Calculating calories.

Options
I just power walked for 22 minutes at a speed of 6.8mph, (according to my iPhone at least). How do I work this out as this site only has "Walking 5mph" as an exercise option! If someone could link me to a calculator that's accurate I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Replies

• amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    They have running at 6.7 mph.
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    I would put it in as "running 6.7 mph" as that is probably the most accurate for your workout. While you were not running you were still moving at that speed.
  • sjbland_
    sjbland_ Posts: 5
    Options
    Wonderful!! Thank you!
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I actually read an article from Runner's World (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html) that said that you would burn more calories walking fast or running slow because it " forces your body to move in ways it wasn't designed to move." Ineresting article.

Try this: http://www.icb2001.com/Calories_Burned_While_Walking.asp
    Not sure if it's accurate, but might help.
  • afoard
    afoard Posts: 1
    Options
    If you have a smart phone down load a free app that you can use when you are running or walking. I use buddy runner and give me a report every half mile. I love it because it pauses my music when I am running to give me my time pace and distance every half mile. At the end of a run or walk it gives you the calories you have burned your distance pace all that kind of thing and you can compair your previous workouts. There are several fee apps out their.
  • sjbland_
    sjbland_ Posts: 5
    Options
    I have a couple, but their designed for cycling. Can anyone suggest a really good one for walking/running on iPhone. Doesn't have to be free if it's worth it.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I use a www.walkjogrun.net - you can plot exactly where you have walked and input what speed you did, it will then calculate the calories burned etc. you can also adjust your weight to make it more accurate and then you can create a new exercise on here :-)) I think there is an iPhone app you can download but, from what I remember, it was a little fiddly (haven't tried it again though).