What's cookin good lookin?

What do you eat for dinner? Looking for foods I can make ahead and eat after I get home from the gym. Protein rich and satiating to curb late night snacking. Thank you! D ❤️

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Grilled chicken breast
    Baked salmon
    Brown rice
    Veggies
    Turkey breast
    Large salad
    Occasional pasta
    Sauté shrimp
  • Cheye823
    Cheye823 Posts: 4 Member
    I've been cutting meat out of my diet, and I find that a rice and veggie stir-fry is perfect.
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Have you researched the crock-pot meals or "dump meals?" There are some wonderful ideas you can tailor to suit your needs. Also, if soups are great ways to get protein and veggies. If you make hearty ones, they are usually very filling too. Then again, it depends on whether or not you eat soup during the summer/fall or if you prefer it more in winter/early springs ("too hot for soup").

I like (homemade--crock-pot method):
    Zuppa Toscana (the key is waiting to put the kale in til 5-minutes before eating...or the kale turns brown :/ )
    Beef Stew w/brown rice and LOTS of veggies
    Chicken, Veg, Taco-y soup (sounds odd, but it is spicy and filling with enough crunch to satisfy)
    Curry.... pretty much any curry
    Tomato & Bean soup
    ...really any soup/meal that sounds good that I can modify to increase veg/protein and lower overall cals from un-noticeable parts (e.g., apple sauce for butter in some recipes, almond/cashew milk vs cow milk, etc.)

Regular meals:
    Pan seared salmon
    Shrimp w/lemon and salt
    Massive salads with tasty goat cheese crumbles and balsamic vinegar
    Eggs and bacon with a slice of toast
    Grits w/bacon
    Oatmeal w/pecans (or walnuts, whatever's in the freezer)

Hope this helps.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    edited August 2016
    Gumbo
    Zatarans red/black beans and rice 660 cal
    Onion, green and red peppers ~100 cal
    Tomato Sauce 8oz, 80 cal
    Turkey Smoked Sausage 6 oz 270 cal
    Shrimp uncooked 6 oz 100 cal
    Olive oil 1 tbs 120 cal

1330 calories for the entire pot, serves 4
    332.5 cal per bowl and its SUPER FILLING! and tastes great

*edit to add olive oil
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Tonight we are having chicken Dijonaise, this week we have also had cashew chicken, and meatloaf. Caprese chicken is also good, as is Caramelized onion and bacon smothered pork chops/chicken and red curry chicken (had both of those this week also). All of these (except the meatloaf) cook in 30 minutes of less, have a decent amount of protein and are really tasty. The meatloaf can take longer depending on how thick it is.
  • dancin_homie
    dancin_homie Posts: 20 Member
    I like to put chicken breast in the crock pot with some good chunky salsa and when it's done I put a little pepper jack on it
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Most of my meals wouldn't fit the make ahead criteria. Stew, soup or chili would for sure. Stir fry could be prepped ahead of time and cooked in 5 min once you get home.

Sounds like you need to jump on the slow cooker meal craze.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    I'm making balsalmic chicken in the crockpot tonight. Going to roast some potatoes and a veggie.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Just had Nigel Slater's Thai green chicken curry. Replaced some of the chicken with veg.

Delicious, but you can tell he doesn't have to make meals like that the same time as supervising two kids who need a different meal cooking because curry is not within their limited food repertoire and hope that they don't knock lumps out of each other while I'm juggling pans. Chicken ended up a little chewy.
  • danicaliforn1a
    danicaliforn1a Posts: 46 Member
    Thanks everyone, getting out the slow cooker and loading up for stir frys. Wish me luck