Cheat meals During Weight Loss

Options
I am currently in the middle of trying to lose weight before I go back to college and I was wondering if it was okay if I allowed myself to have one cheat meal a week? I guess I was wondering because instead of thinking of my new healthy changes as a "diet" I like to think of them as lifestyle changes. Therefore, in life we sometimes are allowed to indulge, right? Or will these completely impede my progress?

Replies

• nikesandbows
    nikesandbows Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals are a very grey area....
    I personally allow myself to have one once every two weeks. But I also follow iifym, so I'm not limitin myself to typical "healthy organic clean eating " type foods. I have a set amount of each macros I must hit every day and if I can make ice cream fit, I get to eat it. But do not take that as I eat crap all the time lol. It just allows more flexibility and is a lifestyle change, not a diet. Just so happens I can manipulate my numbers to lose, maintain , or bulk :)

So I only have a cheat meal twice a month. The problem with cheat meals is people usually make it a cheat day or turn that meal into 6 courses. I find no issue with once or twice a week. But it can only be ONE item. Not a salad, dinner, and dessert.

Does that make sense?
    Keep in mind. Those cheat meals are extra calories. It might not stall you, but it's possibly gonna be a longer journey
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to the numbers. If you wipe out your calorie deficit with your cheat meal, then you won't lose weight.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I am currently in the middle of trying to lose weight before I go back to college and I was wondering if it was okay if I allowed myself to have one cheat meal a week? I guess I was wondering because instead of thinking of my new healthy changes as a "diet" I like to think of them as lifestyle changes. Therefore, in life we sometimes are allowed to indulge, right? Or will these completely impede my progress?

I learned a long time ago to let go of the concept of cheat meals because cheating implies doing something wrong. However, since weight loss happens from a calorie deficit, I allow myself treats each day unless my calories do not allow it.

This.
    I think I first heard of cheat meals at weight watchers. Definitely a diet concept - you diet, you cheat. So much better to call it "life" and practice daily habits (e.g., exercise, calorie count, brush and floss your teeth, etc.) to make it a high quality one.
  • merryward13
    merryward13 Posts: 1,662 Member
    Options
    I call it a treat meal. I log it and it usually does throw off my macros a bit. I am pretty clean and on point during the week otherwise. I'm in the process of losing a good bit of weight too. Having a treat meal helps keeps me on point the rest of the time.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I do not plan cheat meals. I do, however, have days that I go over. These are generally days where I have social functions planned. On these days I try to do two things 1) get in a good workout in the morning and 2) make the best decisions I can while out enjoying time with friends and family.

To me there is a significant difference in mentality. I'm not waiting all week to spurge and the focus is not on the food itself. What it is about is incorporating new "healthy lifestyle" practices into my actual life. About finding a balance of being healthy and enjoying life. What I have found is that when I (estimate) log all items I consumed the next day, I'm rarely over maintenance for the day. The couple times I did go over maintenance, it wasn't enough to negate me weekly deficit. As such, while I may have lost a bit less on those weeks, I haven't noticed any significant impact on my weight loss.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you set your calorie deficit to lose .5-1 lb a week, you should have enough calories to enjoy yourself and feel satiated, and still lose weight. In my mind there's no such thing as cheat meals. Just eat in your calorie range the things you want and fill you up. No need to torture or punish yourself with unnecessary feelings of regret and failure when you've done nothing wrong. If you don't enjoy yourself, it will be almost unbearable in the long run. Wish I would have learned this years ago :)
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like whenever I like. If I'm craving something, I make sure it fits in my calories for the day. If it doesn't fit, then you exercise a bit more to allow room for a calorie deficit. This is a lifestyle change and restricting yourself of your favorite foods will lead to bingeing later. You can also learn how to make your favorite meals to be more healthier and have less calories. It's all about being more mindful of what you're eating.
  • kprimaverab
    kprimaverab Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal either saturday or sunday -like you said, it's a lifestyle change and usually I go out on one of these days. Be careful not to turn it into a cheat day where you consume 4000 calories (it's easier than it sounds).
    My cheat meals have included:
    -3 slices of pizza and a few cookies
    -A big bowl of icecream
    -A burger and fries.

I have managed to lose 16.5 lbs in 3.5 weeks so no, I don't believe cheat meals stop you from losing weight. Your body has evolved to deal with spikes in sodium and sugar in a healthy way.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the point of a "cheat" meal. I don't view food as bad/cheating..it's just eating what I like. Plus, my deficit is only set for enough for .5lb/wk, and I could easily wipe that out with one meal. So yes, one big meal very well can affect weight loss. A "cheat" meal is really only cheating yourself. Why not just eat what you want, when you want it, and make it fit?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm also firmly in the "no cheat meal because I eat the foods I love on a regular basis so there's no need to 'cheat'" camp. I have wine and chocolate pretty much every day. Fast casual, fast food, or pizza about once/week. These are all still within my daily calorie total usually. A big restaurant meal maybe once or twice a month. This may be over my daily calorie total, but usually within my weekly calorie goal, because I usually have planned ahead and banked some calories during the week to give me more to work with at that event. I did this while losing, and am still doing it while maintaining.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have an aggressive calorie deficit and I exercise, I can fit large meals in once or twice a week and not go over my weekly calorie budget.

Whatever you decide to do, do log it.
  • RosslandMTBr
    RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat large delicious meals (I.e. Sushi) but I don't really view them as cheat meals because I don't like the term. Cheat implies I am doing something wrong. Usually I save my sushi meal for a day where I am going mountain biking for 2+ hours and I need the extra calories. I would prefer to eat one really satisfying meal than have a bunch of small treats throughout the week but both options work. I always log it though. If you can make it fit without destroying your deficit then enjoy.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What constitutes a "cheat meal"? Why not just eat at maintenance every now and again, or even over? All you're doing is making a choice to lose weight more slowly.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have one low calorie day and one high calorie (I eat at maintenance) day so that my overall weekly deficit stays the same. On my high calorie day I have what I call a "controlled" cheat day. Its worked for me so far.

This allows me to begin getting used to what I can eat for maintenance. When I reach my goal next year I will have a good idea what I can have on a daily basis.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Every newbie seems to want a cheat meal every week. Whom are you hoping to cheat? Once you have clearly identified whom you wish to cheat, and recognize that cheating that person will cause that person dismay, chagrin, perhaps even crushing depression and, in the best possible case, suicide, you are ready to proceed.

In the technical sense, you are suggesting that you can assemble a weekly calorie deficit of sufficient calories that a weekly large meal does not exceed your calorie deficit, allowing you to lose weight over the course of 7 days.
    In order to do that, you have to know your calorie deficit. To do that, you have to accurately and diligently record everything you eat and all your exercises. Once you've done that for 6 days, you have to enter all that into a spreadsheet to sum up your total calorie deficit. Then you have to calculate exactly how much of a big meal you can fit into your weekly calorie deficit for the week. It makes my head spin. You can try it. You can explain to your friends and significant others that CICO doesn't work because you tried it and gained weight, but that would be cheating.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    For most of my, "cheat meals," I try and pre plan and bank calories throughout the week.
    My birthday, however, all bets are off and I give myself everything and anything I want for one meal and I feel great about it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    We're going to an all you can eat buffet tomorrow, so i guess this will be classed as my cheat day :open_mouth: Trying to guesstimate the calories seems like a pointless task. I added 3000 calories into my diary, but it could be way more, or less, who the F knows!!
  • ClareMillsRoberts
    ClareMillsRoberts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm usually strict in sticking to my calorie goal 5 days a week - in fact I'm often under my calorie goal if I've worked out - but then am more relaxed on 2 days a week and probably eat more at maintenance levels on those days. I tend to plan those days around times when I'll be eating out and will have less control over making low calorie/healthy choices. My calorie goal is 1,200 though so even with 2 maintenance days I should still be in a deficit for the week.