What do you do when you can't afford healthier options?

Options
I am trying to move towards eating less and less processed foods. The problem that I am running into is being able to afford it. I have 4 boys at home, 2 of which are teenagers and even my 10 year old eats like a grown man. We don't eat out at restaurants because it would be WAY too expensive to feed them. My grocery bill on average is approx. $400 every other week and then once school is back in session, I will have to pay another $100 every two weeks for their lunch money.

I don't have the funds to purchase their foods and my foods and I also don't have the time to cook everything separately. I tried adding healthier options like brown rice instead of white rice and the boys hated it. When I buy apples, oranges and bananas, they eat it before I can get to it! What I have been doing so far is buying Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice frozen meals for me to help alleviate having to cook completely separate meals. But, I've been told that there is too much sodium in those meals.

I am so freaking frustrated and I don't know what to do! And aside from kicking them out of the house or refusing to buy them any food (which would be considered child neglect so I couldn't do that), what are my other options?

Replies

• GamecockFan14
    GamecockFan14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Buy items specifically for you, and hide your portion. I know this sounds extreme, but when my mom lived with me, she almost ate me out of house and home! I had to hide things.

and yes, frozen meals are ok once in a while, but theyre so high in sodium.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    chicken is a great healthy food that you can eat and so can they. You can make pasta with whole wheat noodles and they can pour on the sauce and won't know the difference.
  • TwinMamma09
    TwinMamma09 Posts: 140
    Options
    Have you tried couponing? I am a big couponer and I am able to get things for my family at about a 70% savings. Now granted it is more expensive to eat healthier, but you can still cut corners with coupons. I save money on all our toiletries and other household things that I can have extra for our grocery bill.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    When my mom was on a dieet at home, she made healthy foods, like what you did, and if we didn't like it we could either eat it or go hungry. End of discussion! You're trying to live your life healthier not only to look better but to feel better and live a longer life! This is something your kids can learn too, even at a young age. Had my mom taught me better eating habits I probably wouldn't be where I am today,
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I also have growing children, and one is handicapped and must be spoonfed pureed foods. Fixing a single meal for all of us can be a challenge.

I have learned to build a meal around a lean meat, chicken, or fish dish. Then I add a non-starchy vegetable dish that I like. I add two additional starches for the kids: rice/potatoes/noodles and bread/muffins with butter. I don't eat those.

We all enjoy the same meals -- I just don't eat the starches that they do. For Tabby, I take hers and pureed it in the food processor and add milk as needed for consistency.

Your kids need healthy foods, too. Despite the growing boy thing, they don't need chicken nuggets and pizza all the time -- they get that at school.

I use a crockpot to fix delicious main dishes that fit all my health criteria. I make large quantities and freeze what I don't use. I'm happy to share a couple of favorite recipes if you are out of ideas.
  • MamaMayo
    MamaMayo Posts: 30
    Options
    I am kinda in the same boat, we are living off of one income for the summer. I just buy lots of produce, things that I can bake instead of already made...lot cheaper. I do what I can! I use to do the frozen meals but yes they are high in sodium and get very costly. My suggestions is just buy more, more, & more fruits it's healthier for everyone. My kids have learnt to eat what I buy, no white expect potatoes, sometimes pasta (moderation for me) they even eat wheat bread w/ no HFCS! Overall, it has helped all of us including my husband, he is evening losing slowly, but losing! Best of luck to you! I am also a coupon person, they save me a lot in the long run. I only but what I need or eat...
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I say buy the brown rice! You don't have to cater to your boys, especially if they are teens. They can either learn to live with the brown rice, or make their own meal. There is nothing wrong with making yourself important at meals times. You are not a short order cook, what you need counts too. Kids will learn to eat the foods you are cooking.
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Learnin2LuvMe Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just have my hubby n son,but when I buy snacks and stuff for me,i always let them know that I got it just for me..they understand..ill end up sharing every now and then,but ive noticed that they like healthier choices. Sometimes I dont even tell them its fat free,and they can't tell the difference..Try adding salads to their meals and little changes,theyl learn to like it:)
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was listening to a podcast the other day on this topic actually! There is a neat website http://www.localharvest.org/ in which you can find farmers in your area that grow fresh foods and do a food box program weekly or bi-weekly for a cost that is lower than what you'd pay in grocery store. Also check out any local farmer's market sometimes they lower produce at the end of the day :)
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am not in this particular situation, but I do have three others in my household and they dont necessarily eat like I do now. And the budget has to allow me to continue my journey. So what I do is get things for me FIRST. There is always:
    1) a bag of frozen chicken breasts from walmart
    2) a bag of spinach
    3) double dozen of eggs
    4) brown rice (i found a recipe that adds a bit more flavor to it. My fam likes it, but i still cook white for them and make myself a pot and seperate for five lunches.
    5) fruit and raw veggies (we all eat these, so I just buy lots of the most cost effective, lasting kind) oranges, kiwis, grapes
    6) bag of good full fat cheese! yum! When you use the recommended amount, it adds flavor without going overboard.
    7) Wishbone salad dressing.
    8) Walmart frozen veggies (about 1.29 for a bag and teh serving sizes are only 25 calories!! which is huge!! you can double up on veggies to feel full without breaking the bank)
    9) frozen shrimp.
    10) some kind of wheat wrap

This normally doesnt add up to too much and some of it can be shared with the fam. everything else that I buy is for them. I can pretty much make what I need out of these foods for quite some time. I may mix up my salad and add tuna or the shrimp, but for hte most part this is it! The rest of the food is on things that they need or want. good luck!
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Girl I been there and done that, Feed them heavy meals and they won't eat as much. What do I mean by that. High protein meals, keep them away from junk food it will only make them more hungrier. make chili, ,beans, feed them oatmeal, eggs not sugar boxed cereal that stuff is all crap and they will be back in the kitchen in less than 30 minutes. You do the shopping you have the power to change the whole family's eating habits not just your own. Make it a family thing and teach them moderation. I had one greedy one. that I would have to dish out food to or else they would eat 4 bananas instead of 1. The Power is in your hands. Make it a family thing kids need healthy meals also, less salt and sugar for the whole family.

Bake your meats that way your eating healthy meat too. I eat only white rice I look at the Asians who eat white rice and they are not fat like us who embrace the brown stuff. I don't put salt in my rice, I wash it several times like the Asians on youtube do. You can have a lot of healthy options on that amount of money you need to make a calendar and a list and budget and stick to it.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just have my hubby n son,but when I buy snacks and stuff for me,i always let them know that I got it just for me..they understand..ill end up sharing every now and then,but ive noticed that they like healthier choices. Sometimes I dont even tell them its fat free,and they can't tell the difference..Try adding salads to their meals and little changes,theyl learn to like it:)

Adding salads is a great idea!! I did this and it makes my heart smile to see my young ones eating spinach salads!!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I also have growing children, and one is handicapped and must be spoonfed pureed foods. Fixing a single meal for all of us can be a challenge.

I have learned to build a meal around a lean meat, chicken, or fish dish. Then I add a non-starchy vegetable dish that I like. I add two additional starches for the kids: rice/potatoes/noodles and bread/muffins with butter. I don't eat those.

We all enjoy the same meals -- I just don't eat the starches that they do. For Tabby, I take hers and pureed it in the food processor and add milk as needed for consistency.

Your kids need healthy foods, too. Despite the growing boy thing, they don't need chicken nuggets and pizza all the time -- they get that at school.

I use a crockpot to fix delicious main dishes that fit all my health criteria. I make large quantities and freeze what I don't use. I'm happy to share a couple of favorite recipes if you are out of ideas.

I would love some recipe ideas. Thanks!
  • MzMiller1215
    Options

I have tried the "Don't touch my food" thing and it always somehow mysteriously disappears and no one knows who ate it. LOL. Ugh!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Some ideas:

Plan your time meticulously so that you build in time to cook your own stuff. Get up a few minutes earlier and throw together an egg-white and veggie scramble? heck, slap it in a tortilla, and sandwich thin, or a tortilla, and you're good to go on the road. Or stay up a bit later the night before and prep it - then nuke the eggs for half a minute the next morning and put them in whatever wrap you like.

If your boys are teenagers, surely they can put on a pot of rice for themselves and you can do the brown rice separately.

Use frozen vegetables and fruit. Seriously, they're just as (if not more) nutritious than the stuff you get at the grocery store that's been sitting for weeks already.

Skip your carb at night entirely sometimes, in favor of a carb-ish snack later in the evening, which eliminates the necessity of cooking two types of carbohydrates at all.

Whole-wheat pasta is great as long as you cook it for long enough.

Have you sat down and actually calculated how much it will cost for you to eat slightly different foods? I mean, if you're spending money on lean cuisines, etc. it might make more sense to create your own frozen meals on the weekends. And let's say you buy less expensive peanut butter for them and good stuff for you - well, your food is going to last a LOOOOT longer because you're the only one eating it. Go through the grocery flyers. Get obsessive, at least for long enough that you establish your new habits.

Use a crock pot. If you don't have one, it's worth the investment. A crock-pot pot roast can be made with potatoes and veggies, and you can pick out the potatoes and let your boys ransack them.

Hide your fresh fruit if you have to.

Try "golden potatoes" - which is mashed potatoes made with half white and half sweet potatoes.

Use your healthy leftovers whenever you need them, for snacks, for breakfast (even though it might be weird to eat dinner for breakfast).

If your work environment allows it, stash your stuff there.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with some other posters. If they don't like it, they don't have to eat it. They need to learn to eat healthy options also or they will be in the same boat 15 years from now that we are all in now. I don't have teenagers but I do have a two year old and he already knows that he doesn't have to eat but he doesn't get anything else.

I will also second couponing. It takes very little time (especially if you use a free database like couponmom.com) and I usually save 30-40% on my grocery bill every week which includes diapers for 2 and formula!
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    One thing I did was to stop buying anything in a box. Like mac n cheese. I still make them mac n cheese. I just use the kraft cheese melts instead. They still get it and I know what is in it.

I'm also constantly looking at recipe websites to find things that are healthy that I know they will eat. Or I make healthier versions. They've been eating this way for awhile now and no one has really noticed. My boys are younger so they don't eat a lot at the moment but I've got a 275 pound husband that's built like a linebacker and can eat enough for 5. When he moved in with the girls and I my food bill tripled lol. But I plan my meals by what is on sale and buy frozen veggies most of the time. I've also found planning out my meals and going to the store with a list in hand keeps me in my budget.

I also make a quick and easy pasta sauce that I freeze for those nights we need something quick.

I also buy snacks that are just for me. They know they are off limits and they have their own. But I've found that it's easier to make a lean protein and 2 veggies and me just eat a smaller portion. Our food bill hasn't really changed.
  • MzMiller1215
    Options
    I was listening to a podcast the other day on this topic actually! There is a neat website http://www.localharvest.org/ in which you can find farmers in your area that grow fresh foods and do a food box program weekly or bi-weekly for a cost that is lower than what you'd pay in grocery store. Also check out any local farmer's market sometimes they lower produce at the end of the day :)

Wow! I didn't know that. I will definitely have to check that out!
  • SUSANB37
    SUSANB37 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! My family (3 kids, hubs, mom) would eat up all of my stuff first so what I ended up doing was buying a mini fridge for my room. I know it sounds silly or extreme but I buy my fruits, veggies, yogurt, etc and then stash it in my fridge. They also get those kinds of things but go through it much faster than I do, especially since school is out for the summer.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine with three hungry teenage boys has them take turns planning and preparing one meal a week, including shopping with her so they can see how expensive food is. Not only did she teach her boys how to cook and prepare budget conscious meals, but they learned the cost of going to the cupboard and eating half a box of cereal--the food budget has to be shared by the whole family and not just to satisfy their own personal appetite. The boys used to have a contest to see who could make the cheapest, best tasting meal.