eating all your calories?

Options
dipsl19
dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
so far ive been eating all the calories i burn from exercise, since thats basically what myfitnesspal says to do. but ive noticed that a lot of people im friends with on here come in under their calorie goal.

im confused because i used to just eat a set amount of calories for the day and then whatever i burned i just left alone, but one of the reasons i switched to myfitnesspal was an article i saw that said you should be eating what you burn for optimum weight loss.

thoughts? what's more conducive to weight loss? im just confused...

Replies

• innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    so far ive been eating all the calories i burn from exercise, since thats basically what myfitnesspal says to do. but ive noticed that a lot of people im friends with on here come in under their calorie goal.

im confused because i used to just eat a set amount of calories for the day and then whatever i burned i just left alone, but one of the reasons i switched to myfitnesspal was an article i saw that said you should be eating what you burn for optimum weight loss.

There's a lot of discussion out there about what you should do. Ultimately, it's up to you and how your body handles and processes the calories and how intense your workouts are. Go for awhile eating them, try eating some, try eating none. See what makes your body feel and perform its best, and how they affect your weight loss. It's kind of fun to experiment. I eat some of them sometimes, other days I eat them all. For *me*, I have to eat at least 1200 net (1200 consumed calories after I exercise) or I feel gross and lack energy in the following days.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    this is probably the most talked about topic on here. For me, I am only 7 pounds away from my goal. There fore it's difficult for me to lose weight if I eat back all my calories...let me correct that. It's impossible.
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I know that it says I came in under my calorie goal but its usually 100 calories or less under, depending on the amount of exercise I do. I try to eat back all of my calories but sometimes, I'm just too full, so I get as close as I can! And sometimes, I just have a couple Hershey's special dark chocolate chips for a snack after dinner to get closer to eating all my calories!
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your down 5 lbs and you just joined... you must be doing something right
  • c00ncc
    c00ncc Posts: 55
    Options
    I do not eat the calories burned while exercising...i look at it this way, you are supposed to burn so many calories just to lose a pound if you eat the burned calories what is the point of working out....IDK its my train of thought and its working for me so far. Hope you figure out what works for you.
  • cathyAprice
    Options
    I'm like others...I make sure my NET calories are at least 1200 but I just lowered my calories to 1200 so I've got to be sure I'm eating all of mine now.

If you get close to your goal, try zig zagging your calories and confuse your body -- say your calorie goal is 1500...eat 1200 one day, 1800 another, etc....just so your weekly avg is 1500.

My metabolism is almost non-existent :sad: with thyroid, menopause and heart condition...so it's SO hard for me to lose weight. But I will NOT give up.......if nothing else, at least I'm eating/living healthy now! :happy:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I eat about half of mine (because I'm not sure that the MFP estimate of what I've burned is accurate) and it has in no way slowed me down.

As you get closer to goal weight, it's important to have smaller deficits as more of your body is theoretically comprised of lean body mass that you'd like to keep. Your body just can't safely manage really large deficits within the healthy weight range and will cannibalize muscle and bone to get what it needs if you try to force it to work with large deficits.

Yes, for a time you can still drop weight very quickly by severely underfueling your body. However, if you'd like to look better (not just smaller) and MAINTAIN your loss, then you should not be going for a super-large calorie deficit so that you can keep as much of your muscle as possible. Obese people, who have very high body fat percentages, can manage a very large deficit because they have so much extra fat hanging around, but the relatively leaner shouldn't try that.
  • Mrs_Hull
    Mrs_Hull Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I wonder the same thing, too. It seems like I am eating more than I was before I was trying to lose weight, yet my weight was stationary then. I have noticed a slight difference in the scale this week, but I won't count my official weigh in until tomorrow.

My net calorie goal is just under 2000, which just seems high to me.
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have been eating roughly all the calories I burn from exercise. This doesn't always seem practical for me though because there are some days that I just end up burning too many calories for me to consume in a day. I think that it might be best to eat about half of your exercise calories. This way you have plenty of room for mistakes in food calories calculations and exercise calculations.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it... I wanted to lose FAT, not just lose weight.

In order to lose the fat and keep the muscle, I have to work the muscle and feed the muscle. So I eat back most of the my calories most of the time. And I've noticed that the closer I got to my goal, and the more calories I ate, the slower my "weight" loss was, but the bigger the fat loss was.

According the the US Navy Circumference Method of measuring body fat percentage, 23 of the 28 pounds I lost were from fat. The last 5 pounds I lost have been almost 100% fat. My BF percentage went from around 30% in December to around 20% now. I'll take a slower weight loss with larger fat loss, over quicker weight loss and losing lean body mass with it any day. :smile:
  • Mrs_Hull
    Mrs_Hull Posts: 25 Member
    Options

My net calorie goal is just under 2000, which just seems high to me.

That's not right. Ignore this goober. =) My net is 1440. The 2000 I got from what I'm supposed to eat if I count the exercise.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    hmm thanks for the feedback, guys! i think maybe ill see how it goes this week, maybe alternate days i do eat the calories back and days i dont, or maybe just use a "ceiling max" of 1500 net calories, so even if i burn 1,000 i wont eat them all. :)