Bulk up

Options
High, does anyone have any good tips on healthy foods with high calories.
I'm slim (not skinny ) and finding it hard to consume so much food.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Replies

• xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hit your protein goals then eat whatever you like. When i bulk, I simply hit my 180-200g protein a day (a little more than i need but who cares), then eat whatever. Ice cream, peanut butter sandwich, pizza, bbq, whatever. If you're eating pretty healthy through the day, it doesn't really matter, just get those calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you want to make sure that a majority of your calories are coming from carbs, so I would say plan to get about .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat, and fill in rest with carbs.

As long as you are getting adequate nutrition, it is fine to eat calorie dense foods like pasta, bagels, ice cream, pizza etc to fill in your calorie needs.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What does a typical day of eating look like for you? I find that most people don't have a solid "base plan" or know how to create one. I start my clients eating 4 meals per day as outlined in this simple inforgraphic.

After having the base plan in place for 3months then we play around with tweaks if necessary (which is not too often)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense.. some good ones on the list that are on the healthy side..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • mrflipmode
    mrflipmode Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A big thank you to you all for taking the time out to help.
    I've just joined the site and you all seem like a great bunch of helpful people.

Cheers !
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I aim for

0.8-1g / 1lb for protein
    0.4g / 1lb or less for fat

Then I use carbs for the rest to hit my calorie goal.

I found if I rely on too much fat, my weight gain goes straight on my waist.

My main carb sources are weetabix, rice, bread and bananas.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • janejr2016
    janejr2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Milk
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hit your protein goals then eat whatever you like. When i bulk, I simply hit my 180-200g protein a day (a little more than i need but who cares), then eat whatever. Ice cream, peanut butter sandwich, pizza, bbq, whatever. If you're eating pretty healthy through the day, it doesn't really matter, just get those calories.

I agree with this. Make sure you get your protein in and then eat whatever you want. Trying to eat 3,000+ 'clean' calories will drive you crazy. Milk, peanut butter, nuts/trail mix/dried fruits are great bulking tools.

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    mrflipmode wrote: »
    A big thank you to you all for taking the time out to help.
    I've just joined the site and you all seem like a great bunch of helpful people.

Cheers !

Would agree with all the above posts. I was like you when I first started bulking. Its an awful lot of calories alright. What I found helped was pre logging my day so I know what I was eating and when which would prevent situations where its 9pm in the evening, you have a million calories left and you are wondering how to fill them.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    janejr2016 wrote: »
    Milk

Would definitely agree with this. I drank 2 200ml of milk every day while bulking. Handy way to get the calories in.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Nut butter/ raw nuts are my go to when i'm eating in a surplus, a few tablespoons on a slice or two of bread easily adds a few hundred calories to my day without much effort.
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Mix everything (except oats and grains) into a smoothie if you can handle the disgusting taste and texture. Mask with protein powders, chocolate works best.
  • janejr2016
    janejr2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ice cream before bed like rich piano
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    janejr2016 wrote: »
    Ice cream before bed like rich piano

Whatever it takes