If I only liked eggs....what's for breakfast?

I'm not a newbie to losing weight. I'm down 77 lbs and at a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life.

I've found that a high protein breakfast keeps me full until lunch...so eggs. Blek. I just don't like them! I can tolerate them if they're hidden....This morning I took a Shady Brook Farms Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage, removed from casing, and browned with some peppers & onions, then added an egg, 1/4 cup of egg beaters, and 1/4 cup of fat free shredded cheddar...and cooked until most people would say it was burned (I cannot bring myself to eat an egg that is in the least bit runny). Add a little salt, and I can ALMOST enjoy that. Almost.

So 300 calories (give or take), almost no carbs (my personal trainer would be so proud), and my stomach doesn't growl until noon. Win/Win. Except I don't like eggs, and I can't bring myself to do that every morning.

Tomorrow I might make 3 pieces of french toast with Sara Lee Delightful bread (45 calories a slice) and 1/2 cup egg beaters, cinnamon, sugar free syrup and a couple of links of Jones turkey breakfast sausage. It won't be crazy calories, it'll taste really good going down. I'll be hungry in 2 hours and looking for a yogurt.

So what do you eat for breakfast that is in the 300 calorie range that holds you until lunch?

Replies

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    When I do eat breakfast:

Oatmeal, or:
    Eggs :), two of them scrambled with cheese, 3 turkey sausage links on the side and maybe a piece of toast.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited August 2016
    If you don't like the sight of eggs, you can add them into a breakfast burrito. Just brown up some sausage, sautee some peppers and onions and scramble some eggs, then wrap them in a tortilla wrap.

I'm the same way about eggs. They have to be fully cooked before I can enjoy them, and if I end up having an omelette, both sides have to be practically semi-burnt to ensure it's cooked all the way through.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Also remember that breakfast doesn't have to be 'breakfast food'...leftovers from dinner can be your first meal of the day, if you dislike eggs.

You can eat anything as long as it fits into your goals.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    You don't have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast. You could eat that same sausage skillet but with more vegetables and a small amount of potato or rice instead of the egg. Do you like yogurt? You could try mixing some Greek yogurt with some protein powder and topping that with some sliced fresh fruit...depending on the brands you use, that could give you 40-50g of protein, which is WAY more than you're ever going to get from eggs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2016
    I had chicken wings this morning...I grilled a bunch last night and had leftovers and it sounded like a tasty breakfast this morning.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Personally over the past week ive taken to eating cottage cheese every single morning with a little coarse black pepper, keeps me super full til even past my usual lunch time sometimes.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Why eggs? Any protein would work - beef, pork, poultry, fish, cheese, etc.
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    My go to breakfast is 1/2 of an english muffin with 1/2tbsp of almond butter, 1 tbsp sugar free strawberry jam, 1 apple and 1scoop protein powder with water. Oatmeal is a great one if you like it, i just cant do the consistency grosses me out.
  • hlltwin
    hlltwin Posts: 55 Member
    My mom isn't an egg-eater either. She used to eat hamburgers or pizza at breakfast (I'm sure she doesn't anymore since she's eating more healthy now but as we're both adults I haven't watched her eat breakfast since I was young).

As others have said. If you don't like eggs, don't make yourself eat them. Find a source of protein you like and eat that. Food shouldn't be something you force yourself to do, since it's necessary for life.
  • volkswiccan
    volkswiccan Posts: 1 Member
    My breakfast the past few days has been 8 ounces of chicken breast, 2 pieces of bacon, and stir fry vegetables.

Absolutely no sense in eating something you don't like at all just because it is 'healthy' or 'expected' by an arbitrary tradition. If my meals are a fight because I do not like them, I will abandon healthy eating and BINGE.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    I usually eat boiled eggs for breakfast. But sometimes I will have half a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. I usually add a Greek yogurt and fruit to whatever I'm having. In the winter time I eat oatmeal too.I like to have chicken wraps for lunch. I cook boneless skinless chicken thighs in the crockpot and they are ready to go whenever I want one. Wrap it in a tortilla and you are good to go. I eat it for lunch, but it would work for breakfast too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    kschramm7 wrote: »
    I'm not a newbie to losing weight. I'm down 77 lbs and at a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life.

I've found that a high protein breakfast keeps me full until lunch...so eggs. Blek. I just don't like them! I can tolerate them if they're hidden....This morning I took a Shady Brook Farms Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage, removed from casing, and browned with some peppers & onions, then added an egg, 1/4 cup of egg beaters, and 1/4 cup of fat free shredded cheddar...and cooked until most people would say it was burned (I cannot bring myself to eat an egg that is in the least bit runny). Add a little salt, and I can ALMOST enjoy that. Almost.

So 300 calories (give or take), almost no carbs (my personal trainer would be so proud), and my stomach doesn't growl until noon. Win/Win. Except I don't like eggs, and I can't bring myself to do that every morning.

Tomorrow I might make 3 pieces of french toast with Sara Lee Delightful bread (45 calories a slice) and 1/2 cup egg beaters, cinnamon, sugar free syrup and a couple of links of Jones turkey breakfast sausage. It won't be crazy calories, it'll taste really good going down. I'll be hungry in 2 hours and looking for a yogurt.

So what do you eat for breakfast that is in the 300 calorie range that holds you until lunch?

My fruit, veggie, protein powder smoothie definitely holds me to lunch. Without the egg and if the flax or chia (or whatever) were reduced this could easily hit 300 calories:

0ba98992f092bc959932a3657153f87c.png

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Scrambled eggs mixed with ham and shredded cheese is what I had today.
  • timurkhial
    timurkhial Posts: 4 Member
    I usually go with:

-Quark (150g-200g, when I really don't feel like eating I go with the 150 :wink: )
    -Oathmeal (around 30g)
    -Fruit (A whole banana, sliced, or any other fruit you have in the house)

In the past I simply couldn't stand food in the morning but I've been going with this for quite some time now :smile:
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    1/2 cup of vanilla non-fat yogurt; 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries; 1/4 cup Special K Granola....plus my 1 cup of coffee which is a must :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    kschramm7 wrote: »

Why not make the same thing as today and leave out the egg? The egg is only adding 72 calories and 6g of protein. Add a yogurt to breakfast and you don't lose protein or add many more calories. I don't eat stuff I don't like and overcooked eggs sound like the nastiest thing ever.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    You COULD eat a full english without the eggs for 350 cal. It breaks down like this:
    1 plum tomato- 18 cal
    8 oz mushrooms- 50 cal
    1/2 c Heinz British Beans- 100 cal
    2 jennie O turkey sausage links- 130 cal
    1 slice of real bacon- 45 cal

Works out to 343 cal, 32.6g of protein, 32.7g of carbs (13g sugar), and 12.8g of fat. Not too shabby and that's a LOT of food!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Breakfast for me is things like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories). I eat at 8 AM and am fine until noon.
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    I have an issue with eggs as well (I hate the taste and texture), but I still force myself to eat them.
    Sometimes I use raw liquid egg whites (pasteurized) and add them to 1/2 cup of oats and a scoop of protein powder. Then flavor with fruit if it fits my calorie/macro goal. You will not know they are there!