. Your story is inspiring so I appreciate the share. If you are looking for some support along the way, send a friend request and I will watch for your feed and be a loyal cheerleader. I would enjoy the same thing myself. Either way, I wish you a slow and steady journey to better health--and a good time along the way. Sometimes the process can be where the fun is.