Weight gain

Options
Being doing diet for 2.5 years and lost 4 stone. Just weighed and I've put on. Don't understand. I stick to calories well most of time I'm under and do a lot of walking

Replies

• em_jay101
    em_jay101 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Might just be a bit of water retention. Maybe leave the scales for a few days and try again? X
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you KNOW you've done everything right keep at it for another week and it might show a double loss. This has happened to me before, it's really disheartening but if you have done MFP correctly then it will hopefully just be water and not fat. The loss should show eventually.
  • ayanasioux
    ayanasioux Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To be honest, this site is kind of crash diet promoting. It's not really healthy to eat less than 1800 (depending on your height) calories a day because it puts your body into shock.

Let me share my personal story, I did mfp for about a year and i lost 40 (didn't reach goal weight though) then I couldn't lose anymore even though I was eating 1200 calories a day. I would someone's go under that but it didn't work because your brain thinks it's going through a famine so it's storing everything you eat as fat and glycogen.

After failure to lose weight, your brain then causes you to binge eat because it needs more fuel. I quickly gained 10 pounds in a couple weeks from binging. I freaked out, under ate some more, but didn't loss anything. It happened again before I changed my eating habits and went on a one year binge, and I ended up gaining a total of 90 lbs back. I'm ashamed, upset, and embarrassed. Now I will never eat under 2000 calories because it's not healthy for anyone to eat such low calories that this app suggests.

If you're having issues, I suggest you get out of the crash diet *kitten* show and look into reverse dieting so you won't gain ridiculous amounts of weight like I did. I don't know how much your weigh and etc. so I won't suggest anymore advice until if/when you decide to respond.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    "Most of the time."
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    angsj1 wrote: »
    Being doing diet for 2.5 years and lost 4 stone. Just weighed and I've put on. Don't understand. I stick to calories well most of time I'm under and do a lot of walking

How long has this gain occurred over? As you've been at this for over two years, I'm sure you understand that weight loss isn't linear. You probably just need to tighten up your logging.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

The fact you said "well most of the time" answers your question. You have to weigh and log your food correctly every day otherwise you can very easily go over your calorie allowance.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ayanasioux wrote: »
    To be honest, this site is kind of crash diet promoting. It's not really healthy to eat less than 1800 (depending on your height) calories a day because it puts your body into shock.

Let me share my personal story, I did mfp for about a year and i lost 40 (didn't reach goal weight though) then I couldn't lose anymore even though I was eating 1200 calories a day. I would someone's go under that but it didn't work because your brain thinks it's going through a famine so it's storing everything you eat as fat and glycogen.

After failure to lose weight, your brain then causes you to binge eat because it needs more fuel. I quickly gained 10 pounds in a couple weeks from binging. I freaked out, under ate some more, but didn't loss anything. It happened again before I changed my eating habits and went on a one year binge, and I ended up gaining a total of 90 lbs back. I'm ashamed, upset, and embarrassed. Now I will never eat under 2000 calories because it's not healthy for anyone to eat such low calories that this app suggests.

If you're having issues, I suggest you get out of the crash diet *kitten* show and look into reverse dieting so you won't gain ridiculous amounts of weight like I did. I don't know how much your weigh and etc. so I won't suggest anymore advice until if/when you decide to respond.

No I'm sorry. That is not how it works.

• dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ayanasioux wrote: »
    ..... I couldn't lose anymore even though I was eating 1200 calories a day. I would someone's go under that but it didn't work because your brain thinks it's going through a famine so it's storing everything you eat as fat and glycogen. .

There is no such thing as 'starvation mode' - here is a really handy link that refers to scientific studies proving this but uses plain language to explain: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Also, unless you are on a ketogenic diet your body has a finite reserve of glycogen, it cannot increase beyond this threshold. Glycogen is fed into the gluconeogenesis cycle when a person eats too little glucose to fuel the body. Glycogen is reserved specifically to deplete during times of famine -basically the opposite to what you were saying.

If anything you found the last of your weight difficult to lose because eating less slows your metabolism over time. There are good resources on MFP to help you work through a plateau and the final pounds to goal weight. These include exercise and nutritional resources - this is all contrary to your idea that MFP promotes a crash diet.
  • angsj1
    angsj1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

The fact you said "well most of the time" answers your question. You have to weigh and log your food correctly every day otherwise you can very easily go over your calorie allowance.

• angsj1
    angsj1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for all ur help, when I said I stick to calories some times, I meant sometime I'm 2 - 300 under allowance.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    @ayanasioux if you couldn't lose weight eating 1200 or less because your brain goes into famine mode then how do anorexics get so dangerously underweight eating very little??!!

I have asked this very same question at least 20 times to the "starvation mode" proponents on here, and have never received a reply, not even an attempt at an explanation. Maybe i should start a thread asking this question??