Cheap options to increase protein?

Hi everyone, I'm gonna start running soon for the first time in a long time. I've heard over and over that the benefits from running stem from the recovery process. I can't really afford much at the moment, but hopefully one or some of you knows of a viable option for me.?

Thanks so much.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Buying and roasting a whole chicken is about the cheapest option I can think of.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Cottage cheese
  • adambrewington23
    adambrewington23 Posts: 18 Member
    Chicken and cottage cheese are both going on my shopping list.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Beans, soy, are fairly cheap.

Dairy products have protein in them and can be purchased cheaply relative to meats. My DW makes her own yogurt - yummy, not too many calories and has protein.
  • adambrewington23
    Beans! I forgot about beans. Thank you. :)
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Almonds, protein powder for shakes goes a long way, ground turkey ($5 Jenny oh), string cheese
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    0 fat Greek yogurt
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    greek yogurt, eggs, protein powder, lowfat string cheese!
  • MonicaGarysr
    MonicaGarysr Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2016
    Yep. Roasting a whole bird, turkey works too. I use a crockpot. Last I carmelized onions French onion soup style first and then cooked it in that in the crockpot. Kept it very moist. Also quinoa is great!
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Tinned tuna, eggs and milk

I buy a soya protein that works out very cheap per portion (I use Pulsin but I'm in the UK - 20g has 18g protein and costs 25p)
  • markdolanmoore
    markdolanmoore Posts: 19 Member
    edited August 2016
    Protein powder is the best value with the least collateral caloric hit. I buy my protein on Amazon (ON Whey Protein). I avoid any artificial flavoring/sweetners, so I have to buy the boring Vanilla flavor since the rest are packed with those undesirables (I changed my life when I quit all diet sodas and the like). That said, it's low carb/sugar and tastes pretty good. The food everyone mentioned is great, and you can use protein powder for convenience if you either fail to hit your macro needs, or just want to "get it in fast". 1st runner up? Chicken breast. If you're higher fat, lower carb like me, you'll do great with lots of avocado's and bacon too ;)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Beans and rice are a staple of many cultures for a reason.
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    I second the eggs and tuna suggesting. Where I live, canned tuna is like .70 cents a can and a dozen eggs are around a dollar.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm gonna start running soon for the first time in a long time. I've heard over and over that the benefits from running stem from the recovery process. I can't really afford much at the moment, but hopefully one or some of you knows of a viable option for me.?

Thanks so much.

Rotisserie chickens. Can be had for about $5-6 in most US grocery stores. It's pretty much as pure a protein source as one can get, once the skin is removed.
  • adambrewington23
    Boiled eggs for breakfast. A tuna veggie wrap for lunch later. Thank you guys so much. Its been a long time since I've eaten healthy and transitioning is more difficult than expected.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited August 2016
    It really depends on the area and where you shop, but for here the four cheapest sources of protein [not counting beans/lentils] is:

Eggs [$0.025/gram]
    Canned Tuna [$0.027/gram]
    Cottage Cheese [$0.028/gram]
    Whey Protein [$0.028/gram]

If you go with whey protein, EAS makes a fairly decent whey for cheap [$15 for 540g protein], and the vanilla one isn't overpowering and mixes well with juices or orange water enhancer.