Fear of the Swimsuit

Options
How do I get over my fear of wearing a swimsuit? I haven't owned one in years even though I live in Texas so I could always just turn down an offer to go swimming for that reason. We found out today my husband won a trip through work to go to Hawaii at the beginning of October. He also won a trip back in 2000 when I was 80lbs heavier and I wore a swimsuit then, but I've got saggy skin now and much more cellulite 16 years later.

I want to enjoy myself and swim in the ocean and the lagoons the hotel has, but I feel like I won't be able to because of how horrible I look. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Texas all my life and taken few vacations. One I did take was to Hawaii. If you don't play in the water you might as well go to Corsicana instead.
  • Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like to wear male swimming trousers on my bathing suit. It makes me feel comfortable.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I would splurge on a swimsuit - if you buy something you really love, that's comfortable and fits you well, then you'll be much more likely to want to wear it. Esther Williams makes really popular vintage suits - they look good, fit a wider range of body types well, and aren't string bikinis which make them often easier to wear.

When I was uncomfortable with my weight but wanted to swim, I wore men's trunks and a tankini top. I may have looked silly, but I was comfortable and covered and could still swim!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I wear one piece swimsuits with skirts - hides most of my loose skin on my thighs, it's flattering, and honestly I look great in them... it's one of these http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2325300/womens-croft-barrow-tummy-slimmer-bow-swimdress.jsp?color=Eggplant Purple

I didn't even feel bad wearing it in front of my male friend a couple weeks ago... that's saying a lot from me!

You could always just wear swim shorts and a T shirt though... but honestly if you look around, most women have loose skin/cellulite/too much fat and I'm sure you'll see a lot who look worse than you... and really, nobody cares.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, I rarely go swimming because I loathe wearing a swimsuit in public. In fact, I went in August 2015 and don't plan to go again until late 2017 or early 2018. Yes, I have to plan it that far in advance.

Anyway, my suggestion is to spend the money on finding one that you like and is comfortable. Then, keep in mind that you are going to be very far from home, mostly around people who you likely will not see again. That, to me, is the key part of getting up the nerve to go to out in the suit the first time. After that, it gets easier because you look around and realize that no matter what shape they are in, the vast majority of people are enjoying themselves just fine and not sitting around staring at you.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I got myself one full-piece and one tankini type swimsuits, and then bought women's board shorts to put over my bottoms. If it's just me and the hubby I'll wear a bikini to tan, otherwise I usually do the go-to board shorts solution. They're easy to take off if you decide you're comfortable enough to ditch them for a while and there are a lot of super cute options. In Mexico, I bought myself a sarong and used that to cover up in-between swims. Honestly, I didn't care much in Mexico though because we were far away from home and I wasn't going to see any of the people there again anyways! It was actually kinda of nice :smile: Hope you enjoy your trip, sounds amazing!!
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Www.swimsuits4all.com
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    but I feel like I won't be able to because of how horrible I look. Any advice is appreciated.

I love this website as well http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/. They have all the sizes, looks and prices you want. And, if I may say something, regardless how much pounds you have lost, gain, what stage you are in your life etc etc, there is a moment we need to own it who we are, the good, the bad and the ugly. You have to start learning to love who you are, your looks, everything about you... and I am serious about it. It take a different attitude in your brain, different way of thinking, you have to work to change that image of you in your head. Positive reinforcement many times a day. Read people who have positive body image regardless of size. A lot of people have flabby skin and almost every women have cellulite, so what. You can work on that in the future, but don't let that be in your way to enjoy your vacations and your life.

Enjoy!

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    This is happening at the right time of year, a lot of department stores will have swimsuits on clearance. This means you can get a nice, expensive, well-constructed one at a reasonable price. These days there's a huge range of styles with varying levels of coverage and support for different parts of your body. Certain brands come with shapewear and ruching. ModCloth (http://www.modcloth.com/shop/swimwear) carries some cute and unusual things, too. If you think two-pieces are more comfortable, you'll find high-waisted bottoms and fuller-coverage tops on there.

After you pick one, get used to wearing it. Maybe even find a pool at home so you can wear it out and realize no one is looking at you. If you're really, really, really uncomfortable still right before you head to Hawaii, you can always get a rash guard and rock the surfer look - that won't look out of place there. But I hope you can work up to feeling good in your own skin!
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    @AngelinaB_ , fantastic message.

I have never disliked my body, except the look of it at 54-55, but now I absolutely love it. I am always amazed at what I can do, how far I can push, and how I keep improving.
    It is quite a giddy head space to be in.

Cheers, h.

That's the spirit H, and if I may say you are stunning!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,219 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to respond . I did end up buying a suit from that website and it was on sale and even had underwire, which is hard to find in plus size for some reason. I'll do my best to not worry about what other people might be thinking and just have fun!! Thanks again!

Yay! Have a great time!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Google 'swim skirt', 'swim dress', and/or 'modest swimwear' and you come up with stuff like this:

sqy1496awzdq.jpg

It's not all weird cuts and ugly patterns these days. :)

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ooh I love that 'swim dress' @grinning_chick.

It makes me think, the red dress I am wearing in my profile pic is actually a 'swim dress' with a separate bottom. I have 3 of them. I don't wear them for swimming, they are just great dresses for cruises as I can get wet or go in the ocean with them and they dry fast.

OP I hope you post a link to your swimsuit choice.

Cheers, h.