Question: Lack of Self Control with certain foods only

Options
Wondered if some could comment on this. Why do some people have a lack of either will-power or self-control when it comes to some foods but not others?
For example, donuts, chocolate candies (snickers, reses, M&M’s, etc.) or chocolate chip cookies can be right in front of me, in the house, at work, wherever accessible, and I have absolutely no temptation and no interest to eat any of it. I can honestly say I haven’t had any of those in over a year.
However, if you put a box of nature valley granola bars, or a box of sweetened cereals, (cinnamon toast crunch for instance) in the house, I lack any control and could binge on them until I’m stuffed, sick, and have to sleep. Seriously, just about any food that I would buy in the typical cereal aisle, I lack any control over. But anything in the bakery, candy, cookie, or ice cream aisles seemingly has zero appeal to me whatsoever. Does this make any sense at all?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's an issue of taste preference, not willpower. Plan for whatever you want to eat, or avoid it if you don't want to eat it.
  • littleberriesinbarrie
    Options
    haha I am the same way but with plain chips! Give me that over any sweets anyday. If it happens to both of us does that mean we are both normal? ;)
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's an issue of taste preference, not willpower. Plan for whatever you want to eat, or avoid it if you don't want to eat it.

For me it's an issue of willpower, based upon taste preference. The only thing that controls my willpower, is if it isn't mine; I've even tried pretending something wasn't mine but that only works, if it actually isn't mine.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    We all have our thang. Me? I can binge on bag of apples or just about any kind of jerkey. Just gotta be careful with them!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    What you described is pretty common (trigger foods), and that one reason why people choose to abstain from that food, or limit it to a specific quantity on a specific occasion. I wish I had an explanation as to why it happens and knew how to "turn it off," I would be rich.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm like that with popcorn (the packaged kind, preferably a sweet kind) and sometimes uncontrollable around nuts. It seems to me, for nuts, if I give myself a little bit every day, then I don't go hog wild on them, or at least not nearly as often.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback - yes, those are trigger foods, and I can (and do) abstain by not bringing them in the house:) Glad to see its normal :)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I can eat entire bags of potato chips or tortilla chips and salsa without batting an eye (which is why it's better that I don't keep them in my house, unless it's a single serving bag). But I've thrown away many sweets and baked goods because they sit there for so long they get stale or moldy. And I'm pretty sure there's candy leftover from Halloween in my pantry. Sweets just don't do it for me, no willpower necessary.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I can also eat a whole bag of chips without even realizing it. I have to portion it out on a plate and not eat from the bag.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Doritos. Satan in a bag. Family size is nothing to me but a personal challenge...
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love ketchup chips. So much. Eat the whole bag with a 700 ml cola no problem.
    I only buy them if I figure I'm not gonna be eating for the rest of the day. Gross, and not healthy, but fits in my calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Some foods call to me, some don't.
    /shrug/

Single serving sizes help with some foods.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post - I too was wondering why I go crazy with certain foods (chips, mostly, those CANNOT be anywhere near me!), and why others (chocolate) can be in my house and I can just have a tiny bit every day and not think about it. Even though we have no answers as to WHY, I feel so much better that it's not just me experiencing this!
  • sijaeabc
    sijaeabc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Soda used to be a trigger food for me and now I'm 3 years soda-free. I just have to completely avoid those foods. I don't think it's useful to frame it in terms of will-power, that's just a recipe for feeling bad since there is so much blame and criticism of people who don't measure up to other people's ideas of it. "trigger" is a better idea and I also tend to think of it as a mild addiction. Something that just needs to be cut out completely because regulating it is hard-impossible, and why make life harder anyway?
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon buns! I could eat them until my teeth hurt. I will never give them up, just try to be more mindful and buy one at a time instead of a box of 6.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bread with butter and jelly! I swear I could eat an entire loaf. I try not to have bread at the house, but I have a son that takes his lunch to school so I have to buy it.
  • melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Funny how a lot of people have a problem with chips being the trigger. That's mine, too. I've been on MFP for 7 weeks and just last week brought chips back into the house. I went ahead and portioned them out into individual servings and put them on top of the fridge. I have done well only having one portion per day, but I still KNOW they are there. I want to be able to eat them in moderation. If it turns out that I can't, they are again banned from the house.
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My trigger foods are cereal (any kind), peanut butter, and pastries. They are not allowed in my house, so it's a good thing my husband doesn't care for them lol. I will start eating my trigger foods and it leads to full binges, where I just can't stop eating everything in sight. And when I say binge, I mean 2000+ calorie binges. While I'm eating I keep telling myself just finish it so it's gone and out of the house and I can't continue eating it tomorrow. I hate throwing out food but I have to keep reminding myself by binge eating I am basically using my body as a trashcan. Hopefully one day I will have this under control, in the meantime no junk in the house!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    sijaeabc wrote: »
    Soda used to be a trigger food for me and now I'm 3 years soda-free. I just have to completely avoid those foods. I don't think it's useful to frame it in terms of will-power, that's just a recipe for feeling bad since there is so much blame and criticism of people who don't measure up to other people's ideas of it. "trigger" is a better idea and I also tend to think of it as a mild addiction. Something that just needs to be cut out completely because regulating it is hard-impossible, and why make life harder anyway?

very well put, my sentiments exactly.

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my addiction. I have to limit myself so I prefer not to buy any for the house. However when I do have a craving, I'll buy one candy bar or even the mini candy size works even better and I can eat one of those and I'm ok. It took a while to gain self control.