Vegan/Vegetarian/Pescatarian

Options
I am needing motivation and advice. I am wanting to lose 35lbs. Any advice on what macros to use and any meal ideas that are vegan, vegetarian, or pescatarian are much appreciated! TIA!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't need motivation, but you do need commitment, and correct information. Set your calorie goal to lose the closest equivalent to 1% of your body weight per week. Don't worry about macros until you have done that and logged accurately and tried to stick to that calorie goal for a month.

Veganism is about ethic values, it's not a weight loss diet. You can eat anything you like and lose weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian (for 42 years) and have lost 60+ pounds since April 2015. My diary is open to friends, so you can send me a friend request if you want to be able to see what I eat.

I cook/fix most of my meals at home, so lots of my meals are basically just a list of ingredients, but I usually put something in the "food notes" area to remind myself how I combined them. I rarely use recipes; I 'just cook'.

I'm at maintenance now, but my diary goes back to when I was losing. I try for a minimum of 0.6-0.8g per pound of goal weight daily of protein, .35g per pound of fat (as much as possible from healthy sources, some with each meal), at least 5-9 servings of fruit and vegetables daily (preferably more), and 35g or more of fiber. I rarely eat protein powders, protein bars, or fake meats - not because there's anything wrong with them, but because I personally find regular foods more tasty & satisfying.

Advice: Don't be in a rush to lose weight. Slow is good, especially if you have relatively little to lose. Log your eating carefully, weigh your food when you can, use your diary as a powerful tool (i.e., review it regularly to identify eating changes that would improve your nutrition, satisfaction, enjoyment), and don't panic if you have an "over calorie goal" day (just get back on track).
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    First off, I'm glad you're here. I believe you should absolutely be excited about the changes in your life that are coming.
    Both the responses above are really good advice.

Here is my addition...Hopefully this won't be terribly redundant.
    Use this app. Every day. It's a great tool.
    Be honest with yourself. Be honest about your calories and how you feel. Recognize when something isn't working. Adjust.
    Try to help others. This has been huge for me. Share what's worked for you and what didn't work for you.
    Make friends. They'll definitely help.

I believe in you.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Check out this group for vegan/vegetarian meal ideas: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

Your macros are largely going to be personal preference. I would try logging a few days the way you like to eat, and see where you end up. You can always tweak your macros to be closer to what is comfortable for you, rather than trying to change how you eat to adhere to the macros.
  • tlblake84
    tlblake84 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Indian recipes! A lot of Indian foods are vegetarian or vegan. I'm a terrible cook and I eat out a lot. I learned I can eat pretty healthy and add vegan meals to my diet by go to Indian restaurants.